OBX and Torque Monster headers | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OBX and Torque Monster headers

Unfortunately, I can't report that I've received them yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok well I just pulled the trigger on the TMH. The wait time has me nervous, I won't lie.

I'm hoping yours come in during my PayPal cancel window @Mesozoic so I can have some reassurance before it's too late 🤣

Got an email from Rob last night which said my headers should ship in 10-12 weeks.

If that's accurate, it would be a nice surprise over a year-long wait time. Maybe I caught him at the right time when he was ordering a batch

Still 10-12 weeks out! Dang he should double this batch more people would pull the trigger if there were some available…
In a perfect world

Still 10-12 weeks out! Dang he should double this batch more people would pull the trigger if there were some available…
In a perfect world
At 10-12 weeks I might be ordering now. I assumed 6-12 months still >.>

I'm still waiting on my set which were ordered last October!

I'm still waiting on my set which were ordered last October!
Yeah, that's why I'm hoping that it's an accurate figure. What was your estimated ship date that you got from Rob last October?

Straight from Bob's email to me from back in October 4, 2022.
We are back-ordered, so please allow 10-12 weeks to ship.

I just emailed him again to see if there's any movement on this front. He hasn't been responsive to my emails and the voicemail I get has a full inbox, so there's not a lot I'm able to do in terms of getting a hold of him. Not keen on making a trip out to the L.A. area just to hunt him down either, but if he can't do it I'm definitely looking to get my money back.

Straight from Bob's email to me from back in October 4, 2022.

I just emailed him again to see if there's any movement on this front. He hasn't been responsive to my emails and the voicemail I get has a full inbox, so there's not a lot I'm able to do in terms of getting a hold of him. Not keen on making a trip out to the L.A. area just to hunt him down either, but if he can't do it I'm definitely looking to get my money back.
Alright, so the ship date isn't necessarily accurate. Somewhat concerning. Have you tried calling him? There's a number on the TM website.

I'm also concerned about them being shipped and never getting a tracking number from Rob. We would never know if the box got lost in shipment

So I've heard that Rob's not a bad guy. I think he is busy with something else and Torque Monster Headers is a side gig. I looked up his locale via the P.O. Box mentioned on the website and it turns out that he might be a Program Manager at General Atomic? Regardless, I still do not have headers I ordered last October, he doesn't answer the phone (I've called him at least 10 times in the last 10 months) and I no longer get responses via email. Take it or leave it, I guess. At this point, I'm not planning to run headers on my build. I'm cleaning up the stock castings just a tiny bit and on they go.

I’m in a similar situation, ordered December 2022 and got the 10-12 week email. No email response since, however I did call and speak to him on the phone twice and he was very nice. His voicemail is full and I haven’t gotten a hold of him in about 4 months. I’m sure his headers are great just wish I had them. Back to waiting haha

Hopefully he didn’t kick the bucket

I’m in a similar situation, ordered December 2022 and got the 10-12 week email. No email response since, however I did call and speak to him on the phone twice and he was very nice. His voicemail is full and I haven’t gotten a hold of him in about 4 months. I’m sure his headers are great just wish I had them. Back to waiting haha
Oh wow, 10 months... Did he say anything about when to expect them when you had him on the phone? PayPal refund request deadline is coming up for me and I'm sweating a bit...

I'm considering chickening out if I'm completely honest

If y’all aren’t receiving any communication after many, many months (10 is insane), it’s time for refunds and chargebacks.

The guy may be a great dude. His headers may be incredible. But none of that is any excuse for running a business so poorly. You take damn near $1000 of someone’s hard earned money, don’t communicate for damn near a year? Nah.

Get your money back. Maybe having some banks up his ass and sitting on $10,000 in headers will motivate him to run his business properly.

That said, if he is in poor health…I hope he gets better. But you would still deserve your money back.

In a perfect world
Would you happen to know if TMH’s gt40 headers would work on gt40p heads? I know there’s no egr but are the tubes different? Just wondering if you knew

In 10 months I can learn to weld and make my own
This is my plan as of now.

If Rob would return my calls or email me back, I'd really like to give him my business as his headers genuinely seem like a quality product worth the price.

The further I get into the process of making my own, the more appreciation I have for his design. There's a lot of tradeoffs to make if you want to maintain the factory exit flange locations (so you don't have to redo the rest of your exhaust) and to end up with decent spark plug access. His primary routing looks funky on its own, but makes a lot of sense when you look close at the headers after installation.

I have put gt40p headers on non p heads yes and they will work vise versa you just need angled spark plug wire boots

Moving the collectors to allow better space for the merge point is a compromise I'm willing to make. I'll build mine from the back to the front, so the down pipes will be no issue for me to alter when needed. I've been hunting some for a merge collector section, to build onto. I want a merge point where the four pipes come together, to be a little under 2.5", say 2.25", and then expand immediately back out to 2.5". They make that for most sizes, but unfortunately the prices are in the $250 range, each. I'll have to adapt something else which at least has the four 1.625" primaries coming into each other at a proper angle. They need to be angled, not parallel, and not too sharp like the OEM collectors which look easily to be 45* or more. That angle should be mirrored on the other side where the tight spot opens back up. I bought something from Summit which was supposed to be that design, for $49. But it was an entirely different part, the pipes were all parallel with no narrowing merge point.

Schoenfeld SOM72530 merge collector 1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I played with that picture but didn't hunt the ideal merge collector picture. This pic is decent to explain with. Below note the yellow lines I made, that flat(parallel) section should not be there, the pipes should come down to a narrow point, and then immediately open back up, to the end collector size.

Note the orange lines, those are the angles of the pipes coming together. The pipe after that merge point, should open back up at the same angle, see the orange line I made on the other side where it expands. Those two angles should be the same, that is for maximum scavenging. That is more valuable for power than equalizing the primaries. Skip the primaries, ignore the lengths, make them whatever it takes to fit them easily and well into the space. The merge point is far more important, the OEM collectors are terrible, and the TM headers copied them.

Schoenfeld SOM72530 merge collector 2.jpg

Back