New Ford Explorer Sport: Fuel-Efficient, High-Performance SUV | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Ford Explorer Sport: Fuel-Efficient, High-Performance SUV

The stuff put out these days depreciates so much when you take them new off the lot.....i will never buy a new car. The stuff made today you cant hardly work on theyre so computerized.
Yeah sure id love a new explorer but not for the prices ford charges plus dealer markup. Hell, i have only ever had one new car and that was a 97 ford aspire in 97 lol. I am picky yes but i think everyone should b if they want to spend hard earned cash every month on a vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Theres too much plastic used on new cars these days...

The stuff put out these days depreciates so much when you take them new off the lot.....i will never buy a new car. The stuff made today you cant hardly work on theyre so computerized.
Yeah sure id love a new explorer but not for the prices ford charges plus dealer markup. Hell, i have only ever had one new car and that was a 97 ford aspire in 97 lol. I am picky yes but i think everyone should b if they want to spend hard earned cash every month on a vehicle.

I 100% agree against buying brand new. I bought my '02 Explorer in '05 for $14,500 and it cost nearly $40,000 when new. We recently bought a '10 Milan Premier for $17,000 that cost almost $27,500 when new.

The only way I'd buy new is if I just had to have it and I had the money to spend. Otherwise, I'll wait for someone else to take the hit and then buy whatever it is I want;)

I 100% agree against buying brand new. I bought my '02 Explorer in '05 for $14,500 and it cost nearly $40,000 when new. We recently bought a '10 Milan Premier for $17,000 that cost almost $27,500 when new.

The only way I'd buy new is if I just had to have it and I had the money to spend. Otherwise, I'll wait for someone else to take the hit and then buy whatever it is I want;)

True that. For instance, I'd love the new Coyote equipped Mustang GT. But I'm not about to fork over 37,000 dollars for a little bit bump in HP and an extra gear. Although there's alot of other upgrades and the Ford sync to consider. If it was cheaper. I'd go through the labor of swapping drive trains because the potential of that motor is super impressive.

Theres too much plastic used on new cars these days...

Weight reduction for fuel mileage, cheaper to manufacture, easier to shape and softer than metals.

In my opinion the 5th gen is a fat crossover. If it was still a midsized suv it would have a V8 option and a lot of other things. I just don't feel they should have carried the "Explorer" name to it.
I agree....but love my explorer crossover! If you need a "truck" get an expedition or f series.

MUH FOUR DOOR

Lazy, dumb

Ford engineering scum

LOL, the 3.5TT Explorer Sport will make a Hemi Durango look like a I-4 overweight POS... As a matter of fact I bet a tune and exhaust 3.5TT Explorer will put a hurting on a 2012 Jeep SRT8.

-[/url]

Is this for real or are we all stuck in "wishfull thinking land"?

:salute:

Dont know - just curious as the Jeep/Durango guys are all scoffing at us!

Which part do you disagree with?

If you run calculations based on flywheel horsepower, and vehicle weight, the Grand Cherokee comes out ahead in stock form with a 12.94 sec 1/4 mile while the Explorer Sport comes in at 13.70 sec 1/4 mile. The Cherokee is heavier by 500lbs, but it's extra 120hp more than cover for the extra weight.

I would have to go with a modified V-8 over a modified V-6 as far as bang for your buck with modifications.

That said... a 13 sec Explorer is still nothing to sneeze at:burnout:

From experience at the track I have found the calculators on this site: http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm to be very accurate when the correct numbers are plugged in. It's doubtful that either vehicle could run those numbers on street tires. The calculator assumes that you're getting optimal traction.

Which part do you disagree with?

You suggesting that a tune and exhaust only almost 5000lbs suv with a v6 will rape a SRT8 jeep. A flex ecoboost runs low 14's with a few hundred pounds less weight, I predict the explorer sport will be running mid 14's. Who knows how the engine is detuned since its the least powerful 3.5 ecoboost in the lineup...

It'll most likely make your 3rd gen look like a slow outdated piece of crap though, I can bet on that....

It doesn't matter, we know nobody will be modding any new 5th gens, because all they like to do is complain about my ford touch and interior rattles....

