• Register Today It's free!

OBD I codes

nooberiffic

Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
I dont ever get a CEL (MIL) while driving. I was doing some maintenance and decided to see if there were any KOEO or memory codes. I pulled two codes

KOEO - 629 (torque converter clutch fault) Which I think you need to pull the valve body to repair (and I am rebuilding a spare A4LD on the side, so I will ignore this one, unless there could be something external to check)

and memory - 543 (fuel pump relay or battery power feed was open)

Now, I did some searching and found that this problem has been fixed by checking the connections between the battery and the fuel pump relay with a voltmeter. I have a voltmeter and am willing to do this, but I dont know where to start. Any one want to give me some help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it was me, and you don't know the last time the codes were checked- and teh truck runs fine, I would clear them, and run another few drive cycles and see if they re-emerge before diving into anything.

KOEO - 629 (torque converter clutch fault) Which I think you need to pull the valve body to repair (and I am rebuilding a spare A4LD on the side, so I will ignore this one, unless there could be something external to check)
My experience with these codes is that they either represent a full open in the circuit or a short to ground. There is a lot more wiring outside the transmission in the TCC circuit than there is inside the transmission. You would only have to pull the valve body if the fault was in the solenoid itself. There are a few inches of wires that can be accessed with the pan dropped, and plenty of wire that is between the transmission and the PCM. You might consider getting a wiring diagram and see if the fault is in the external wiring.

I would agree with Joe Dirt for the CM 543: clear the code and see if and when it comes back. I had a random CM 542/543 for a long time and couldn't track it down until the day that it finally wouldn't start. Then I could find the break in the circuit.

Back