No Power, bogging 2000 EX Limited V8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Power, bogging 2000 EX Limited V8

2000vtlimited

Reaction score
City, State
Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Limited
So here is my problem, When Im driving normal, and give it gas easily it will pick up and get going nicely. Now when I stomp on it, it bogs/hesitates until a certain point where it finally feels like it lets go, but still not a lot of power. I am getting a po171/174 code. I got a 2000 Limited EX with the v8. There are certain points that it sounds almost like popcorn popping. I hope you can here it in the video. My EX only has 103 k on it, only modification done to it is a k&N cone filter. But did the same thing before I installed that. Sorry about the language slip in the vid

let me know any thoughts

thanks

Josh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Basic things to do,
Clean the maf sensor
re install stock air box with new filter ( not a fan of K&N as they do just this to a engine)

Check for vacuum leaks, there are several areas to look over, especially the PCV grommet, the lines under the upper plennum, brake booster and also the reservoir for heater controls

Change the fuel filter
Check the fuel pressure

Until you get this sorted out, you might not want to make the engine ping out like that. It can cause very severe damage.

You may have to reset the PCM by disconnecting tha battery to clear the check engine light. If the code comes back, you know you need to take further action, so, you could try things one at a time to see for yourself what is causing it.

The codes come up as a daily occurrence I just erase them with my scan tool, as far as me cranking on it like that I only did it to show what it does for ideas on solutions. I did clean the MAF, recently sea foamed threw pcv all connections were secure,and fuel filter, spark-plugs also changed. What is this reservoir for heater controls? Should I try and clean the IACV? IM thinking intake gaskets because of the codes coming up so frequent. Could the rear cats be clogged? I'm just grasping at straws.

Thanks

Josh

Fuel pump or cats clogged? Ck fuel pressure first, ford has tsb for updated fuel pump.
Printable View (4 KB)
TSB
00-20-1 HESITATION ON ACCELERATION OR TURNING - LACK OF FUEL PRESSURE - EXPLORER/MOUNTAINEER VEHICLES BUILT THROUGH 8/15/2000 AND EXPEDITION/NAVIGATOR VEHICLES BUILT THROUGH 6/30/2000

Publication Date: SEPTEMBER 21, 2000

FORD: 1997-2000 EXPEDITION
1997-2001 EXPLORER
LINCOLN: 1998-2000 NAVIGATOR
MERCURY: 1997-2001 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE:
A hesitation on acceleration or while turning may be felt on some vehicles. This may be caused by fuel pump cavitation due to fuel sloshing away from the filter sock in the fuel tank reservoir.

ACTION:
To service, check fuel pressure. Check all fuel pump related electrical circuits. If a fuel pressure concern is verified, refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Attempt to verify if fuel pressure drops during the event.
If a fuel pressure drop is verified, check all fuel pump related electrical wiring, connections and related systems.
If all checks OK, replace the fuel pump/sender assembly with a revised fuel pump/sender assembly. Refer to the parts listing for application.
Refer to the appropriate model year Workshop Manual, Section 310-01, for removal and installation instructions.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
F7PZ-9H307-BD Fuel Pump - 1997-1998 Explorer/Mountaineer (All)
XL2Z-9H307-AJ Fuel Pump - 1999-2001 Explorer/Mountaineer (All)
XL1Z-9H307-AB Fuel Pump - 1997-2000 Expedition (4X4)
XL1Z-9H307-BB Fuel Pump - 1997-2000 Expedition (4X2 With Base Suspension)
XL1Z-9H307-CB Fuel Pump - 1997-2000 Expedition (4X2 With Air Suspension)
XL1Z-9H307-DB Fuel Pump - 1998-2000 Navigator (4X4)
XL1Z-9H307-FB Fuel Pump - 1998-2000 Navigator (4X2)

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
Information Only

OASIS CODES:
404000, 609000, 609500, 610000, 610500, 611000, 611500, 614000, 614500

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2000 Ford Motor Company

Probable Fix

Sounds to me, like you have a clogged injector. Does it run rough at all? I would def check your injectors. Mine did that kinda.

I had a bogging problem on take off with the same lean condition codes. took me forever to figure it out. Turned out to be the vacuum watchamacallit, can't remember what it's called right now, underneath the battery tray. I heard it leaking one day messing with something else under there. Put a used one on it and no more bogging and no more codes.

it also acts like it wants to stall when I try to start it up, sometimes it will fire right up others it will take a good 5-6 revolutions to start, then it will sit there and move the whole rig like its starving for something.

Mine did not do that extra stuff.

So ford dosnt pay for this? they just make you pay for there updated "BETTER" pump to solve the issue.

