• Register Today It's free!

Offroad in Michigan

LazyDay

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport 4x4
I'm just moved to S.E. Michigan from Utah and I can't wait to get off road and try out my Explorer Sport I just bought. The problem however is that I don't know where to go! Need some help! My Explorer is stock and I'm not not looking to bang it all up (can't afford it) but I do want to have fun. Anyone out there that can help let me know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm from south east michigan too, around detroit, I get my explorer in about week and plan to do some offroading with my friend when he gets his jeep. I'm also looking for places to go, so let us both know :)

Thanks

bump

Hey guys, I'm from Norhtern Michigan. If you are looking for a great place to spend a week end wheeling and just have fun, Silver lake Sand Dunes south of Ludington is great. I've been going down there for the past three years and we have a blast! I'm going to be putting some pictures up of my truck on the dunes soon if you want to see what it is like. Also if you guys are up for it, maybe we should try to plan an Explorer Dune run this summer.

Tars

That sounds fun, never done any sand dune wheelin! What about trails and stuff up there in the north? Are there any good ones?

I am also kinda new to wheelin. I've been doing it for about 6 years, but I started with an 87 Dodge RAM 50 4x4, not exactly the best vehicle. Anyway, the trails up here are pretty cool. I've been on a couple, but I don't recommend then if you are looking to avoid damage. I did one trail, it started at the road and went up to the top of a cliff up here north of Calumet. It was very fun, but I almost got stranded there more than once. The JEEP I was with had no problems though, the wonders of ground clearance. Anyway my skidplates(thank god I had them) bear the scares of the day. I'm trying ot tag along with the 4wheel club up here to see a couple different trails, but they all drive heavily modified Chevy's and JEEPs. But the dunes are a great time especially if you are new to wheeling. You can really get a feel to how you truck handles in 4x4.

Hey, guys... there are a bunch of F-150 owners that go to the dunes a couple of times a summer... I'm sure you'd be more than welcome. Most of them are from the s/e MI area, and windsor. It looks like a good time. If something comes up, let me know, and maybe I can join you. Now, let's see... which 4x4 to take.... ;-)
-Joe-

cool. i'm from south east mi too, so maybe next summer i'll be able to at least find some good trails. Dunes arent really what i'm looking for, but they'd be fun none the less :)

Anyways, i'm also thinking about buying a VW bug to make a dune buggy out of ... but considereing i'm 15 and dont have a job yet, that might take a while :) anyways. keep us posted on what trails you find.

Thanks
Jeff A.k.a Lamah

bump

Back