• Register Today It's free!

no trailer rental from u-haul

MaxGig

Reaction score
City, State
Leavenworth, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Sport Trac limited
I went to u-haul to rent a car hauler to tow my car to another state. I was told I couldn't rent one because I drive a Sport Trac. Anyone else here experience that? I went thru the list of vehicles I used to own such as my 2010 Murano and 2000 Ford Ranger they said sure. Why can't the Trac be used to pull a trailer? I'm totally confused as I've seen Sport Tracs towing campers and rear ends of old pickups. I don't have the space to store a trailer if I wanted to buy one. Anyone have any other ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very common, its uhaul . . .because of the lawsuits they don't rent to anything with 'Explorer' in the name. If you told them you had a Mounty Sport Trac it would be fine. . .people have gotten around it. Search the 3rd gen or towing section for the big post.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96237

I figured that some sort of lawsuit was the reason. I got rid of my loaded Murano for the Sport Trac because it fit my needs better, had a bed and also had the tow package. Now I'm stuck because I can't use it for the main reason I bought it, to tow my car on a trailer.

Use your ranger to pick up the trailer, then tow with the sport trac. However there's insurance problems with doing so....
Or rent from someone else

Try Ryder, Penske, or tell U-Haul it's an F-150. Most of them aren't smart enough to know the difference.
Because of the Firestone tire and rollover issues from 15 years ago, U-Haul simply won't rent to you if your truck says Explorer anywhere on it. Nevermind that the ONLY problems came ONLY on Explorers ONLY equipped with Firestone tires in ONLY one specific size that were ONLY made at one specific factory.
I had a Ranger at the time with the same tires and got new ones for free.

U-Haul are a bunch of tools.:D

I have a V8 4x4 '07 Trac that came with the factory towing package. I added an electric brake controller (which was a bolt in operation - there was even a wire in the right place) and tow an 18 foot enclosed Covered Wagon brand tandem axle trailer. The longest tow so far has been about 160 miles with my '99 Mustang Cobra in the trailer. About half of the trip was on I-80 in western PA. Lots of hills. I was passing semis on most of those hills. It tows pretty well even at highway speeds although the fuel mileage is pitiful pulling that much weight. Car and trailer is about 6500 lbs. Definitely pushing the limits.

U-Haul is incompetent when it comes to appropriate tow vehicles. If you tell them it's an F-150, they probably wont know the difference, even if they see your truck. You could probably pull in there with an electric SmartCar and get a bigger trailer than with a Sport Trac.

Just went through that with them... they wont rent me a tiny 4x8 trailer because I have an explorer

You can buy 4 x 8 trailers cheap thou, not hardly worth renting.

Back