New rule: Car buyers must be told about 'black boxes' | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New rule: Car buyers must be told about 'black boxes'

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has passed a regulation requiring car makers to inform customers when their car has been equipped with an Event Data Recorder, the agency said Monday.

EDRs, similar to "black boxes" used in commercial airliners, record data about what a car is doing in the moments just before and after a crash. They do not record the voices of occupants but they do record things like speed, steering wheel movement, how hard the brakes are being pressed and the actual movement of the car itself.

About 64 percent of model year 2005 cars were equipped with EDRs, according to NHTSA. Some manufacturer's already include information about the EDR in the owners manual, but not all, said Rae Tyson, a spokesman for NHTSA.

"If you have a new vehicle, chances are it's got one," he said.

Data from the recorders is used by law enforcement and attorneys to recreate events directly leading up to an accident. Data is also used by car companies to research how cars and drivers perform in actual crashes.

Some privacy advocates have expressed concern that the data, which can be used as evidence in court cases, is being collected without the knowledge of vehicle owners and drivers.

The devices are virtually impossible to disable because their functioning is so tightly integrated with vehicle safety systems such as airbags and anti-lock brakes.

Several states have already passed laws that restrict how the data can be used.

Car companies must comply with the new regulation beginning in the 2011 model year. Information about the EDR, if one is installed, will have to be included in the vehicle's owner's manual.

The new rule also requires EDRs to collect a uniform set of data. Having access to uniform data will help investigators to recreate crashes and determine causes, the agency said.

More-uniform data will also make it easier to develop systems so that, in cars equipped with automatic 911 emergency notification, data about the crash can also be passed along to paramedics and ambulance crews.

The data can also be used to research better road designs and ways to better protect young and old drivers, said Robert Sinclair, a spokesman for the New York chapter of AAA.

AAA had previously expressed concern to NHTSA about privacy issues that might hamper public acceptance of the systems. Those concerns seem to be addressed by the new rule, Sinclair said.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jtsmith said:
Soooooo
How long before we pull up to a safety checkpoint for our data do be downloaded, possible ticket?

Dam thats a scary thought!!!!!

Added info

The battle against this first cropped up in Electronic Engineering Times in the late 70's. Cadillac had come out with some ****amamie system that shut down four cylinders during driving. EET broke the story that the onboard computer also recorded how many times that the speed limit of 55 was exceeded. It was speculated that Cadillac used this information to void warranty claims due to abuse.

And then there was a SD congressman last year who blew through a stop sign in 2003 and killed a motorcyclist. Data downloaded from his car computer was used to make the case that he didn't slow down.

i think it is a great idea to help during car crash incidents. however they should not be able to read it unless the car has been in a crash

shamaal said:
And then there was a SD congressman last year who blew through a stop sign in 2003 and killed a motorcyclist. Data downloaded from his car computer was used to make the case that he didn't slow down.
Ummm... yeah. He wasn't a congressman he was our Governor. He's now sitting in jail for DUI and vehicular manslaughter charges.

This guy, Janklow, was A former governor but was a congressman at the time of the accident.

'In the past he has acknowledged speeding, noting that he continued to speed because the cost of violating the law was so low.
"But if someone told me I was going to jail for two days for speeding, my driving habits would change," then-Gov. Janklow said in a State of the State speech in 1999. "I can pay the ticket, but I don't want to go to jail."

http://www.ama-cycle.org/news/2003/janklow.asp

Yep that was my governor, good ole Bill Janklow. Guess I forgot that he got elected to congress. Not to my choice, I didn't like him as our governor.

I see it in the near future, that driving your own car will be done away with. It will be considered to dangerous. With modern GPS and Maping systems and other new tecnology, driving will become a thing of the past. Toyota has a new system that can park you car for you, and Volvo's new S80 has a cruise control that bases your speed on the car in front of you. To most of this this sounds like the worst thing ever, but to many people it is a blessing. Heck my wife would love it if she just told the car where to go...me? Over my dead body! :mad:

Welcome to the future kids ;)

2011? That's a very long time away. 64 percent! So I take it anything with onstar has a blackbox?

My dad's 2006 f-150 has one, and it's just the base model. Dealer told him when he bought it.

I wonder how you look into finding out if you have one or not.

I wonder if it's covered in the factory service manual? www.helminc.com sells them.

Stic-o said:
I see it in the near future, that driving your own car will be done away with. It will be considered to dangerous.

Yup I've always said that it will eventually be illegal to drive your own car.

Soon, cars won't have wheels...the'll be called landing gear!

The street corners have replaced cops with cameras for mailing red light tickets. Now they have another means of issuing speeding tickets from these boxes. Everything we do is being monitored. This was predicted in 1948. They thought that it would come about in 1984. Big brother is watching us!

The street corners have replaced cops with cameras for mailing red light tickets. Now they have another means of issuing speeding tickets from these boxes. Everything we do is being monitored. This was predicted in 1948. They thought that it would come about in 1984. Big brother is watching us!
Not on my 2011 ford Ranger, I disable my black box.😉

Soooooo
How long before we pull up to a safety checkpoint for our data do be downloaded, possible ticket?
They want get any data from my black box, I disable mine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your responding to a 15 year old thread. You say you disabled the box, so how did you do that?

Edit: looking at your profile, it looks like you signed up, then posted on every black box thread that you disabled yours, but never said how or even why.

Back