Offroading.. TTB style!

Four0Sport

Jack from JackOffRoad
Reaction score
City, State
West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2dr
I took part in a local 4x4 club offroad poker run today and needless to say I was the only Explorer amongst all Jeeps and one EB. I got all the usual looks and glares and concerns about how my truck would do, and honestly, I had no idea how it would do on some mild-moderate trails with a few difficult obstacles.

We had flood warning level rains for the past few days and most of the people who signed up for the 'Near-Stock' run bailed out at the last minute. My group consisted of my 1993 Explorer, my friends 03 Rubicon, 2 CJs, a Suzuki that rocked, a Cherokee, and a really nice EB.

We hit some pretty hard obstacles, crossed a fair share of creeks, and in the last section ran a few miles of off-camber trails. The group leader was amazed at how well I was doing, especially with open diffs and high gears. Honestly the truck did great.. low range, Low1, crawled through everything! Engine temp stayed down, trans temp stayed down, steering never got spongey.. I could go on. My confidence in my driving ability and in my vehicle is really high after this event. I have some plans on what I need to do next with my truck and am eager to get to work on it and possibly starting another project.

Thanks to this site and all its helpful hints for keeping me in my Explorer when everyone told me it wasnt worth it!

6090_234457520176_856280176_8070718.jpg

Here is a link to all of the pictures I got today, hopefully I can get photos of my truck from others in the group today. One in particular over an obstacle they call 'The Twist', its exciting!

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj270/feelnoutshind/stagger%20poker%20run/

Special thanks to my co-pilot/navigator/photographer/best friend/fiance for all the help during the tight spots and making this a very enjoyable day!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...There is no turning back now...You know where this is heading....More mod's and more trails...:biggthump

...Post up some more pics here and thanks for sharing...

I'm going to have to agree with you, people totally underestimate the Explorers. I haven't got around to posting up my crazy off road weekend yet. But generally the response has been "You did THAT trail in an Explorer??!???!??!?" The X's need to represent!!! LOL

But seriously, that was the comments.... "In an Explorer???!?!" and "You HAVE to be Joking." and "I know mod'ed Jeeps that won't touch that one.." ect... :)

Course I did get stuck, but really wasn't the X's fault. It was a wash out and the rear bumper got landed with one tire on my open diff rear 2" off the ground, and I couldn't pull myself off (angles were all wrong). We hiked a come-a-long in and pulled me about 1" forward and I popped right out on my own! :)

Think I'll go post up that adventure over in the Stock section....

I didnt have any trouble whatsoever.. and I was going in expecting to break something and get hung up at least 4 times. The guy that lead the run said that I am the widest, longest vehicle to make it through some of the trails.

My friend and his wife were behind me in the Rubicon and said that the Explorer had some crazy flex over some obstacles, but I didnt stay on them long enough for any pictures. I will have to remember to pose next time.

looked through the camera and found this flex shot that i missed the first time around..

100_0907.jpg

nothing spectacular i know, the camera was never handy for the 'iffy' spots.

Man, that is some GORGEOUS terrain out there!!

I dont think I could ever leave WV.. we were in pittsburgh all day yesterday and hated it. I'm perfectly happy with my rolling hills, creeks, streams, and forests.

The trails we took were all 'impassable' county roads. Its amazing how the group I went with had maps for all the trails and knew some of the adjacent landowners. Great group of guys to go wheelin with. I look forward to more trips to come.

Back