• Register Today It's free!

Oil change on a sport...

Fpo

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Well I thought of doing a write up, but Might be overkill.
So I will post a few photos for reference.

1 Safety first! Make sure you can safely get under the vehicle.

67C27A63-2279-426F-845F-54C49796FE04.jpg

2 On the sport there is some duct work that helps cool the rear turbo It has to be removed

68D2CDE9-3581-4C04-9E74-A59899844F0F.jpg

3 Because the filter is straight

22CC7D37-6CE7-4918-8FC0-EB81B5ECE9A8.jpg

I like to fill the filter before Installing

17406B17-E4B0-4AB7-A5A5-52F53E2BA590.jpg

that way it gets oil pressure that much faster, reducing engine wear.

Just a few photos for reference. Hope it helps if you have not done a oil change on your sport yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see a 25,000 mile oil filter. What is up with that ?

That does not sound good at all.

I see a 25,000 mile oil filter. What is up with that ?

That does not sound good at all.

That sounds Awesome if you ask me. Synthetic media catches ( and can hold ) more dirt than paper.

EAO_ExplodedFilter_900px.jpg

EAO_efficiency_900.jpg

I'll NEVER see a 25,000 oil change on my Explorer, there is way too much fuel dilution with the ecoboost. But I have been doing 25,000 on my Mustang since it was new.

10CA0985-3041-478E-A58C-1485CE89E889.jpg

This thread is simply a self served advertisement.

I do use some synthetic oils, and I buy my oil in bulk. That means over
100 gallons at a time. Multiple units in my business.

I wonder what Ford thinks of a 25,000 mile oil change, with or without warranty?

The answer is, no warranty applies.

That's fair enough. Now I understand about being a sponsor.

Advertisement or not I appreciate the pics. It looks like once the duct is out of the way the filter comes straight down, which is nice.

Some have said the duct is tough to get back on right, did you have any trouble with that?

Thanks.

Jon

I'm allowed to do so... My username is green(Paid Vendors are green here on Explorer Forum .com)

AMSOIL has their own warranty.
25k.jpg

http://www.amsoil.com/shopres/warranty/amsoil-warranty-lubricants.pdf

Just to be clear, AMSOIL is absolutely not providing a warranty of anything but their oil. If you put that stuff in your car and drive it 25,000 miles without a change, and your motor blows up, you'll get nothing but old oil and a blown up motor. This text is from the warranty you linked:

WHAT THIS LIMITED WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER: Failure of equipment due to not following original equipment manufacturer (hereinafter, “OEM”) recommendations for warranty coverage, including lubricants, maintenance and drain intervals, prior to the first installation of AMSOIL lubricants, or any other pre-existing condition or OEM defect unrelated to the use of AMSOIL.

I dont think you meant that the AMSOIL oil was good for 25,000 miles; I think you meant the filter would be. However, I highly doubt that, and would never go to the trouble of doing an oil change without replacing the filter anyway; it's so simple and cheap.

I like the write up but just a comment on the picture where you referenced the duct work that had to be removed to get at the filter.

The duct is NOT for cooling the rear turbo, its part of the Tow package and standard on the Sport. Its directing air to the (PTU) Power Transfer Unit.

It has quick disconnect wingnut style fasteners, its easy to remove.

By the time you screw around going to the store, buying oil and filters, getting your unit up on ramps, getting oil and a filter, drain the oil, remove the filter, but new oil in, figure out what to do with the old oil, I have been in and out of the Quick Lane and gone on to doing other things. And I don't have my cost involved, so it's hugely cheaper for me to pay the $29.95 and have it done and everything else checked.

I have better things to do than change my own oil.

Advertisement or not I appreciate the pics. It looks like once the duct is out of the way the filter comes straight down, which is nice.

Some have said the duct is tough to get back on right, did you have any trouble with that?

Thanks.

Jon
No its super easy.
If its not lining up, just wiggle it a little.

I dont think you meant that the AMSOIL oil was good for 25,000 miles; I think you meant the filter would be. However, I highly doubt that, and would never go to the trouble of doing an oil change without replacing the filter anyway; it's so simple and cheap.