Fuel pump or cats clogged? Ck fuel pressure first, ford has tsb for updated fuel pump.
Printable View (4 KB)
TSB
00-20-1 HESITATION ON ACCELERATION OR TURNING - LACK OF FUEL PRESSURE - EXPLORER/MOUNTAINEER VEHICLES BUILT THROUGH 8/15/2000 AND EXPEDITION/NAVIGATOR VEHICLES BUILT THROUGH 6/30/2000

Publication Date: SEPTEMBER 21, 2000

FORD: 1997-2000 EXPEDITION
1997-2001 EXPLORER
LINCOLN: 1998-2000 NAVIGATOR
MERCURY: 1997-2001 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE:
A hesitation on acceleration or while turning may be felt on some vehicles. This may be caused by fuel pump cavitation due to fuel sloshing away from the filter sock in the fuel tank reservoir.

ACTION:
To service, check fuel pressure. Check all fuel pump related electrical circuits. If a fuel pressure concern is verified, refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Attempt to verify if fuel pressure drops during the event.
If a fuel pressure drop is verified, check all fuel pump related electrical wiring, connections and related systems.
If all checks OK, replace the fuel pump/sender assembly with a revised fuel pump/sender assembly. Refer to the parts listing for application.
Refer to the appropriate model year Workshop Manual, Section 310-01, for removal and installation instructions.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
F7PZ-9H307-BD Fuel Pump - 1997-1998 Explorer/Mountaineer (All)
XL2Z-9H307-AJ Fuel Pump - 1999-2001 Explorer/Mountaineer (All)
XL1Z-9H307-AB Fuel Pump - 1997-2000 Expedition (4X4)
XL1Z-9H307-BB Fuel Pump - 1997-2000 Expedition (4X2 With Base Suspension)
XL1Z-9H307-CB Fuel Pump - 1997-2000 Expedition (4X2 With Air Suspension)
XL1Z-9H307-DB Fuel Pump - 1998-2000 Navigator (4X4)
XL1Z-9H307-FB Fuel Pump - 1998-2000 Navigator (4X2)

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
Information Only

OASIS CODES:
404000, 609000, 609500, 610000, 610500, 611000, 611500, 614000, 614500

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2000 Ford Motor Company

Nope just info for technicians to use, helps keep us from wasting lots of time for a known problem.

Ok I'm gonna get a gauge and see what my pressure is, I'm hoping its low so I know at least what the problem is

thanks for the help I will post updates as they come

Ok, got a fuel pressure tester today. Relived the pressure at the schader valve. First time key on waited for pump to kick on, heard a whine and no psi on the gauge. Turned it over cranked and cranked wold not fire slowly crept up to 20 psi. Tried starting again this time fired and crept up to about 36 psi. Taking it up to 3000 rpms it dropped slowly to about 34. But than when I goosed it that when it really dropped it to like 30 psi. That's where the video ends but I let it hold pressure and within 2-3 minutes it went form 36 psi to 0

Here's the vid let me know your thoughts, Im guessing fuel pump for sure. Also another this I noticed is every time I put gas in the rig the CEL come on for the 171/174, dunno if its tied to this but thought id mention it.

thanks

Josh

those codes indicate that 2 things could be happening .
1- intake gaskets and orings are leaking .
2- you have a vacuum leak

now the vacuum leak is usually an emissions elbow that gets soft and breaks in the corner .since you are hearing something under the hood i suspect you have the leaking emissions elbow .

its located near the rear of the upper intake ,you need a small arm to reach in there under the upper intake to find it .

refer to post number 16 in this link i will post .

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309255&highlight=vacuum+elbow

good luck.

those codes indicate that 2 things could be happening .
1- intake gaskets and orings are leaking .
2- you have a vacuum leak

now the vacuum leak is usually an emissions elbow that gets soft and breaks in the corner .since you are hearing something under the hood i suspect you have the leaking emissions elbow .

its located near the rear of the upper intake ,you need a small arm to reach in there under the upper intake to find it .

refer to post number 16 in this link i will post .

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309255&highlight=vacuum+elbow

good luck.

Does this apply to the V8 as well, because the link talks about the V6?

yes .the v-8 is actually more prone to this issue .my neighbor had this issue for awhile .i told him about the elbow early on and he let it go for a long time .when he finally got tired of it he went to my mechanic with the info i gave him and they found the leak right away .

i tried finding the v-8 pictures for you but wasnt getting anywhere .

theres a vacuum elbow that runs under the rear of the intake that gets soft and starts leaking on the v-8`s .it looks just like that long elbow in that post but the location may be slightly different .
its a dealer part .

Fuel pressure spec is 55-65 psi so you definitely have fuel issue.

The regulator is part of the pump so I would say it definitely needs a fuel pump to start.

The regulator is part of the pump so I would say it definitely needs a fuel pump to start.

what else do you think it might need?

there are no lines leaking I checked that out as far as gas, Vacumn lines im looking for as I go but its hard to here when the clutch fan is blowing right on ya.

I will order up a pump, any brand you recommend ?

thanks again

Josh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

new pump in all is fixed, redid pressure test and is 65/66ish

no more bogging

thanks for all the help guys

Back