Notchy Turn Signal Lever FIX | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Notchy Turn Signal Lever FIX

I believe this is the first indication of this issue with a 2014 model. It seemed to be a common problem with the 2013s and several owners were successful in getting it repaired under warranty. Your description of the problem, however, differs a bit from the original one. That complaint was about it being very difficult to push the lever up and down. I don't think there were any issues with it not cancelling. In any case, good luck with the DIY fix.:thumbsup:

Peter

I was able to get a new one through a friend at Ford at no cost. I installed it myself. I went to the liberty of performing surgery on the old unit. Although it is hard to judge how smooth the old unit operates when holding it in my hands and maneuvering the lever, I would say my repair seems much better than when it first came out of the steering column. I am going to keep it as a spare that will probably never be used again or I am willing to sell it to someone if they dont want to perform the fix themselves but are willing to spend 10-15 minutes uninstalling and installing the unit I have.

Buzz

PS It sucks it took a friend to fix a known issue with the turn signal and not FORD directly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just did the "update" myself, it's nice and smooth now, will have to learn to use the turn signals again! :D I just used small dremmel/engraver to smooth-en out the second notches, did not touch the tip where the spring goes. Thanks OP for excellent guide ;)

FYI. I took it to my local ford dealership (crossroad ford) and had absolutely no problem for them to replace the turn signal. What a huge difference !!

Not an issue for 2016 XLT

When I test drove a 2015 Explorer I noticed the notchy turn signal thing right away. Now that I have a week in my 2016 Explorer XLT under my belt I can report that they must have redesigned this for 2016. No issue anymore.

When I bought my used 2013 Explorer, I found the turn signal lever annoying, but I am used to Hondas, so I figured I would get used to it. After a few weeks I looked up the problem and found this discussion. It was very helpful to know I wasn't crazy or imagining things. I ended buying a new switch for $23 on eBay from a Ford dealership. OEM part works great now. These bad ones should have never left the factory or they should have released a TSB so people don't have to argue with some service guy. There is still no service bulletin for this problem! At least the part is cheap now.

Now on to other things to perfect the vehicle. Somebody spilled something on the center radio and HVAC control area that won't come off, so I'll either be covering it with a interior kit or buying new trim pieces. The trim piece is not that expensive, but the lid for the lower storage area (where the aux input and USB port is located cannot be bought separately and that whole assembly is $500! I've considered painting the pieces with some duplicolor or going to pull-a-part.

Thank you very much for the post and know that it is still helping those who are just getting acquainted with the vehicle!

Welcome to the Forum johnboy76122. :wave:

Peter

Back