OBX Exhaust Header Manifold FITS 97 98 99 00 01 Explorer Mountaineer 5.0L V8 | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OBX Exhaust Header Manifold FITS 97 98 99 00 01 Explorer Mountaineer 5.0L V8

Sold my OBX explorer and got a newer 2000 5.0 and just wanted to say that I noticed the loss of power mostly in the higher RPMs. Its like the stock 5.0 is dead after 3000 RPM. really depressing.

Headers are worth it if you can the SOB's installed.

Torque Monster Headers are now available with the same quality as before. The website has been opened to take orders. Drop me an email (rcpasq@yahoo.com) if you prefer.

Robert Pasquale
Tech Performance & Engineering
Torque Monster Headers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@rcpasq
Hi Robert, this might not be the correct forum for this, but here goes.....
What are the odds of building something with larger tubes?
I know its super tight in there. I currently have Twisted wedge heads, and the headers fit with some massaging of the heads. # 8 plug (Drivers side closest to fire wall) might become an issue as its currently crazy tight at that plug. On the passenger side, there are two spots that the header tubes are against the head. One spot is at the valve cover (#4 tube), and at the top of the collector (#2 pipe)

I don't know much about manufacturing, or the jigs that you might be working with, or if its even possible to make a change with the room constraints. I just thought it's worth asking the question.

@rcpasq
I know its super tight in there. I currently have Twisted wedge heads, and the headers fit with some massaging of the heads. # 8 plug (Drivers side closest to fire wall) might become an issue as its currently crazy tight at that plug. On the passenger side, there are two spots that the header tubes are against the head. One spot is at the valve cover (#4 tube), and at the top of the collector (#2 pipe)

I don't know much about manufacturing, or the jigs that you might be working with, or if its even possible to make a change with the room constraints. I just thought it's worth asking the question.

Same question.

@rcpasq

Same question.

Yeah. What they said.

Yeah. What they said.
Better would be to post pictures of simple log manifolds, compact examples for a SBF.

What's not needed is a complicated attempt at an equal length header. Just build a plain log manifold with 1 5/8" primaries, merging into a single growing size plenum, to a 2.5" collector, short and located near(not exactly at) the original collector.

People need this who are having a shop put an exhaust together. Modifying the down pipe and using a larger collector is minor. Make the collector a V-band flange, sell the mating flange with it, and matching cat pipes if you are inspired to do a thorough job.

Skip the emissions legalities, people who want these don't need CARB exemptions. Let those people who have to, live with the existing choices.

Better would be to post pictures of simple log manifolds, compact examples for a SBF.

What's not needed is a complicated attempt at an equal length header. Just build a plain log manifold with 1 5/8" primaries, merging into a single growing size plenum, to a 2.5" collector, short and located near(not exactly at) the original collector. People need this who are having a shop put an exhaust together, modifying the down pipe and using a larger collector is minor. Make the collector a V-band flange, sell the mating flange with it, and a cat pipe if you are inspired to do a thorough job. Skip the emissions legalities, people who want these don't need CARB exemptions. Let those people live with the existing choices.

What?

Look at all late model Mustangs, even the Cobras, that's what they come with.

Here's what I call a nice manifold, this is for an LS engine, 1 3/4" pipes at the ports. These are cast pieces, but my point is the same. A log manifold can flow a ton if air, and also not take up a lot of space.

LS Log Manifold & exh coating.jpg

something like that front facing (Or maybe flipped would be awesome) would be the start of a under hood turbo.
Turbo at where the air box is, move the battery to the back, and the coolant reservoir to where the battery was. Way, way off topic. sorry. lol.

# 8 plug (Drivers side closest to fire wall) might become an issue as its currently crazy tight at that plug. On the passenger side, there are two spots that the header tubes are against the head. One spot is at the valve cover (#4 tube), and at the top of the collector (#2 pipe)

Same with the Holley/Brodix. I ended up just selling the headers and scrapping my plans after I seen all the issues they have with aluminum heads. :(

0908161406a_zpsugofgkcv.jpg

0908161404a_zpslcjdfzu4.jpg

0908161407c_zpsjlju6qx1.jpg

0908161401_zpsnrxyasbn.jpg

You can see theres no clearance issues (valve cover) with stock heads:

0908161147a_zpsthywwxr3.jpg

0908161147_zpsyhgjb9rt.jpg

Back