Off topic question, stripped nut removal. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Off topic question, stripped nut removal.

bizzs

Reaction score
City, State
Gibsonia Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
I am trying to remove a brake booster from my son's 95 Buick skylark and the nuts are located under the dash. The stem from the booster is mounted through the firewall under the dash, and the nuts are very hard to turn with a socket. The nut is not damaged on the outer stars and the socket grabs it fine, but the problem is, the nut is 3/4 of the way off and spins. I tried to get a screw driver behind the nut and turn the socket, but it appears to be stripped.

Anyone have ideas on how I can get this nut off? There is minimal room to get my hands up there because of metal brackets, and it is very confined working conditions. I am out of ideas and hope someone can give a little insight.

Thanks
bizzs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it were me I'd cut the bolt behind the nut with the small cutoff wheel on my Dremel. Since it's stripped could prob cut it in front of the nut and pull the nut off.

Pull all the other nuts/bolts and have someone (on the other side of the firewall) put a large screwdriver/prybar behind the mounting bracket while you turn the nut. Enough pressure, and it should catch. If not.. cutting is the only way.

....sounds like you don't have room for a nut-splitter, and probably not enough for a long chisel.

I am trying to remove a brake booster from my son's 95 Buick skylark and the nuts are located under the dash. The stem from the booster is mounted through the firewall under the dash, and the nuts are very hard to turn with a socket. The nut is not damaged on the outer stars and the socket grabs it fine, but the problem is, the nut is 3/4 of the way off and spins. I tried to get a screw driver behind the nut and turn the socket, but it appears to be stripped.

Anyone have ideas on how I can get this nut off? There is minimal room to get my hands up there because of metal brackets, and it is very confined working conditions. I am out of ideas and hope someone can give a little insight.

Thanks
bizzs

Tighten the nut, then inspect the threads. If they are slightly damaged, take one of the other nuts and slowly run it onto the stripped stud using WD-40 or the lube of our choice, running it snug and backing off over and over, each time going a bit farther.

If the threads are really messed up, get a tap and die set to clean them up.

Thanks guys for the advice. The bolt is stuck on the end of the stem and will not thread in or out. The area is very tight and I cannot even get me had to it.

Are you replacing the booster? if so, just go at it with a cutoff wheel. No need to be nice if you're replacing the booster.

Or, it the space is really tight, take the blade off a hacksaw frame and pretend you're a convict cutting your way out of prison. It might take an hour, but it'll work. Oh, make sure you cut between the nut and the firewall.

Back