Dont know - just curious as the Jeep/Durango guys are all scoffing at us!

The current Hemi Durango beats the regular 3.5 Explorer in the 1/4 by roughly .5 seconds. The Taurus SHO and Flex Ecoboost are running the 1/4 around 14 flat give or take and I expect the Explorer Sport to be right with them. A Tune only Flex has run a best of 13.3 at full weight.

The 2012 Jeep SRT8 has shown to be a little slower in the 1/4 (runs mid-low 13's) compared to the 1st Gen SRT8. If you go back a page that compares a Taurus SHO with a tune only against a stock 2012 Jeep SRT8, the Taurus slowly walks away. I expect the Explorer Sport with a tune and exhaust to run with or beat a stock 2012 Jeep SRT8.

I will take back what I said about the Durango looking like a POS. The interior quality is far superior to previous Durangos and it is a very nice ride.

The Jeep SRT8 will own the Explorer in the twistys and without question in braking(6-piston calipers and 15" rotors..:eek:), but I'm curious to see what a tune/exhaust Explorer Sport will do in the 1/4...

You suggesting that a tune and exhaust only almost 5000lbs suv with a v6 will rape a SRT8 jeep. A flex ecoboost runs low 14's with a few hundred pounds less weight, I predict the explorer sport will be running mid 14's. Who knows how the engine is detuned since its the least powerful 3.5 ecoboost in the lineup...

It'll most likely make your 3rd gen look like a slow outdated piece of crap though, I can bet on that....

It doesn't matter, we know nobody will be modding any new 5th gens, because all they like to do is complain about my ford touch and interior rattles....

I never said that a tune/exhaust Explorer will "rape" an SRT8 Jeep, but will put a "hurting" on one. How you make of that is up to you.

I looked a few 5th gen Explorers and without question it made my 3rd gen look like an outdated POS. Comparing speed to the Sport, I will get owned every time.

I think there will be more people modding these than you think. Several have tuned their SHO's and Flex's, so why wouldn't they do the same to the Explorer? Heck, they are now finally able to tune the F150 Ecoboost and there will be a demand for that.

I never said that I tune/exhaust will rape, but will purt a "hurting" on one. How you make of that is up to you.

I looked a few 5th gen Explorers and without question it made my 3rd gen look like an outdated POS. Comparing speed to the Sport, I will get owned every time.

I think there will be more people modding these than you think. Several have tuned their SHO's and Flex's, so why wouldn't they do the same to the Explorer? Heck, they are now finally able to tune the F150 Ecoboost and there will be a demand for that.

My wife won't let me tune or do anything to our Ecoboost Flex. I purchased a 6 year warranty and 6 yrs prepaid maintenance. So it really makes no sense. Besides its fast as is. I drive through the rockies a few times a year (600km trip one way) and there is not much that i've come across that can keep up. Last year me and an X5 pulled out to pass at the same time, he ate my dust.

Too bad they don't make this for the Flex:

445 Ecoboost

The Flex link there only has an ECU flash good for a 34 HP gain (for $800). Maybe the Flex will get some love like the SHO eventually. Or even the Ex Sport...

a explorer 13 years newer than mine with a smaller engine and still the same lousy gas mileage.
my 2000 sport with a 4.0 liter ohv v-6 gets 15-16 city .you would think something newer would do better .sure theres alot more horsepower ,but who buys an explorer for its horsepower?

would i like to own one?

sure ,but not at those prices .

if they are getting 16 mpg city ,keep in mind they didnt drive that thing on nothing but a test track .expect lower real world numbers .

Too bad they don't make this for the Flex:

445 Ecoboost

The Flex link there only has an ECU flash good for a 34 HP gain (for $800). Maybe the Flex will get some love like the SHO eventually. Or even the Ex Sport...

Liveronis has tuned(tune only) a Flex that has gone 13.3 at full weight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

knocking who buys a new car, if you can't afford it well dont knock who can..... there is nothing like driveing a new car what ever make it is you buy what you like and what youn can afford....... thats that but dont knock some one that can buy it !!!!! i drink coke you drink pepsi thats why a box of crayons has more than 200 colors pick the one you like !!! sorry but just venting to al these play hater's

Back