odd sound during deceleration - 2012 xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

odd sound during deceleration - 2012 xlt

phenrichs78

Reaction score
City, State
Watertown
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
On our 2012 a new sound has begun in the past couple weeks. When you let off the throttle and it is in free deceleration there is a sound that I would say is most closely described as the same sound a truck makes with the engine brake turned on except not nearly as loud. The sound goes away automatically once you get slowed down to around 10mph.
My girlfriend says it sounds like a playing card in the spokes of a bicycle wheel.
This is the 2.0L Eco front wheel drive.

I was wondering if maybe some exhaust leak but I would expect that to make constant noise. Perhaps there is a pressure valve or something.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you shift to neutral does the sound go away? Does it make any noise while in Reverse?

I assume if u press the gas after letting it decelerate the sound goes away? The process of elimination will help narrow this down.

If I tough the throttle, even the slightest little bit it stops. The sound does not occur in reverse. Have not tried the neutral idea. Good thinking

Sorry, just getting back to this. If I shift into Neutral the sound stops. Back into Drive without touching the throttle the sound returns.

If you press the throttle the sound stops. There is no vibration felt with this sound at all. I am puzzled

The drivetrain is definitely the culprit. Could be the transmission or PTU (if its AWD). Could also be pinion/driveshaft going into transmission.

Have you scanned for codes yet?

The drivetrain is definitely the culprit. Could be the transmission or PTU (if its AWD). Could also be pinion/driveshaft going into transmission.

Have you scanned for codes yet?
There are no codes in the system.

I'm having a similar issue with my 2016 Sport. No codes either. Please post if you find a solution. I'll do the same.

Back