New guy here with question before I Buy | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New guy here with question before I Buy

SparkSVT

Reaction score
Im right now looking for a 04-05 V8 Powered Explorer. I was wondering if the V8 in this year Explorer is any good? I need to tow a 3500 pund Mustang on an open car trailer with it. Any feedback?

Thanks

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im right now looking for a 04-05 V8 Powered Explorer. I was wondering if the V8 in this year Explorer is any good? I need to tow a 3500 pund Mustang on an open car trailer with it. Any feedback?

Thanks

Chris

I can not speak to the engine but the vehicle itself does good job towing. I towed a 3000 pound trailer with my V6 Explorer and it did a very good job with it.

I don't like the soft rear springs on these Explorers. I towed our race car ('88 Monte Carlo) to the track with mine once, and while it did do a fine job, it looked like it had a load in the diapers with that much weight on the rear of it. My buddy's '94 K1500 does a much better job in both the balance and power departments. That TBI 350 Chevy is great for towing even if it's not the world's most technically advanced engine.
My Explorer is a bit lackluster in the torque department, but once rolling, it wasn't bad. Taking off was a bit slow, but it got the job done.

Ask if you can try the Explorer out for a day, and hook your trailer up to it and see how you like it. You might find that an Expedition might be better for your needs, depending on how often you tow your car and how long of a distance.

You Can Have My 04

I would be glad to GIVE you my 04 Explorer Limited V8. It has had several thousands of dollars worth of mechanical issues. So what I would advise to you is that if you want an explorer, your best bet would be an 06 or later. 04 was a very very bad model year. I have 76000 miles and tons of issues. My vehicle looks so good on the outside with the beautiful ceramic white color and chrome wheels. Inside is pretty good too, quad leather seating heated seats all the options. I have air conditioning condensor/compressor (expensive) leak, power steering pump leak, have had 4 wheel bearings replaced 1 of which was to replace one that was put on 10000 miles prior. Bad Rack and Pinion, Rear Axle Seal Leak and my engine light came on but we can't get a reading no power to connector. This vehicle was super for the first 50000 miles but one of my back wheel bearings was so bad and being female had no clue and thank god someone happened to drive my car and say wow there is some play in this and we had it checked and that wheel bearing was so bad im lucky my kids and i weren't in a bad wreck. My back up sensor works when it wants... I give kuddos to my v8 engine though, very powerful. So my advice to you is forget 04-05 opt out for the 06 at least hopefully they have resolved these horrible issues. I have had a few other issues as well oh and I bought mine used at 17000 miles and the rear axle assembly was replaced right before I bought it and I never knew it till 2 years later! So just be leary of 04... I love the way mine looks and drives but thousands of dollars of problems and no warranty left is pathetic

So one example of a problematic '04 makes every single one bad??!? I am sorry that your particular vehicle has had as many issues as it has, but that doesn't mean every single one is that bad, or even remotely close. How many other '04 Explorer owners have you talked to that can back up your comment about the '04 model year being "very very bad"?, and how do you know for certain that the newer ones are any better?

So far, my '04 with at present check ~82,000 miles, has exhibited very little problems. I had to replace one rear wheel bearing at ~70,000 but with sealed bearing/hub assemblies that aren't greaseable, that's to be expected...They'll only last so long. I've seen 30-40K mile Grand Ams and Sunfires with noisy wheel bearings, so it's not just Ford's bearings that fail.
It wasn't a hard job, nor was it that expensive of a part to replace.
Other than that, I redid all the brakes just because I was tired of the crummy mushy feel of the factory installed ceramic brake pads, and went with a more performance-oriented carbon metallic pad with new rotors on all 4 corners. It made the brakes much better, though I'm still not overly thrilled with the pedal feel.

I'd trust mine to go anywhere.

I agree with E.B. My 04 has had some issues but I alos put 67,000 miles on it in 3 years. I have only had to do normal wear and tear repairs such as brakes, tires, bushings, ABS sensor. I got a bit irritated when I had some minor tranny issues at first but it was all covered under warrenty and was fixed. I can't complain it has done me well over the past few years and hopefully for the next few years. You will always find a make,model,year from every manufacturer that has a problem at least once.

I have a 2002 4x4 Limited with V-8 and tow package. I tow a horse trailer (1700lbs) plus two horses (1200lbs each) for a total weight of 4100 lbs. I don't have a problem towing. Of course with live animals I'm never in a race so I accelerate within reason and consideration for animals standing in the trailer. Stopping is not a problem since the trailer has its own brakes. You want to watch your tongue weight to make sure it is in spec. I think mine is about 170 lbs if I remember correctly. As long as you don't exceed a reasonable tongue weight you will not have an issue (contact of front wheels with the ground) because of the shorter wheelbase of an SUV nor will you have that "overloaded" appearance on the rear springs/shocks. You don't want to overload (front tire contact) or underload (fishtailing) the tongue weight because both are problems you don't want to deal with.

mine is an 05 - put over 20K on it in less than a year with no problems so far.

Ok...enough is enough. I've "cleaned up" the messy parts and left what I feel is pertinent.

Any continuation of the crap that was going on will result in loss of site privileges for ANY parties!!!!

Back