OBX and Torque Monster headers | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OBX and Torque Monster headers

@rcpasq but he hasn't been on here in years

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update: still waiting on my set

Almost at the 7 month mark

It’s probably worth the wait. I intend to use my vehicle regularly which means choosing quality components.

I’ve had a set of tmh in my bronco since 2006 still going strong and that truck gets used and beat on pretty good!

I've got my OBX for current build. Once I've recovered from spending on it, I might consider putting in an order for the real TMs. Will be building an engine to replace this one in the future and it might be nice to have the real deal on that one. Especially if he'll make them with larger tubes like he has done in years past.

Im literally buying a whole donor rig for 3k that has TMH on it mainly just for them. I may also need the engine block... but that is another matter.

The obx I have are holding up well and fit pretty good! I know the early ones had some fitment issues but these obx ones are 80% as good as the early
Tmh they copied

Yeah, unfortunately they've really gone up in price. How is their availability? Are they short lead time compared to the TMH?

Cannot even find them for sale anywhere (not in stock for over a year now)

Yeah, unfortunately they've really gone up in price. How is their availability? Are they short lead time compared to the TMH?

Yes they have. Still worth it IMO. At my time of purchase they were available (obviously) and it is worth having them sitting on the shelf waiting, rather than the project waiting for something to eventually arrive.

Yes, if I ordered them back then I might have a set of TMH now. Based on other replies and comments that is unlikely. The OBX were sitting on the shelf within the week and waiting for me to get time and parts arranged. Last major part (an AWD donor) arrived in December, so that time seems to have finally arrived.

Plans are to start the swap on presidents day weekend. I intend to have the full week available and done within the week, but I'm really hoping I'll have a little time left over. I don't have the space and experience of someone like 410 available, but I'm also not getting as involved as he normally does. I won't be going deep into cleaning, or upgrading other items. Quick engine bay wash, swap from locking hubs to live axles, and a small harness modification. Everything else should be straight unbolt/plug from one & bolt/plug into the other with addition of headers.

Plans are to start the swap on presidents day weekend. I intend to have the full week available and done within the week, but I'm really hoping I'll have a little time left over. I don't have the space and experience of someone like 410 available, but I'm also not getting as involved as he normally does. I won't be going deep into cleaning, or upgrading other items. Quick engine bay wash, swap from locking hubs to live axles, and a small harness modification. Everything else should be straight unbolt/plug from one & bolt/plug into the other with addition of headers.
You got a thread going yet? We always love a 5.0 swap on here (especially with pictures!).

Hopefully the exhaust bolts are not too rusty if your donor spent its days in GA. If you're going to be in a time crunch though, I'd recommend picking up all new hardware for your headers and be ready to extract broken bolts from the heads if needed.

I have done these swaps in all fashions! Including the quick re seal and shove method

Always expect broken bolts especially now that these are 24 year old rigs!

When I did my bronco I borrowed my dads barn half the swap was spent just warming up the space and getting parts to and from the mountain location!

When there is a will there is a way!

You got a thread going yet? We always love a 5.0 swap on here (especially with pictures!).

Hopefully the exhaust bolts are not too rusty if your donor spent its days in GA. If you're going to be in a time crunch though, I'd recommend picking up all new hardware for your headers and be ready to extract broken bolts from the heads if needed.
Well I've actually got two Explorer engines. The AWD donor is a 2000 model from Ohio I think. The rust would seem to confirm that, but I know no owner or maintenance history. The other engine is from a 1998 and I think it spent it's life in middle GA until it was rolled, I purchased from original owners family (went to tech school and worked with one of them) and it was well maintained.

Kind of leaning towards using the 98 engine. If I do use the 2000, I expect broken studs. If that happens I either fix it or swap heads between the two.

New ARP header bolts have already been ordered or are sitting in my Amazon cart. Getting slightly longer bolts for the Remflex gaskets, also selected a 5/16 head 6 point for extra tool clearance around the pipes.

When I did my bronco I borrowed my dads barn half the swap was spent just warming up the space and getting parts to and from the mountain location!

I don't think I'll have a heat problem, probably won't need it here. That's part of why I want to get it done sooner than later, spring quickly gets too warm to be doing this type of stuff and you can forget about summer.

I do understand the logistics issues. Probably not as bad, but about 30 miles between the house and shop. Getting everything in one place can be a pain. Made even worse by parts stores not stocking anything, which is why I'm trying to order ahead on things I'm likely to need.

Back