• Register Today It's free!

O/D light flashing

kleinmd76

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 ST premium
I have a 96 XLT 4.0 4x4, approx 141K. No recent mods either. I was driving today about to jump on freeway and it wouldn't shift out of first. A few seconds later, it shifts, I doing about 50 mph, then it just revs and a loud clunk, so I pull over take the exit, I slow down, pull into a parking lot, then the O/D light comes on flashing. The manual says take it immediately to service. With no cell phone, I had to drive it home about 15 miles, with two more clunks, doing about 20 mph. Something is majorily wrong. All other gears work, rev, neutral, park. Any suggestions???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What transmission do you have? A 5r55e? The EPC solenoids are know to go bad.

No, he doesn't have the 5R55E - 97 was the first year for 5R55E. He has the 4R55E which is similar, but only has 4 forward gears.

The flashing O/D light is indicating that there was a transmission code set. If you have the codes read, you will get a diagnostic code indicating what the PCM thinks the problem(s) are.

Thanks for the responses. It now at a Ford dealer getting looked at, I will let you all know what exactly happened. Thanks again.

Frickin' car.... Transmission died. One of the bands brokes according to the service advisor, too many broken pieces. Costs lots of moolah to fix $2800 to be exact. Tomorrow I probably see what they offer and do a trade on another Explorer. I liked that car too.

Welcome to this forum! Instead of getting rid of it, you could try to rebuild the transmission yourself. Did you look at any of the stickies posted in the top of the transmission section like the A4LD Rebuild Diary, or Project Frankentranny?

Hello everybody. I'am new here and need some advice as well.

Have a 1995 model Ford explorer, 4R55E and 160.000 km on it. The trans gives me exactly the same problem and after trying to tighten the OD Band but it seems to me its broken since the adjusting bolt goes all the way in with no resistance whatsoever.

Got an offer for a 5R55E (Explorer 1998 model) with onle 28.000 Km (< 2.000 miles) on it but with broken extensjon housing (no visible damage to the rest of the trans) and it will cost me 3.000 Nkr or 500 US$.

As I understand from service manuals etc etc, I can't just use the 5R55E directly on my 1995 Explorer since its functionality is different than the original 4R55E or Is it an "easy way" around? Should I buy the 5R55E and use it as spare parts instead?

Regards

Paris

Hello everybody. I'am new here and need some advice as well.

Have a 1995 model Ford explorer, 4R55E and 160.000 km on it. The trans gives me exactly the same problem and after trying to tighten the OD Band but it seems to me its broken since the adjusting bolt goes all the way in with no resistance whatsoever.

Got an offer for a 5R55E (Explorer 1998 model) with onle 28.000 Km (< 2.000 miles) on it but with broken extensjon housing (no visible damage to the rest of the trans) and it will cost me 3.000 Nkr or 500 US$.

As I understand from service manuals etc etc, I can't just use the 5R55E directly on my 1995 Explorer since its functionality is different than the 4R55E.

Any "easy way" around?
Should I buy the 5R55E and use it as spare parts instead?
Or use new parts and rebuild the 4R55E instead?

Regards

Paris

Did a trade instead. Needed a car soon. Bought an 2002 Sport trac instead. Didn't have the time to fix or rebuild. Thanks anyways.

Another newbee here, I have a 98 explorer xlt 4x4 with 191,000 miles on it and have the O/D OFF light flashing. I've done a full fluid change and have had no luck with getting this light to stay off. Full computer diagnostics shows no codes active and a physical check of all visible sensors and wires show no excesive wear and tear and all contacts are clear and clean of road debris. I've disconnected the negative battery cable to reset the computer but the ford diagnostics manual states that drive cycles are required to reset all sensors to normal state. I've done that and the light comes on again. I drove the car home from an auction 500 miles away and did not notice any shifting problems. I checked the fuel milage during the trip and got 18 miles per gallon with the stock 4.0 litre engine. This is a frustrating issue as I have seen many things posted stating expensive repair costs and issues still prevail. I got this at a good price and am not prepared to spend a lot on a transmission right now. With this being an issue with many ford electronic transmissions I would think ford would have a solution to this other then transmission rebuilds. Someone suggested replacing all of the external transmission wiring and sensors and others have suggested that the PCM be reprogrammed because of the tight tolerances. I don't want to take it to ford right now because it seems as though ford charges you for guesses and not definitive answers and solutions.

Thanks

If you are getting a persistent flashing of the O/D On/Off light, you are definately setting a transmission code(s). You need a scanner that is capable of reading Ford Enhanced codes to retrieve it. Either a dealership or an independent shop with the right type of scanner should be able to retrieve the code(s).

I understand your reluctance to take it to the dealership - from their point of view, it is much easier just to replace the whole trans rather than figure out what is specifically wrong. Maybe you can find an independent shop in your area that can help.

Without knowing the codes, I can't really give any further advise.

I've done the Ford TSB with the new EPC blowoff valve etc, replaced the valve body gaskets, changed the filter and pan gasket, new mercron fluid and resistance checked all of the VB solenoids they all check out. I then adjusted the OD band and intermediate bands to 2 and 2.5 turns.

The problem I'm having is that my overdrive comes on and starts blinking and the Transmission does not want to shift into overdrive. The engine is at 3000 rpm's at 100 km/hr. I noticed a bit of hesitation on initial acceleration but once she get moving and shifts into second gear the acceleration is fine.

Only other issue is the rpm gauge does not usually work. I'm thinking the VSS or TRS could be the issue, anyone that is a pro at these ford transmissions please help. I have read many posts about this OD blinking but yet to find a good troubleshooting guide, thanks everyone.

Hello BrooklynBay, I pulled the codes from doing the paperclip test, read the check engine light flashes.

The KOEO codes were 335,336,645,648

The KOER test were 116,538,536,632,633,452

I know that the 116 is from not having the engine hot during goose test, I also did not cycle the TCS during goose test.

The KOEO test codes 645,648 are Transmission 1st gear failure and Transmission 4th gear failure - Transmissions which is exactly what the truck drives like, major hesitation starting off and then no overdrive or 4th gear

The 452 code Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) problem leads me to believe that this may be an electrical problem with me loosing 1st and 4th/OD, but my speedometer reads fine, its my RPM gauge that barely works.

Anyone know what could this exploder problem could be? I will do both tests again tomorrow to confirm,thanks

Check the bulkhead connector. It might be loose, corroded or unplugged. Did you check the fuses? Check the wiring to make sure that it's not damaged. Sometimes a wire could get damaged near the exhaust.

Thanks for the quick reply BrooklynBay

Do you mean the PCM bulkhead connector under the hood against the firewall on the passenger side?

I check all the fuses and as far as I can see they all check out. I read something in my haynes manuel about a 10 amp fuse check under the hood for something transmission related. The fuse supposed to be designated V. I could not see any fuse marked V or anything 10 amp in the engine compartment fuse box.

I did notice my horn not working when I drive home this afternoon though. That was after I checked the fuses.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Roger that, will check it out in the AM, thanks again!

Back