• Register Today It's free!

OD Off light blinking

Jon Doe Kauai

Reaction score
City, State
Kauai Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Ranger
Aloha everyone, I have a 1996 Ranger, 4.0 2wd, with an automatic 4R55E trans. Last Friday on the way to work the OD Off light started blinking. I stopped and checked my fluid which was a little old but not burned smelling and was at the right level. I drove a couple of hundred more yards and decided to check it out again turning the engine off this time. I didn't see anything amiss so I started it back up and the light went off. It stayed off until I got to work. (About 6 miles) It didn't feel right to me so I went to the auto hobby shop at the navy base where I work. My friend who works there ran a scanner and got two codes P0733 and P0734. He said it referenced 3rd and 4th gear ratios being wrong. He reset the computer and it didn't come on again until the next morning when I was forced to go golfing! (I was in a tourney that I'd already paid for) that time I stopped and turned the engine off again and it reset. I babied it to my buddies house and got there just fine. I stopped at a parts store and got a filter and new ATF. When I opened the pan there was a lot of gray material stuck on the magnet but no chunks of metal, ok maybe one or two very small brass flecks. After refilling it Saturday it seemed okay but still not right. I drove to town on Sunday and the light didn't come on until I had to brake hard at a light. I got some Lucas transmission treatment and it is shifting better and no light today. So here's my question, should I try adjusting the bands? Is it even worth trying? I checked on rebuilt transmissions and the cost is more than the truck is worth. It doesn't have any rust but the paint is bad on the hood and roof from the tropical sun. I would like to get the trans rebuilt and could do the install myself since I have the use of a lift. I used to be a wrench when I was young but never built any automatics. Is this something an above average shade tree could tackle? Sorry for the long post, thanks Jon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could try a band adjustment. I suspect the servos. They might be dried out. Clean the bulkhead connector too. If this doesn't help then check to see if the valve body gasket is bad, and if the bolts are loose.

Thanks Brooklyn bay, the truck has close to 190k on it. Just getting ready to put in new odometer gear. The servos easy to check? I did not check the valve body when I had it open, Duh! I only had an hour to do the filter change or risk having to leave the truck until Tuesday. I've always been a little suspicious about this tranny and have driven it easy since I've owned it. I never drive over 50-55 and don't do hard accelerations. Thanks again, Jon

Check transmission signal and od light flashes

Hye,

I have 2005 Ford Explorer XLT 6 cylinder. It was running good . However last few days I started seeing check transmission indicator in hood and od light blinking. When I turned the engine off and restarted it was gone. After one day it started again and check engine soon light also tuned on. I checked the ecc code it was 765. Then I flashed the PCM it went fine for one day. AFter one day again check engine light turned on . After some time same check transmission and OD OFF flashing light this time codes were 456. Its really confusing. What shoudl I do any guidance is it related to PCM , Solenoids , valve body..???? Any help please. :exporange

Aloha everyone, I have a 1996 Ranger, 4.0 2wd, with an automatic 4R55E trans. Last Friday on the way to work the OD Off light started blinking. I stopped and checked my fluid which was a little old but not burned smelling and was at the right level. I drove a couple of hundred more yards and decided to check it out again turning the engine off this time. I didn't see anything amiss so I started it back up and the light went off. It stayed off until I got to work. (About 6 miles) It didn't feel right to me so I went to the auto hobby shop at the navy base where I work. My friend who works there ran a scanner and got two codes P0733 and P0734. He said it referenced 3rd and 4th gear ratios being wrong. He reset the computer and it didn't come on again until the next morning when I was forced to go golfing! (I was in a tourney that I'd already paid for) that time I stopped and turned the engine off again and it reset. I babied it to my buddies house and got there just fine. I stopped at a parts store and got a filter and new ATF. When I opened the pan there was a lot of gray material stuck on the magnet but no chunks of metal, ok maybe one or two very small brass flecks. After refilling it Saturday it seemed okay but still not right. I drove to town on Sunday and the light didn't come on until I had to brake hard at a light. I got some Lucas transmission treatment and it is shifting better and no light today. So here's my question, should I try adjusting the bands? Is it even worth trying? I checked on rebuilt transmissions and the cost is more than the truck is worth. It doesn't have any rust but the paint is bad on the hood and roof from the tropical sun. I would like to get the trans rebuilt and could do the install myself since I have the use of a lift. I used to be a wrench when I was young but never built any automatics. Is this something an above average shade tree could tackle? Sorry for the long post, thanks Jon

Hye,

Sorry forgot to mention one thing that might help. When gear lowers down from high speed to low then shifting make thud sound for 2nd to 1st gear shift. Otherwise on high speed shifting is perfect.

Hi everyone, well I've been babying my truck since my OD light started blinking. I'm trying to get my truck to last until January when I'll be getting a new vehicle. I only drive it on level ground and it's been doing ok.Lucky that the grocery store is close by. There is a little slipping in 3rd gear when I use too much throttle during acceleration. After it gets into overdrive everything seems ok. So here's my question. I've been looking for a good used trans and I'm looking at putting a 5R55E in place and just want to make sure that it will work. I know it needs to be from another 4.0 truck and will only be a four speed but I'm fine with that. Just don't want to buy one and get screwed. I'm seriously considering trying to rebuild the original trans after reading Glaciers thread. I have a 5R55E repair manual and access to a lift. With a pretty good understanding of the 4R55E and some degree of mechanical ability I think I can pull it off. The one other thing is do I need the special tool to set the pump gears or could I use the method I've seen on YouTube where Hiram uses the old torque converter? Thanks for your help, Jon

Back