New to the '01 Explorer engine sounds | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to the '01 Explorer engine sounds

JBoyd77

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
I have a 2001 explorer sport that has 143,000 miles and had only 2 owners before me. The previous owner didn't take very good care of the vehicle and so ive had my work cut out for me from shocks, brakes, plugs and wires, new tires and wheel bearings and so on but overall the vehicle is in good shape and the only thing i know that was done regularly was oil changes. However, i have no idea how the first owner treated the vehicle so this is where i find my problem ive got the rattle from the engine at cold startup and after reading about the timing chain guide and tensioner issue with this 4.0 SOHC engine im wondering if i have this problem and it was never addressed by the original owner or if this is something different. I only notice the sound when the vehicle has been parked awhile generally overnight and i don't seem to have any sounds when the engine is warmed. Could this be an early sign of the guide or tensioner failure or something else and what should be the course of action? I plan on keeping the vehicle for awhile so if it needs to be done then i'll do it.

welcome

Engine noise

Yes that was one of the first things I checked because its so brief at startup I thought it might have been valve clatter from low oil but I checked it and it was fine then I changed it shortly after. I'm using mobile 1 5w-30 and a fram toughguard filter.

Back