• Register Today It's free!

No power to distribution box

10secondcobra

Reaction score
City, State
CALGARY
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer Eddie Baur
Finally back on this project, and hoping for some help again. 97 5.0, no power at distribution box. Battery is good, I can bypass solenoid (think that’s what it is) and get motor to turn over. Meter check between positive battery and body is good. Checked the ground strap on the distribution box and battery and it’s good. But no power at any of the fuses in the dist box itself. Checked between alternator and battery, and seems ok. Where does the dist box get positive power from? 2 positive cables from battery, one goes to solenoid, one goes to starter. Any help is appreciated as it can’t seem to get my head wrapped around this

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The main power cable is attached to the fuse box via a bolt on main fuse. See it?

The main power cable is attached to the fuse box via a bolt on main fuse. See it?
I don’t see any power cable being bolted to the distribution box under the hood, only what I thought was the ground cable bolted to the box, end closest to the firewall

I don’t see any power cable being bolted to the distribution box under the hood, only what I thought was the ground cable bolted to the box, end closest to the firewall
Actually don’t see a main fuse either. What does that look like?

It's on the side of the main fuse box under hood. Big 175a with nuts attaching it. Doesn't look like any other fuse.

Also, check the power diode on the same box

Thanks Turdle for this, starting to get me pointed in the right direction. Unfortunately I had help in dissembling this and seems like I’m missing this piece entirely 🙄 do you have any pics by chance? I don’t see anywhere that this would connect, or where the cable would plug in to the box, or for that matter where the power cable would come from.

Current pics, excuse the mess while I try to sort this out
IMG_2028.jpeg
IMG_2029.jpeg
IMG_2030.jpeg
IMG_2027.jpeg

Left side of box has cover

IMG_20240129_181636806_HDR.jpg

Squeeze tabs and drop it to left, there is your fuse

IMG_20240129_181631364_HDR.jpg

Power diode in my truck is the black fuse to left of lone relay

IMG_20240129_181707903_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg

I’m no Ford engineer, but that does not look stock to me…

Except for the silver thing with red cables on it, it’s stock believe it or not. 1 owner vehicle with all the records so I know it wasn’t messed with. That other piece I believe was added for the trailer brake and remote start

Except for the silver thing with red cables on it, it’s stock believe it or not. 1 owner vehicle with all the records so I know it wasn’t messed with. That other piece I believe was added for the trailer brake and remote start
On your truck, where does the power wire go after the big mega fuse? How does it get into the box? Maybe I can piece this together

Ah okay. That’s what I was referring to—the solenoid. That certainly looked out of place on these trucks, especially with the ****ty crimp connectors

Well, I finally got this figured out and it started! The black cable at the back of the distribution box that I thought was a ground cable, was actually the power cable (in my photo) . Doesn’t seem to have a mega fuse on it either, but looks stock so not sure.

not all PJB boxes have the mega 175amp fuse.... I think it was only 95-97 v6?
The 5.0 trucks do not use it

EDIT (WRONG YES THEY DO! SEE BELOW)
yes that black cable is the power in

all pjb are powered through the two 13mm nuts on that metal bus bar...the battery connects directly to there via one or two cables

large black cables and black/white stripe are often power not ground

not all PJB boxes have the mega 175amp fuse.... I think it was only 95-97 v6?
The 5.0 trucks do not use it
yes that black cable is the power in

all pjb are powered through the two 13mm nuts on that metal bus bar...the battery connects directly to there via one or two cables

large black cables and black/white stripe are often power not ground
Pic above mega fuse is on my 2000 V8

hahahaha of course it is!!

okay so maybe its the v6 does not use........im confused (no kidding!)
I've only had one blow in all these years.... it had the boys stumped for quite a bit
I found it with my multimeter in minutes
that was the first time I had changed the mega fuse it was here in Idaho

So if your PJB has the connections on the side it will have the fuse
if they are on the ends no mega fuse
you are gonna have me outside checking all these trucks hahaha

Pretty sure my 98 SOHC has the mega fuse too, ill check and report back

Edit: yep, mega fuse present

hahahaha of course it is!!

okay so maybe its the v6 does not use........im confused (no kidding!)
I've only had one blow in all these years.... it had the boys stumped for quite a bit
I found it with my multimeter in minutes
that was the first time I had changed the mega fuse it was here in Idaho

So if your PJB has the connections on the side it will have the fuse
if they are on the ends no mega fuse
you are gonna have me outside checking all these trucks hahaha
Fords better idea all along was to change anything they could year to year. With as busy as you are I know it has caused you some frustrations.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It’s ok! I’m used to it I mean… that is what conversion means

The problem is trying to remember everything when on the forum. If they were all alike I could have built a simple 5.0 swap into your rbv harness but every conversion is different in one way or another

The easiest 5.0 swap is right into the 98-02 ranger or sport or sport trac

It gets more complex from there! I have completed the swaps on 83-07 trucks now and I’m pretty sure I can get a 5.0 explorer drivetrain to run in anything lol

The truck with the bad mega fuse is a 96 explorer we bought for my stepson James back before I was married (17 years ago?) it was a 4.0 auto 4wd needed heads we swapped in a good 4.0 and he drove it that way for years. Later he and his brother converted it to v8 and they could not get it to run. It almost caught fire when 02 sensor wire melted at first start then they swapped the harness with junk yard harness and still would not start… Ali g comes me and points out they missed the bolt on the old 96 5.0 battery harness that grounds the battery to the frame… then a few minutes later I found a blown mega fuse… it still runs great today! I don’t know if they kept the v6 power dist box or swapped it all over to v8 stuff … it’s easy to get confused ;)

Back