Newbie here, work in progress w/ pics | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie here, work in progress w/ pics

Jaysin2719

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 2wd V6
So here are a few pics of my 2004 X. Nothing special 2wd (boo) 4.0V6. So far just some minor cosmetic stuff done, painted grill, painted wheels and removed all of the explorer emblems. I have some Hella 500s sitting here staring at me, just trying to get some time with my brother in law to fabricate a brace to mount them behind the grill. Big plans, small wallet for now. Any other suggestions for "cost-effective" mods? Yes, I know I left my plates in there so please don't stalk me :) Also, there is some residue where the emblems came off, these were taken pre-wash.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can do an airbox mod, blackout taillights and get some corner lights on ebay to get rid of the horrible amber corners

I plan on getting the smoked corners first of the month when I get paid. As far as the airbox mod is concerned, how much does it really benefit? I mean the cosmetic stuff has no benefit other than aesthetic but I really don't want to start messing with my airbox if it does nothing.

I keep reading about the air box mod, but haven't looked deep enough in here to find out what it is. Anyone got a link?

I wasn't too far from where you live on July 29th! I did RAGBRAI(3rd time) and I have family that live in Waterloo. Ride is looking good and keep it up!

Man Ragbrai is one of the biggest parties I have ever been to. Yeah, we aren't far from Waterloo at all. Sadly it seems that I may be the only one from the Cedar Valley here on the boards. I would love to meet some other X heads that could provide some guidance and opinions.

Man Ragbrai is one of the biggest parties I have ever been to. Yeah, we aren't far from Waterloo at all. Sadly it seems that I may be the only one from the Cedar Valley here on the boards. I would love to meet some other X heads that could provide some guidance and opinions.

When you have 10,000+ bike riders, yeah it's a bit crazy!!!

You may be alone in Cedar Valley, but you've got a lot of X heads on here for guidance and opinions;)

Jaysin,

Heres my thoughts of what you can do for cheap...

Paint your bumpers - 50$ or less

K&N Air Filter + Airbox Mod - roughly 50$

Black Headlight Housing/Corners - 130$ ( EBAY )

H.I.D. Lights - roughly 60$

Front Window Tint (20%) - 50$ to 100$ pending

* Good PM - ensures a good running X...

Just a few thoughts for ya fella, hope these help...

Yeah, bumpers are probably first on my list. Just debating whether or not I will remove them completely to paint or just tape them off. I will probably line up that airbox mod sometime this next weekend or so when I am installing the new lights. I also was gonna pickup some VHT Nightshades to give the tails more of a smoked look before I drop the $$ on new tails.

I wouldnt worry about removing the bumpers, just make sure you cover, and tape everything off, and you should be just fine...

If you looking into new tail lights, i wouldnt even worry about putting out the money for VHT. just put that money towards new tails...

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the nightshades. once I get some more cash I will most likely pickup some new tails and when I have the old ones pulled out, I may venture into painting the bumpers then. Perhaps I can get lucky and pickup the black housings for my headlights at the same time.

You need these for your tails :)
IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1379.jpg

I am pretty sure those were the ones I was looking at. Really want to go out and hit my bumpers today with some paint as it is beautiful out today, but I should probably put the truck in a garage to paint as to not have wind interference.

Back