New Cluster + Paint | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Cluster + Paint

W

WhiteLimited

New Cluster + Paint...

So I just got my new 2001 White Sport Trac cluster in the mail. The guy sent it 4th class so it took FOR ever to get up to Alaska! So I will not be putting it in until I have my paint for my interior stuff. I got the pain quote its 103$ witch have but have not picked it up yet. Plus I need some things for my garage before I can paint in there. Big florescent(sp) lights, Water separator for the air compressor. Then I should be good to go. I will be painting Things in my truck to match my head liner. My head liner is blue and I will be getting Chevy Cobalt Blue to match.

Right now I have already painted my pillers(sp) and back window trim, black to make it look like new paint they were faded pretty bad. The hole point for the pillers is, that I am getting it ready for the Show N' Shine on Sunday witch is the biggest car show up here. People from the lower 48 even come up to it. A lot bringing cars with them to show. The only reason I know that is the My Classic Car guy was up here for it last year for it. The Alaskan episode just played a month ago I think, thats where I got the info!

Heres the pillers(sp) before:
0008.jpg

Here they are now:
0023.jpg

Here is the gauge cluster that just came in:
0011.jpg

Here is the head liner:
Picture056.jpg

Picture041-1.jpg

Once I get the painting done and the cluster in I will update this! You don't know how hard it is to wait! I'm so happy :) But having a new thread open is fun because I get to talk to you all!:salute:

UpDate(8/14/08)
Ok so I got everything painted today! I will get it all put together tomorrow and updat with even more pictures!
0016.jpg

0024.jpg

0026.jpg

0028.jpg

0032.jpg

ALL DONE!(8/15/08)
Ok so heres the final product! It sure pops but thats what I wanted and I love it! Matches the headliner perfectly! There are 2 imperfections I will fix down the road. The only was that you can see is the cup holders, They started to bubble so I stopped and never got the second coat of blue on them. So it is lighter then everything else, but it will get fixed...
ALSO
I got the 01 sport tract gauge cluster in too.
0042.jpg

0044.jpg

0058.jpg

0055.jpg

0054.jpg

0056.jpg

0057.jpg

0066.jpg

Is was the last big "cosmetic" change I will be doing. Working on headers next :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice, what year explorers do those clusters fit?

Nice, what year explorers do those clusters fit?

They will fit 1995-01 but it is the best to take them apart and use the over lay. If you want to just put it in with no mods it will weir up directly with a 1998-01. 1995-1997 Just use the over lay, white part has different plug ins.

that'll look awsome, cant wait to see what it turn out to look like

You will have a front row seat to see it! Since your my buddy in Alaska!

They will fit 1995-01 but it is the best to take them apart and use the over lay. If you want to just put it in with no mods it will weir up directly with a 1998-01. 1995-1997 Just use the over lay, white part has different plug ins.

Ah that is good to know. I might have to find a broken one.

I have a question! I'm sanding and prepping for paint, What will get this rubber coating off the cup holders and what not? I know a lot of sanding will but thats ALOT of sanding. Could I just paint over it?

looks good so far keep up the good work danny

What rubber coating? Are you talking about the "felt" like material? I tried everything I could think of to get it off but gave up and bought a "sport" 1 pc console.

What rubber coating? Are you talking about the "felt" like material? I tried everything I could think of to get it off but gave up and bought a "sport" 1 pc console.

No the 1995-01 on the cup holder, message center...There is a rubber coating...

are you talking about the rubber thing at the bottom of the cup holder? If so that should just pop out.

No, the Whole thing from the factory was sprayed with a rubber finish...Go run your nails along the cup holders or message center...

UpDate
Ok so I got everything painted today! I will get it all put together tomorrow and updat with even more pictures! Check the first post for pictures!

ALL DONE!(8/15/08)
Ok so heres the final product! It sure pops but thats what I wanted and I love it! Matches the headliner perfectly! There are 2 imperfections I will fix down the road. The only was that you can see is the cup holders, They started to bubble so I stopped and never got the second coat of blue on them. So it is lighter then everything else, but it will get fixed...
ALSO
I got the 01 sport tract gauge cluster in too.
0042.jpg

0044.jpg

0058.jpg

0055.jpg

0054.jpg

0056.jpg

0057.jpg

0066.jpg

Is was the last big "cosmetic" change I will be doing. Working on headers next :salute:

Looks great man, that's an awesome color blue. Why didn't you do the radio bezel? Also, how hard was that headliner to do and what was involved? Headliner came out great!

I have a quick question, that info thing next to the cup holders that says "low fuel level", where can I find one of those for my ex.

I have a quick question, that info thing next to the cup holders that says "low fuel level", where can I find one of those for my ex.

Ebay, junkyards, online part suppliers. Keep in mind if your truck does not already have one, which I assume, you need the complete wiring harness for it and swapping for the message center wiring harness is no simple task.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good! why did you leave the fake wood?? now you need to get a blue cell to match

Back