No fuel | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No fuel

Never mind the fuse 4 question that's just a schematic reference designator. It is the relay in the PDB marked as Fuel Pump that keeps blowing, correct?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brian, I got your email, I don't know that i really have more to contribute than what the other's have been saying.

In post #12, he said it was the EEC fuse that was blowing. For now, I will assume that is still correct.

EEC fuse can be a tricky one to track down. Interestingly, just the other day, I was browing through the Haynes manual for my Suburban, and found a brief description in the Chassis Electrical section describing use of a self-powered test light (aka continuity tester). Never used one, but I thought that it seems like the perfect tool for tracking down a short like this. Basically, if the current from the test light can find a way to ground, the light comes on, if it can't the light stays off. Unplug everything the EEC-IV relay feeds power to (Shamaal's wiring diagram seems adequate, but I didn't look real close at it). Plug a continuity tester into the red wire at the EEC relay connector and see if the light comes on. If the light comes on, then the short is somewhere in the harness still connected to the relay connector. If the light stays off, then start plugging connectors in until the light comes on.

It seems like BrooklynBay has mentioned use of a continuity tester in other applications, he may have a better grasp of how to use one to find a short like this.

Good luck.

I got fuel

I will start by saying you guys are awsome and shamaal is brilliant.
I hadn't pulled the connector to the purge solenoid, as I had no clue what it was until it was described as the canister thingy with the hose and connector. I pulled the connector installed yet another fuse and lo and behold I didn't blow another two dollar raffle. I then pulled the harness connecting the A/C compressor, purge solenoid, A/C evaporator to check and the center section was as hard as a ss brake line.
I've located a replacement but haven't picked it up yet.
I hope this thread is helpful to others facing similar issues, and will send directly to the guy that hard wired his fuel pump.
Again, many thanks to all for your incredible help and support...and I even got a bit moer comfortable diagnosing electrical systems along the way.

Brian

Why is it always the last thing you check? You should have tried that first! :D

Glad to see it fixed.

Back