• Register Today It's free!

New member - fuel pump?

Elcapper

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 4.0L
Hi! Nice to be on the forum - I've been reading posts for about a week and it's a great resource!

I've read a ton of posts about intermittent starting. I have a '98 OHV vin x. I got it in August. About 3 weeks ago it wouldn't start for a few days, then it started and ran for a few days, then it would start and die immediately, then it wouldn't start at all, then it would start and die immediately again.

I replaced the crankshaft sensor, cam sensor, cleaned the AIC sensor, replaced fuel filter, fuel pump relay, and fuel pump regulator.

I'm currently getting 0 psi at the schrader test valve and no codes are popping up on the scanner.

When I turn the key to On, I hear the fuel pump prime for approx 1.5-2 seconds.

I just wanted to throw it out there and see if it has to be a weak fuel pump or is there anything else that could cause no fuel pressure after changing the filter and regulator? I really don't want to drop the tank where the car is parked right now.

Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi and welcome. Have you tried priming the system with the fuel pump? Turn the ignition on, wait for the pump to stop then turn the ignition back to off then back on again immediately. Do this 3-4 times and then see if you can start the truck. If it starts then sputters and dies, you most likely have a fuel pump problem

Yeah, I tried priming it like that, although I was waiting a few seconds between each key turn. Even with that I was still seeing 0 pressure at the rail though.

If you hear the pump motor and you've tried priming it and still no-go, it's a good chance the pump is bad

Thanks! That's what I was thinking but wanted a second opinion. Dang.

Back