OBX and Torque Monster headers | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OBX and Torque Monster headers

OBX headers are complete **** and probably spent 20+ hours installing/trying to fix/uninstalling. Do not use those.

Torque monsters come up for sale every so often. Mine will never be removed. Get locking bolts and good crush gaskets for the install.

OBX set I got were so poorly made you could not bolt the spark plugs in and it slammed into the brake booster. I serious hate those things. Cost me hours and hours of time could of been spent with a really great girl I had at the time. Probably could be blamed for break up in some sense. Get a time machine and destroy the OBX factory I will.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OBX headers are complete **** and probably spent 20+ hours installing/trying to fix/uninstalling. Do not use those.

Torque monsters come up for sale every so often. Mine will never be removed. Get locking bolts and good crush gaskets for the install.

OBX set I got were so poorly made you could not bolt the spark plugs in and it slammed into the brake booster. I serious hate those things. Cost me hours and hours of time could of been spent with a really great girl I had at the time. Probably could be blamed for break up in some sense. Get a time machine and destroy the OBX factory I will.

You are being mighty harsh with the OBX (Chinese knock off) company. They stole the design of the TM headers. Do you think there's a law to make them honor the TM company or the customers, and do a proper job of copying the headers?

Those headers were made to push the limits of the available space, they are routed way too close to the heads, valve covers, plug wires, and everything else nearby. That is how equal length headers are made, that is why they are all hell to install, and should never be produced to begin with. A simple shorty header could have been made by someone capable, including TM. These will be "famous" in the future. I just hope someone makes a decent header that can be compared with in the future, of how easy it could be to install headers on an Explorer.

Just trying to save others from the same time wasted when you think it might be worth the cost. I ended up getting TM headers and they are working well. At the time I had ability and space to install headers the TM were not available. I should of just waited and that's all I'm recommending.

Once you know how to do the install it's really not bad at all. Yes you need locking bolts that are shaved on some of them and Remflex (IIRC) gaskets with high quality spark plug shielding socks/sleeves and then bailing wire to route all the wires away from danger. Just wish I had done it TM the first go.

I was an idiot and don't do what I did and buy OBX headers. Ever

For another car I've been waiting almost a year for a set of headers. Will be 57 weeks total when they are targeted to ship so at least I learned my lesson.

I feel fortunate to get a set. It's pretty awesome someone is still making custom headers, one at a time to fit these 20+ year old rigs.

I have installed a lot of tmh like 10 sets or so
I have had a couple sets of obx/maximizers too
The early obx had major issues, the later ones fit pretty well. They are no tmh but they will get the job done. Tmh far better product there is no denying this

Patience is the new greatest asset, everything is hard to get now. A super guy who built headers for decades died last year from the flu. He was the source of dozens of Ford headers for all kinds of engines and cars, Accufab(George) if you know of it. He is sorely missed, that kind of skill is actually precious.

I've had a set of OBX for a couple years now. Install was a major pain, a few of the bolts are near impossible to get in and tighten down. I should have had them decked but I didn't think about it at the time. I used copper crush gaskets and they seem to be doing fine.
I have a 3" body lift and the steering shaft extension would rub against the header. I had to grind the shaft extension down so it's a lot better now.
The OBX are not legal in CA so if u get them u better have a smog guy that will pass them. Welds are ok and the finish hasn't rusted yet

So I've heard that Rob's not a bad guy. I think he is busy with something else and Torque Monster Headers is a side gig. I looked up his locale via the P.O. Box mentioned on the website and it turns out that he might be a Program Manager at General Atomic? Regardless, I still do not have headers I ordered last October, he doesn't answer the phone (I've called him at least 10 times in the last 10 months) and I no longer get responses via email. Take it or leave it, I guess. At this point, I'm not planning to run headers on my build. I'm cleaning up the stock castings just a tiny bit and on they go.
Hey @Mesozoic, did those headers ever arrive?

file a complaint with your bank/credit card company

file a complaint with your bank/credit card company
I have thought about this many times, but I figured that I'd hold out and wait to see what transpires. My plan is to replace the engine in my Mounty over Christmas and I don't expect to have the headers for that task. If I do ever see them, I was thinking that I would take that opportunity to rebuild the entire exhaust system, to include moving to full 2.5" tubing for the exhaust all the way out. I think I've currently got the stock cat assembly plumbed into a Magnaflow dual inlet muffler which definitely has larger diameter tubing in and out, so it's not entirely stock to begin with. I ordered the headers through Paypal and their dispute resolution date ended back in March this year, but I could always approach my credit card company.

Now im really hoping you open the door two weeks before Christmas brake and BLAMO!! Tmh on the porch for x mas!! Wouldn’t that be great

Here’s to hoping Robert is okay and headers are still shippingneventually

Saw a sign of life last week. Rob finally cleared out his voicemail so I was able to leave my info. Haven't heard back yet, but I'm calling him pretty regularly.

At least that confirms he's still around...

Hopefully...

It could also mean it got cleared out for other reasons. Good luck!

My stepson bought a truck of Craigslist yeaterday
97 5.0 with new tires and 200k something miles. $750

Came with a set of TMH!! TORQUE MONSTER BABY!!

Gotta watch that Craigslist like a hawk. If we can find a set here in north Idaho then they shoul pop up everywhere now and then

Early set on a p engine in great shape. Truck has sat for a while so crackheads already stole all 4 cats, but the tmh still there and in great shape

He has been looking for years

He found one other set before, years ago in the junk yard in Colorado… except his brother kept them… get this with that set the engine has already been pulled and the tmh were just sitting there on the Downpipes. His brother still has those and he never did install them, but refuses to sell them. Finally his patience has paid off and now he has a set… came with a whole 5.0 donor too!

What a steal!

I'm always hoping to find a set in the salvage yards, but no luck yet

Crazy thing is that stupid explorer was listed in the Craigslist for a year! Have no idea how we missed it before…. Well I know how I did I’ve been too busy to look at cl! And I have enough trucks to last the next two years lol

Awesome find!

I wonder if TMH would or will be ready to train and sell jigs to someone?????? Retirement is goooooooood!

Oh man if I could get ahold of jigs...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like his mailbox is full again lol. Maybe there are quite a few people waiting who aren't on this thread.

Back to square 1!

I've seen Rob on this forum before. Anyone remember his username?

Back