New Issues After 3.5.1 Update | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Issues After 3.5.1 Update

Fshultz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
I took my 2013 Limited in for the 3.5.1 update two weeks ago because the system would lock up whenever I was doing a POI search using voice. The dealer did the upgrade and it seemed to be quicker right afterward but 2 days later strange things started to happen like the icons disappearing from the navigation screen (magnify, view, etc.), the home screen would freeze up again for 30-45 seconds randomly and cache the presses and then run them all immediately after the lockup stopped, and the entertainment module would constantly be indexing my ipod.

After doing a Master Reset to try to resolve it, the problems seemed to get worse so I disconnected the battery to do a reboot. Once more, things seemed OK for a day or two until the issues above came back with some new ones thrown in there:
  • Navigation zoom and view icons disappearing again
  • iPod being indexed EVERY startup of the vehicle despite remaining plugged in
  • "System Maintenance" screen pops up every 2-3 starts of the vehicle
  • Volume non-responsive for the entertainment module on both dash and steering wheel; see video:

Anyone else experiencing these issues? I'm a tech guy and love the potential of MFT so I've been pretty tolerant of the lockups/slowness but my car is only 2 months old and at times it's been pretty unusable which is wearing on me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I took my 2013 Limited in for the 3.5.1 update two weeks ago because the system would lock up whenever I was doing a POI search using voice. The dealer did the upgrade and it seemed to be quicker right afterward but 2 days later strange things started to happen like the icons disappearing from the navigation screen (magnify, view, etc.), the home screen would freeze up again for 30-45 seconds randomly and cache the presses and then run them all immediately after the lockup stopped, and the entertainment module would constantly be indexing my ipod.

After doing a Master Reset to try to resolve it, the problems seemed to get worse so I disconnected the battery to do a reboot. Once more, things seemed OK for a day or two until the issues above came back with some new ones thrown in there:
  • Navigation zoom and view icons disappearing again
  • iPod being indexed EVERY startup of the vehicle despite remaining plugged in
  • "System Maintenance" screen pops up every 2-3 starts of the vehicle
  • Volume non-responsive for the entertainment module on both dash and steering wheel; see video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktQyZ7ZVS8w

Anyone else experiencing these issues? I'm a tech guy and love the potential of MFT so I've been pretty tolerant of the lockups/slowness but my car is only 2 months old and at times it's been pretty unusable which is wearing on me.

Never disconnect the battery cable. Extremely bad for the onboard CPU. Starts everything over and may cause additional damage. Which seems to have happened in your case. Take it back to the dealer for them to fix it. That is why they supply a warranty. If you're unhappy with all the trips to the dealer. Document them and then apply for the lemon law. Trying to fix a high tech vehicle like the Explorer is like trying to re-write computer code. Not a good idea if you are not trained in that area.

Interesting you suggest NOT to disconnect the battery.

With my previous 2011 Ex MFT issues I went to the dealer several times and all they did was disconnect the negative lead on the battery for 5 minutes.

I also have been told that by techs on the SMR help line.

fshultz....I had that "No volume" issue you showed in the video. I did a Master Reset and it cleared and has been good for past few weeks.

Broken Stru: I disagree on the battery disconnect. This beast is a computer with four wheels and no different then a computer, you occasionally need to reboot it. Ford, relative to towing, did not recommend I disco the positive as that might affect certain operations during towing but other then that, they have actually recommended it for some other issues so I think you got bad advice on not wanting to disconnect the battery.

Never disconnect the battery cable. Extremely bad for the onboard CPU. Starts everything over and may cause additional damage. Which seems to have happened in your case. Take it back to the dealer for them to fix it. That is why they supply a warranty. If you're unhappy with all the trips to the dealer. Document them and then apply for the lemon law. Trying to fix a high tech vehicle like the Explorer is like trying to re-write computer code. Not a good idea if you are not trained in that area.

Well let's hope you never need to get a new battery then

I had the volume issue right after the update. However, on the way home, the system rebooted on it's own and I haven't had the issue since. This was about three weeks ago.

I am having issues with the audio being turned off and only turns on with voice control. It's not enough to drive me batty like the gosh forsaken buzzing sound that is driving me nuts.

i noticed that i kept getting the system maintenance screen when i left my usb sierra wireless 250u connected to mft... i have since disconnected it and have not seen the screen... those of you seeing that screen, have you disconnected anything that is connected to mft?

I've kept my iPhone unplugged from the MFT USB port and the system is still having strange, random issues. The System Maintenance screen still comes up every 2-3 starts of the vehicle and when traveling the other day, the whole thing locked up for 5 minutes on the navigation screen and then rebooted while driving. I've made an appointment with the dealer this week to get it looked at again. I'll let everyone know what happens after, thanks for your comments!

Is it just me or would it make a lot of sense to have a "reboot" option in MFT that would not require a fuse pull or battery cable disconnect. The Master Reset does not seem to be the same operation as the power disconnect. I would think a reboot would start the "performing maintenance" screen. I would love to do that now since my radio presets quit working properly. Master reset didn't cure it but battery cable disconect (which starts the performing maintenance sceen) has fixed it in the past. What do you all think?

Is it just me or would it make a lot of sense to have a "reboot" option in MFT that would not require a fuse pull or battery cable disconnect. The Master Reset does not seem to be the same operation as the power disconnect. I would think a reboot would start the "performing maintenance" screen. I would love to do that now since my radio presets quit working properly. Master reset didn't cure it but battery cable disconect (which starts the performing maintenance sceen) has fixed it in the past. What do you all think?

I agree

Today Im doing yet another battery disconnect because my 2013 MFT with V3.5.1 is freezing again. It had a graphic showing no phone connected but the iPhone wireless signal strength graphic was overlaying it.

I agree! Ford should have a reboot button. Sure would make things easier.

Somewhere on this forum is a link to a site where you can download a reboot app. I've been using it for about a year. I keep the flash drive and instructions in the glove box. You never know when you'll need it.

OK. Here's the link. Scroll down to "MFT acting up?" Love this app!
http://outofmytouch.com/

A quick update for everyone: the dealer replaced the APIM and so far, everything seems to be working much better. I haven't had any lockups or system maintenance screens popup which is definitely a step in the right direction.

Here's what the repair invoice said which I found interesting:

CS TEST AND FOUND INTERNAL OPEN CIRCUIT IN APIM, REPLACED UNIT

I agree! Ford should have a reboot button. Sure would make things easier.

Somewhere on this forum is a link to a site where you can download a reboot app. I've been using it for about a year. I keep the flash drive and instructions in the glove box. You never know when you'll need it.

OK. Here's the link. Scroll down to "MFT acting up?" Love this app!
http://outofmytouch.com/

Thanks for the link, finally a app for the Ex Sync system :p:

Back