Any Way To Accompish This? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any Way To Accompish This?

Thanks for the link
Those mirrors are really nice, but far too big for what i’m trying to do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So my glass was finally cut today, was able to get the heater pad installed, and the glass glued in.

S65vl6.jpg

Pad is small, also had to keep the terminals in a location that would not interfere with the mirror mounting ring, I know the heater is not in the optimal location, but this was the best compromise.

X91lUO.jpg

Here is where I had to cut the mounting plate for the heater terminals. On the right I was able to trim, had to drill a hole for left terminal.

SzI4iH.jpg

Dry fit of the glass/heater in the mounting plate, almost there!

Fav1hm.jpg

Used clear silicone to attach glass/heater and put some clamps on it. Says to leave it for 8hr so I figure i’ll let it sit overnight and know tomorrow how it came out.

Then I can install the mounted glass in the mirror and wire it up and install it.

That looks excellent, well done to the glass cutting and finishing, and you too.

If you have another or anything to attach again, avoid plain silicone, the low cost stuff becomes brittle with a little heat and age, and may fall apart. Use good RTV like the common Ultra Black or the several colors, those will all bond much stronger and likely never let go.

I bought exterior silicone, supposed to be good for weather

Tested it out it heats up pretty good. Was a tiny blob of silicone squeeze out scraped it off and cleaned it up.

Going to re-pin the connector and install the mirror into the assembly. Prob install the mirror this weekend

Said screw it and installed the mirror. After repinning the harness, figured i’m already halfway there and the power wire was already run halfway over to pass side already. I used the same location for ground that I used for the drivers side.
I did have to remove the ECM from its bracket and move out of the way to get to the access point for the door wiring. On the drivers side it was the parking brake in the way which was way more of a pita to remove than the ECM. One bolt (7mm I think) and it was out of the bracket. Everything went smooth until I tested the mirror before install. The motors were turning but no mirror movement. Turns out the little racks were not properly installed on the motor gears. Once that was fixed everything worked great.

The heater takes a little longer to heat up than the stock heated drivers side, since the pass side glass is easily twice as thick. But i’ll take it haha.

cCZmbK.jpg

I have been wanting flat heated mirrors on this truck since I bought it years ago.
So nice to finally have them. And they are stock 94 mirrors which is really nice too.
The glass co cut me 2 pieces for $20 and the truck mirror cost me I think $30 but you can def find them cheaper. Heater pad was another $30 but being able to see and back up in bad weather is really important and worth the investment IMHO.

Wow. You really have persevered. Very tenacious and determined.

Well done!

Excellent. I would do that myself just to get the stupid words removed from the glass.

Excellent. I would do that myself just to get the stupid words removed from the glass.

Well I do have a piece of mirror glass to fit your pass mirror that has no words on it!
It won’t fit my ‘94 mirrors so I can’t use it. PM me a shipping address and it’s yours for the price of shipping. It’s the one I ordered from the UK, it is convex but no writing.
Let me know

Cool, I could probably make use of it at some point. I'll PM you tomorrow for it.

10-4

Nice, now I want heated glass :banghead:
Which glass, the back hatch? I have a 91 Explorer XLT you can come get, it's got the defrost glass in it.

Which glass, the back hatch? I have a 91 Explorer XLT you can come get, it's got the defrost glass in it.

No, I was referring to the heated mirrors. I found a pair of second gen mirrors, but now I need to find the wiring from the second gen limited.

I have a 93 Eddie Bauer 4x4 model. It’s got everything except a sunroof.

No, I was referring to the heated mirrors. I found a pair of second gen mirrors, but now I need to find the wiring from the second gen limited.

Sorry, I forgot this was about the mirrors.

Which mirrors did you get, and from a Limited I gather yes?

Just curious... couldn't you get a local glass shop to cut you a flat piece of mirror :dunno:

Just curious... couldn't you get a local glass shop to cut you a flat piece of mirror :dunno:

This is what I ended up doing but I had to get the automotive mirror because regular glass companies around here don’t usually do automotive glass.

If you are adding Limited mirrors to a non Limited/EB, you will have to add the wiring in like I did in this thread
Heated Mirrors

Stock non heated mirror has 3 wires, heated has 5 wires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a set in my watch list, but yes they’re for the limited model.

You need the wiring pigtail of the other mirror also, even one without the heated wires if you don't mind using the same colored wires for the heated circuit. The terminals inside the connectors will interchange, and tapping into the Defrost circuit is the hard part.

Back