Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear

Longjohn119

Reaction score
City, State
Davenport, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie Bauer
Does anyone know where I can get a REAL mirror so I can get rid of this lame Soccer Mom mirror? Trying to judge how close you are to a dock on the passenger side is almost impossible

I don't want to replace the entire overpriced motorized mirror, just the glass part with a regular "Objects appear just like they are in real life' glass mirror ...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just get a piece of bathroom mirror cut and install it yourself. If not, get some of that mirrorized plexiglass and glue it on top?

If my memory serves, I believe that the FMVSS requires that the passenger side mirror be like that. To remain street-legal, it may be required... If it's a concern, check with the local constabulary.

-Joe

if you go to google type in towing mirrior there are alot of diffrent mirrors

you could just try to look over your shoulder

Oh, and if you do replace the pass side mirror with a conventional mirror, the image will be significantly smaller, and your blind spot will become significantly larger. Not a good combination, in my opinion anyways.

-Joe

Guys, I drive an E350 van all day at work with plain old mirrors ... I have better vision with the Explorer than I did with my Ranger and Topper, also with a plain old mirror

I doubt that puny blindspot on an Explorer is going to be a problem ... if it is I can get a mini-spot mirror for a couple of bucks and stick it on there ....

Those mirrors are just lame lame lame for anyone driving trucks and vans without them for the last 30+ years

Adam, I saw those and although not bad, I was prefering a permanent solution ... even in traffic I prefer a regular mirror that doesn't screw with your depth perception ....

You can bet you a$$ racers never use those other things ....

we always left the tow mirrors on are old explorer the ontly prob is the hit thinks easyer like troug a drive trough

You might try to attach a flat mirror to your originals, without removing anything. Ask a local glass shop if they can trim a mirror to shape. Good luck,

try any glass shop. They should be able to cut a mirror to replace your original

Back