Travisfab

GoFastExplorers
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SD, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Another
I have a 93 parts truck that I am using as a donor for the new motor in my 94. My 94 has egr, and I’d like to get rid of it.

How do I bypass the dpfe in the 94? What else do I need to swap over from the 93 to make this happen?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you use the 93 computer you can simply remove the egr system completely

The 94 computer wants to see it so it would require a tune to delete it

Other difference between 93 and 94 is 94 had a cam synchronizer the 93 did not except in ca

Swap the system as a whole. You will have many fewer issues that way.

Swap the system as a whole. You will have many fewer issues that way.
Looking like that is the way to go. Damn egr system has given me nothing but issues, & now it will continue to do so, but on a new motor!

Looking like that is the way to go. Damn egr system has given me nothing but issues, & now it will continue to do so, but on a new motor!
That's funny, but not really. A lot of people complain about EGR issues with these. I have three 94s. One of which has a cracked EGR valve. Its been that way for at least a year. It has yet to throw a CEL and it runs great! I've got a new valve, i just haven't put it on yet. I've only had to replace one DPFE between any of them.

I'm definitely not minimizing your problem, but i find it somewhat ironic I guess. A friend of mine was a mechanic in the mid 90s. He said Ford EGRs were the worst for comebacks.

Egr system when it works is a good thing!
The old Aluminum dpfe sensors used to get plugged up then the later plastic ones would just fail

My only issues with the egr system is the placement on the 4.0, having the egr tube run right along in front of the drivers side spark plugs is a huge pita! And the big awkward metal hose into plastic intake with big square cut o ring…. Those are the problem areas

So given a choice the less plumbing under the hood the better with me!

Back