O/D light on and problem with Fuel Pump | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

O/D light on and problem with Fuel Pump

Reduser30

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Hey guys i have Ford Explorer 03 it has 198K miles on it.Bought it 2 years ago and drove without any problem until last week.
I was driving on the highway and started to get O/D light blinking error.Drove like 40 miles to my house and thought i can bring it to shop this weekend.Yesterday i started the car and there was no O/D light on went to shop and guy told me to drive some and come back until you get the light on.Went on the highway after 10 mins i got O/D light on and few miles later car just stopped first time in last 2 years.pulled on the roadside waited few mins.I had Check engine light on battery light on.Car started again and went to shop guy hooked up the the device ( launch tech something) nothing came up with the codes he said car just fine.
Decided i should bring the car somewhere else.There were another transmission guy 3 miles away and tried to drive there this time car completely died on me 100 feet away from the shop i was going.We towed the car to this new shop and he called me today and said fuel pump is dead and it needs replacement.
Original one $500 + $200 labor and cheap fuel pump $300 + 200.Which one i should choose?
What happens if i get that O/D light error again? Is this car completely trash and should i give up on fixing it?
Thanks for the help!

Back