New Explorer Concept revealed | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Explorer Concept revealed

okay, i just threw up in my mouth a little.

but i guess this is about the same as bringing back a name like 'Charger' and slappin it on a family sedan w/ a v6 (and upgrade options of a v8). or slapping the name 'GTO' on, what looks to me like, a two door drand prix. (even tho they did offer the 6 liter v8 with it).

i would also sign that petition.

but youve got to think. making the 'Ex' (if you can even call it that) more family-friendly is just going to help their sales. i mean, honestly, how many ex's do you see on the road everyday that has a lift, mud tires, steel bumper, winch, or something to that affect?
in a city of 50-70,000 there may be 2-3,000 expos. i have never seen one lifted around here 0 albeit maybe a few with brush guards or whatnot....

for the majority of it's use, the ex is a grocery getter/ taxi for soccer practice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't disagree with the fact that the majority of explorers are for 'grocery getting' and what-not. But it seems to me like there are tons of people out there that buy explorers or any other suv because of the utility that it offers, and also for the fact that they could engage 4-lo if they ever needed to, even though the chances they wont are far greater, and these buyers know that in reality. Also, a lot of suv drivers chose to drive an suv because of the solid, safe feeling they provide over a sedan, and the feeling of sitting higher above traffic, but if the new suvs are built off of sedan platforms with soft car-like rides, then what can these people turn to now?

Can I take back my vote on "would you buy another Explorer". It looks like it will be fuel-efficient all right, but it definitely got taken behind the woodshed with the old ugly stick and a gravel road like the one my ex lived on would probably be a stretch for it. We can only hope that Ford will bring back the Bronco in the same fashion that Toyota brought back the FJ. I have to say I didn't like the FJ's looks at first, but it is growing on me. I just might if Ford can't get their acts together.

Lots more pictures here:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/detroit-2008-ford-explorer-america-concept/559728/

The exterior is just hideous.

exploreramercon_07.jpg

If it was squared off a little bit more the styling would be acceptable. It's like the new Toyota Highlander, where you can't really tell where one side ends and the other begins. :confused: But good styling wouldn't even make up for the fact that it's a CAR.

Explorer America:shoot:

Id rather Ford let the Explorer die then have this garbage impersonate it.

Come on guys- that is so far away from a production vehicle... The other thing is- technology changes. As much as I would like another Gen II Explorer, in today's market, it would hardly sell. Small, terrible mileage, old styling- it's aged. Ford needs to sell to people that are buying other makes to survive. As much as I could say "I'd never own that hideous Ex" when it came down to it, I'd buy a Ford- and a lot of you all would too, whether you admit it or not. And probably that one if it came down to it... Granted, the towing isn't there, but 80% of the model isn't done yet. Have some faith. Concepts are to be taken with a grain of salt, but they can't make another Gen III/IV- too many cooler designs are out there to keep the Gen III/IV Ex on the shopping list for non Ford buyers- which is who Ford needs to lure.

And I just made the cave pic my wallpaper. :D

Well, it has some good angles...

this looks like a miniature suburban... some angles are not so bad, if i were doing something for the street only, that might not be a bad choice. but how will the actual version look compared to this?

On the plus side, if anybody were to actually try to build this up and offroad it, it would be able to survive a rollover..
exploreramercon_01.jpg

:rolleyes:

I'm not sure what's funnier to look at, the explorer, or that vomiting smilie.

And, while I'm at it..one more....

This is NOT the rear hatch..This is the front....

exploreramercon_07.jpg

Edit: Had to add vomiting smilie..

puke.gif

Well yll are about to freak but i think it looks good.

BAN BURNS.

Just kidding. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. Even when it is wrong.:p:

am i the only one excited about double sas?

Its all centered around the X. Like the front end and the x on the tires. Which is sweet

what did they do?

It looks like a fricken scion

NYOL59901060532-big.jpg

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've had dumps today that had more appeal than that monstrosity. but to be fair that "rock" formation is pretty neat

Its...like..a minivan
puke.gif

exploreramercon_03.jpg

it had to be winched out cause those are some pretty mean pebbles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lets just hope there are some Ford Executives or Designers that look at this forum and see just how well all of the actual die hard Explorer fanatics are relieving the E***orer America. Ford you have already created on road only crossovers, The Flex and the Taurus X, leave the frame and a V8 option in the Explorer. Im going to cry. :(

Back