Oil Change interval | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change interval

I use a 6000 - 7000 mile interval and I also rotate the tires each time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just had my 3rd change at about 18k. I believe all Ford dealers use a synthetic blend now and I'm sure you can push the oil changes and go with the monitor. I have done mine at about 40%.

Whichever way you feel more comfortable is up to you, but PLEASE rotate your tires every 5,000 miles to get longer life out of them. Nothing worse than telling a customer their tires are worn badly when they come in for the first oil change at 10,000 miles or higher. I will hear the argument against that, but you have been warned.... :D

:salute:

Whichever way you feel more comfortable is up to you, but PLEASE rotate your tires every 5,000 miles to get longer life out of them. Nothing worse than telling a customer their tires are worn badly when they come in for the first oil change at 10,000 miles or higher. I will hear the argument against that, but you have been warned.... :D

:salute:
My dealer does a tire rotation as part of the oil change package. I work it out so that my 6 month intervals fall in late April and October. In October instead of a rotation, I have them put on my Winter wheels and don't get charged for the change over. ;)
With the limited mileage I'm putting on (approx. 5000 mi/yr), it means the tires are being rotated/changed twice during that interval. Also just had a 4 wheel alignment done last week.

Peter

Did oil change #1 at about 1,000 miles and changed to a full synthetic. Only use full synthetic now. Oil change #2 and #3 were done at a 5,000 mile interval. Oil change #4, #5, #6 and #7 have all been 7,000 mile intervals.

Last 3 oil changes were all done at Wal Mart. Running Mobil 1's 5W30 Ext. Perf. right now. Ran Mobil 0W30 in the winter. May even try 0W40 for the next one, and hottest part of the summer.

Is anyone here going to follow the oil life monitor's recommendation or will you be monitoring the oil the old fashion way?...
Welcome to the forum, BigBadBark! I see a few people have already weighed in on their preference. There’s no harm at all in changing your oil sooner than when it tells you; be sure to consult the Owner Guide:

The following can be found on page 419 of the 2012MY Explorer Owner Guide 2nd Printing in the NORMAL SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE AND LOG section:

“Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™
Your vehicle is equipped with an Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™ that determines when the engine oil should be changed based on how your vehicle is used. By using several important factors in its calculations, the monitor helps reduce the cost of owning your vehicle and reduce environmental waste at the same time. This means you won’t have to remember to change the oil on a mileage-based schedule; the vehicle lets you know when an oil change is due by displaying ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED in the message center. The following table is intended to provide examples of vehicle use and its impact on engine oil change intervals; it is provided as a guideline only. Actual engine oil change intervals will depend on several factors and will generally decrease with severity of use.

When to expect the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message

7500-10000 miles (12000-16000 km.) with “Normal” use:
– Normal commuting with highway driving
– No, or moderate, load/towing
– Flat to moderately hilly roads
– No extended idling

To download your own free copy of the Owner Guide, go to:

http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage

really no harm in changing it early...
...follow the manual and use the monitor. 5K is way too early.
I have just under 20,000 miles, and have changed the oil twice...
...I personally will stick with what I have always done, 6 months or 8000km (5000mi)...
I use a 6000 - 7000 mile interval and I also rotate the tires each time.
I just had my 3rd change at about 18k...
Whichever way you feel more comfortable is up to you, but PLEASE rotate your tires every 5,000 miles to get longer life out of them...
Did oil change #1 at about 1,000 miles and changed to a full synthetic...
Thanks for taking the time to help out, guys! Here’s a perfect example of how great the boards are here. :)

Cory

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. I'll probably end up changing it at 7,500 miles anyway.

Let me ask you guys something. Does it matter what type of oil filter is used once you switch to full synthetic?

Let me ask you guys something. Does it matter what type of oil filter is used once you switch to full synthetic?

Yes, it always matters, regarless of your oil choice. Use a high quality one. Or an EOM filter. At Wal Mart, I think I have at least 3-4 choices. Price range is $2-3 al the way up to $10. I use the one called either Extra Guard or Extended Guard. Can't remember.

Some "experts" even advocate to change the filter (just the filter) 1/2 way through the oil change interval.

I just checked my Wal Mart receipts. My oil changes cost about $61 using 6 quarts of Mobil 1 and a Fram Extra Guard Oil Filter XG10575 ($9.63). The one-notch lower quality oil filter is called a Tough Guard TG10575 ($8.44)

I just checked my Wal Mart receipts. My oil changes cost about $61 using 6 quarts of Mobil 1 and a Fram Extra Guard Oil Filter XG10575 ($9.63). The one-notch lower quality oil filter is called a Tough Guard TG10575 ($8.44)

Thank again for that info, I appreciate it. I see no harm in going to Wal-Mart, as long I ask for the type of oil and filter that I want.

Lease = According to computer

Own = Every 5K

Use a Motorcraft oil filter and oil if you can. If you ever have an engine issue, you were using Ford's products and are covered. Just a suggestion. Not saying you need to service at a dealer, although I recommend it, but keep yourself covered.

