Newer Explorer Model Suggestions

ronin2501

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT 2WD and 96 EB AWD
Hi all,

I have a 1995 Ford Explorer 2WD V6. I'm almost positive it has a leaking headgasket or lower intake manifold gasket on it. The engine has 245,000 miles on it and has been completely reliable. The body is starting to rust out pretty bad now so I think I'm in the market for a newer model Expy.

I'm posting to get suggestions from you all as to what year model I should get and any other helpful suggestions. In particular I want the V8 302, and 4WD. I like the shorter wheel base 2dr sport models...but I'm not dead set on having one that's 2 door.

My plans are to put a slight body lift on it, dual exhaust, and an off-road wheel and tire package. It will be used for frequent off roading, mud, country dirt road usage, frequent winter/snow/ice driving, and occasional towing of a flat bed trailer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well if you want a 302, you're stuck with a 4 door (not that it's a bad thing)

The '99-01 model years are almost identical, year over year. They pretty much got all the bugs out of the 2nd gen by '99. I've been VERY happy with my '99 EB.

Keep looking for a lower milage V8 I just bought one in Mount Vernon for $2600 with 136k on it with AWD. Gotta go look at random places around Ohio to find em. I had been looking for months for a low milage V8. I'd say look around in Mount Vernon the first place I went to had the one I just bought last week. If I see on in Columbus I'll PM you.

Keep looking for a lower milage V8 I just bought one in Mount Vernon for $2600 with 136k on it with AWD. Gotta go look at random places around Ohio to find em. I had been looking for months for a low milage V8. I'd say look around in Mount Vernon the first place I went to had the one I just bought last week. If I see on in Columbus I'll PM you.

I've searched craigslist and autotrader, can't think of any other sites to check. The particular one I posted the link to.....if I decide to go look at it, I will probably see if I can talk him down in price. It's got some body damage on the right rear taillight area and the ABS light is on. I would appreciate it if you could PM me if you find out about it. I'll check around Mt. Vernon though.

Thanks,
Ty

Looked at 4 explorers today...people are so deceptive. Specifically asked if they where V8 4x4 with no rust and all they have when I get there is rusted out V6's.....Having no luck finding V8's in good condition.

Its a damn shame a conversion is that much work....the body on my expy looks like new......

Keep looking Ty,

They'll come up for sale. You should be able to get a 99-01 V8 with about 125-150k with no body damage for about $3k. Gas is going up. :)

Keep looking Ty,

They'll come up for sale. You should be able to get a 99-01 V8 with about 125-150k with no body damage for about $3k. Gas is going up. :)

Thanks Joe...I may have just found The One.....we'll see if they come down on their price.

Sweet! Bought my AWD Expy Saturday. Got a stellar deal!

Any pics? What did you end up with?

It's a 96 EB 5.0L AWD. It's Black with the tan trim. And I like black and tans so it's all good. :)

I wish it would of had the gray leather interior rather than the brown, but it goes well with the vehicle.

The one pictured is identical to what I got. Once I get my wheel and tire package and lift installed I'll post before and after pics.

full-1996-Ford-Explorer_23668_1.jpg

Very nice looking Explorer!! I love the black on tan color combo.

I've read through a majority of the posts in the exhaust thread, I'm still trying to decide what exhaust to get. Thinking of trying a Flowmaster 50 Dual 2.5 inlet with a single 3" outlet with a dump directly off of the muffler. I'll most likely just buy the muffler and have an exhaust shop do custom pipe work.

Thoughts?

I'm about to get an exhaust for mine as well I was looking at MAC Performance and at flowmaster for a cat back

Probably going to go with the flowmaster one:
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/s...ID=&vehicle=2000 FORD EXPLORER V8&orig=17364

You'd have a similar system as that just a different muffler connection. If you go with a bigger pipe you will lose some of your torque or so I've been told.

Awesome find also :thumbsup: How many miles on her? If you ever need help with anything let me know I live in Worthington just outside of Columbus about an hour away and I like working on Explorers lol.

I'm about to get an exhaust for mine as well I was looking at MAC Performance and at flowmaster for a cat back

Probably going to go with the flowmaster one:
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/s...ID=&vehicle=2000 FORD EXPLORER V8&orig=17364

You'd have a similar system as that just a different muffler connection. If you go with a bigger pipe you will lose some of your torque or so I've been told.

Awesome find also :thumbsup: How many miles on her? If you ever need help with anything let me know I live in Worthington just outside of Columbus about an hour away and I like working on Explorers lol.

Thanks! Got her with 160ish on her. Can't remember off the top of my head. I might take you up on that offer soon for the body and suspension lift. I'll check out the exhaust link you sent when I get home, doesn't work here at the office for some reason.

Back