Newb Needing some help concerning ECM | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newb Needing some help concerning ECM

Crykey

Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Alrighty...

I have a 97 XLT select-trac, I have ALL service records from 99'...im the second owner and it has been serviced by professionals since 99.

Never had a single problem until i decided to put on some 31" tires...shortly after my hubs had to be replaced...less than 2k miles.......shortly after that the 4x4 high and low lights would do the 6 flashes and it would bind and the tires would snarl at the asphalt...popped at ever turn I would make, reminded me of my 89 XJ.

I have done everything to my knowledge... cleaned the xfc motor, cleaned all terminals relating to it also...

Only thing that will make it stop binding is by disconnecting the ecm (I plan on doing the brown wire switch mod when I get a chance)

I have driven 40 or so miles with it disconnected, everything works fine...

No problems what-so-ever. (that i know at least)

My concern is that i am moving to texas in one month and cannot afford to have the ECM flashed to accomadate the tires...(are the tires corralation to the xfc binding and being off?)

What problems if any will i run into by driving with this disconnected, if any...

I have to drive 1000 miles with my 5 year old daughter.

What kinda things should i look out for? Would it be alright to do and just go without the 4 wheel drive for a while till I get there and get it fixed...

ANY opinions help, im sure most of you are pros at this...

I have a great understanding of vehicals and have worked on them for may years, it just seems that the explorers have there own little quirks that only seasoned vets like yourselves seem to know about :p:

:salute:

Back