new engine and now no heat | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new engine and now no heat

basicconcepts

Reaction score
so i replace the engine in an 01 explorer with an engine from a 99 every thing went great no problems i did use some parts from the 01 engine (water pump ac alt ps pump lower and upper intake wiring harness fuel rail and injectors) i also got a new thermostat upper and lower rad hoses and heater hoses the rad was never changed now im getting a hot upper rad hose cold lower cold heater hoses and the coolant doesnt heat up (i stuck my finger in the rad and the coolant was like room temp) so i flushed everything heater core rad and block put everything back together and no change it seems as if the coolant isnt circulating which is leading me to believe its the water pump but i was also told that the rad could be bad and according to the gauge its under heating im completely out of ideas and would really like to avoid slapping parts on this car that dont need to be replaced

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you put in a new thermostat?... my old age did not read where you did.

if the radiator is clogged you will not circulate fluid, it should still use the heater core as a 2nd radiator.

water pump?

also did you bleed the coolant?

did you put in a new thermostat?... my old age did not read where you did.

if the radiator is clogged you will not circulate fluid, it should still use the heater core as a 2nd radiator.

water pump?

also did you bleed the coolant?

yes theres a new stat and i dont think the rad is clogged i did get plenty of water from the hose to run thru it maybe 15 min

its possible if its not getting pumped out but i let the truck run for at least 30 min with the cap off

with the cap off, and to make life easier theres a bucket you can attach to the radiator, which will prevent it from spilling out.

what happens when you raise the rpm's with the cap off.

I always have a hard time getting all the air burped.

What I do is raise the front of the vehicle until the radiator cap is higher than the heater core, fill, and run engine for a few minutes with cap on.

Turn off the engine and listen for bubbling in the reservoir.Loosen the cap and you should hear bubbles release.
refill radiator, and replace cap

I repeat this on- off, cap off, refill,cap on about 5 times to get all the air out

with the cap off, and to make life easier theres a bucket you can attach to the radiator, which will prevent it from spilling out.

what happens when you raise the rpm's with the cap off.

i just throw an oil drain pan under there to catch anything

the fluid will drop and now that i think about it leads me to believe its not the water pump

I always have a hard time getting all the air burped.

What I do is raise the front of the vehicle until the radiator cap is higher than the heater core, fill, and run engine for a few minutes with cap on.

Turn off the engine and listen for bubbling in the reservoir.Loosen the cap and you should hear bubbles release.
refill radiator, and replace cap

I repeat this on- off, cap off, refill,cap on about 5 times to get all the air out

ill give this a try i really dont want to have to replace anything so hopefully its just an airlock

depending where you are, well, here in Kansas my truck has been having a hard time even getting to 195 it seems. It has been very cold.

i just throw an oil drain pan under there to catch anything

the fluid will drop and now that i think about it leads me to believe its not the water pump

if its pouring out, when you rev it, its definitely air locked.

depending where you are, well, here in Kansas my truck has been having a hard time even getting to 195 it seems. It has been very cold.
im in SC it was almost 60* today

if its pouring out, when you rev it, its definitely air locked.
it doesnt come out when i rev it it drops into the rad then when i let off it will spill a little

could it be the heater control valve and is it this
100MEDIA95IMAG0132.jpg

Back