RonJrSVCMGR said:
Use a Motorcraft oil filter and oil if you can. If you ever have an engine issue, you were using Ford's products and are covered. Just a suggestion. Not saying you need to service at a dealer, although I recommend it, but keep yourself covered.

Completely untrue. Read the details of the Magnuson-Moss act. No need to keep yourself "covered" when using oil and filters that meet specifications. A manufacturer cannot deny a claim based on that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

Completely untrue. Read the details of the Magnuson-Moss act. No need to keep yourself "covered" when using oil and filters that meet specifications. A manufacturer cannot deny a claim based on that.

pretty sure they can and will....

also here is a fix to the link.

also from an owners manual.,

Ford production and Motorcraft replacement oil filters are designed for
added engine protection and long life. If a replacement oil filter is used
that does not meet Ford material and design specifications, start-up
engine noises or knock may be experienced.

ford makes one filter and one only, which is tested. follow the language. they can deny the claim.

Had an engine denied coverage at our dealership when a Fram oil filter failed and ruined the engine, which required prior approval and a rep sent out to view concern. If it had been a Motorcraft filter, it would have been covered (per the Zone Manager at the time)..... There is hearsay and then there is real life.

Had an engine denied coverage at our dealership when a Fram oil filter failed and ruined the engine, which required prior approval and a rep sent out to view concern. If it had been a Motorcraft filter, it would have been covered (per the Zone Manager at the time)..... There is hearsay and then there is real life.
That is the main reason I have always had my oil changes done by the dealership the last 12+ years. It is just another form of insurance. Not to mention all the free coffee you want to drink and the free vehicle wash with every service.:thumbsup:

Peter

But what are the chances of that happening? (Knock on wood) I have never taken any of my Fords to the dealership for an oil change, even when they offer the free oil change. I had a 2007 Ford Expedition that I immediately switched to full synthetic oil after 5,000 miles. I believe it was Havoline. The guy that does my oil changes is someone I've known for many years, so I trust him. I honestly can tell you guys that I miss that Expedition. I took care of it as I do all my vehicles. I followed the proper maintainence schedule according to the manual. I finally changed out the plugs at around 94, 000 miles. I replaced two of the COPs that were causing a missfire too, but I did that together with the plugs. Other than that, I NEVER had to take it to the dealership for any issues, period. Changing the plugs made a huge difference, almost made it feel new again. Unfortunately, since it was a 4x4 it really was a gas guzzler. When I traded that in for the 2012 Explorer, it had approximately a little over 100,000 miles. The guy that appraised my car said he was impressed with the way it performed considering the high mileage. Just to give you an idea. I once owned a 2002 Explorer which I never switched to synthetic, instead used regular conventional oil every 3,000 miles (never at the dealer). I never took that to the dealer for engine failure either or anything else. Traded that it with 74,000 miles. Again, I guess I've been lucky that engine failure has never been something I had to worry about. I'm hoping my Explorer will last me for many years to come. I know I'd lose my cool if engine failure happened to me, especially if it was dut to a faulty oil filter. Having said that, I have nothing against taking it to the dealer, however, it's just a personal preference that I take it elsewhere.

But what are the chances of that happening? (Knock on wood) I have never taken any of my Fords to the dealership for an oil change, even when they offer the free oil change. I had a 2007 Ford Expedition that I immediately switched to full synthetic oil after 5,000 miles. I believe it was Havoline. The guy that does my oil changes is someone I've known for many years, so I trust him. I honestly can tell you guys that I miss that Expedition. I took care of it as I do all my vehicles. I followed the proper maintainence schedule according to the manual. I finally changed out the plugs at around 94, 000 miles. I replaced two of the COPs that were causing a missfire too, but I did that together with the plugs. Other than that, I NEVER had to take it to the dealership for any issues, period. Changing the plugs made a huge difference, almost made it feel new again. Unfortunately, since it was a 4x4 it really was a gas guzzler. When I traded that in for the 2012 Explorer, it had approximately a little over 100,000 miles. The guy that appraised my car said he was impressed with the way it performed considering the high mileage. Just to give you an idea. I once owned a 2002 Explorer which I never switched to synthetic, instead used regular conventional oil every 3,000 miles (never at the dealer). I never took that to the dealer for engine failure either or anything else. Traded that it with 74,000 miles. Again, I guess I've been lucky that engine failure has never been something I had to worry about. I'm hoping my Explorer will last me for many years to come. I know I'd lose my cool if engine failure happened to me, especially if it was dut to a faulty oil filter. Having said that, I have nothing against taking it to the dealer, however, it's just a personal preference that I take it elsewhere.

its not people that use good quality **** that blows engines.

its the quick lube guys with 50 cents per quart oil and 89 cents oil filter.

i wont even tell you how many engine knocks, vct, and every other engine problem i have seen from quick lube guys.

how do you think they can make money for a 20 dollar oil change and a salary / rent on the property.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RonJrSVCMGR said:

Then you have a warranty claim with Fram. I do use MC filters, but because of the deal on Amazon that I got 6 for.

Back