The oil and filter can go 25k IF you are normal service( even 15k at severe service is not that bad)

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...synthetic-motor-oil/?code=ASLQT-EA&zo=1667299

SERVICE LIFE

Normal Service – Up to 25,000 miles, 700 hours of operation or one year, whichever comes first, in personal vehicles not operating under Severe Service.
Severe Service – Up to 15,000 miles, 700 hours of operation or one year, whichever comes first.
Severe Service: Primarily short trips (less than 10 miles [16 km]); turbo/supercharged engines; commercial or fleet vehicles; excessive idling; first-time use of AMSOIL motor oil in a vehicle with more than 100,000 miles; frequent towing, hauling, plowing or driving in dusty conditions.

Modified engines (non-stock) and those using E85 fuel are excluded from extended drain recommendations.
Change at the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended drain interval outside U.S. and Canada.
AMSOIL Ea® Full-Flow Oil Filters are designed for extended change intervals. With other brands, do not exceed six months or 10,000 miles unless longer intervals are recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.
Check oil regularly to maintain proper fill levels.

By the time you screw around going to the store, buying oil and filters, getting your unit up on ramps, getting oil and a filter, drain the oil, remove the filter, but new oil in, figure out what to do with the old oil, I have been in and out of the Quick Lane and gone on to doing other things. And I don't have my cost involved, so it's hugely cheaper for me to pay the $29.95 and have it done and everything else checked.

I have better things to do than change my own oil.

I hope that you don't come on here whining & crying after the Quick Lane people put the wrong oil, don't put the right amount of oil, or screw up your vehicle. It is well known to have happened many times.
Besides, I & a lot of others here have pleasure and pride in making sure things are done right by doing our own work. For us, it's just a part of owning our vehicles.

Cheap does not equal quality.

I hope that you don't come on here whining & crying after the Quick Lane people put the wrong oil, don't put the right amount of oil, or screw up your vehicle. It is well known to have happened many times.
Besides, I & a lot of others here have pleasure and pride in making sure things are done right by doing our own work. For us, it's just a part of owning our vehicles.

^^^this!

Seems I've read this before. Quick Lane being Ford's service department would be responsible for any "screw ups". I also find it much more convenient to have the dealer do all my oil changes etc. Never had an issue in the 4+ years I've been going there. In fact I've never had an issue with any such service, dealer or independent in the 50+ years I've been driving. Can it happen? Of course it can and that applies to ALL companies supplying such services. Even DIY people have screwed things up. It hasn't happened to me or anyone I know of. I have no issues with people wanting to do their own servicing. That's great but many of us would rather not and that's our choice. Expensive doesn't necessarily equal quality either.

Peter

Seems I've read this before. Quick Lane being Ford's service department would be responsible for any "screw ups". I also find it much more convenient to have the dealer do all my oil changes etc. Never had an issue in the 4+ years I've been going there. In fact I've never had an issue with any such service, dealer or independent in the 50+ years I've been driving. Can it happen? Of course it can and that applies to ALL companies supplying such services. Even DIY people have screwed things up. It hasn't happened to me or anyone I know of. I have no issues with people wanting to do their own servicing. That's great but many of us would rather not and that's our choice. Expensive doesn't necessarily equal quality either.

Peter

Very true Peter. Proof that not all dealerships are equal and not all people are mechanically inclined. If a DIY'er screws up, they only have themselves to blame. If a dealership/service dept screws up, some will admit it then make it right, and some will deny any responsibility.
How many times will a DIY'er get on an internet forum and admit their screw ups? How many whine & cry when any service place screws up?

I had to laugh when I got toward the end of this thread because just this week I got an oil change for my wife's xlt. When I walked in, I saw a friend of a friend. He has owned a car restoration business for 20+ years. I thought he was getting parts or something. He said, "nope, I'm getting an oil change." Go figure...

In the world of instant access to info via the inter webs, people will complain endlessly about anything. The large majority of posts are ones looking to solve a problem or have complaints, which skew the entire perception about quickie lube places, mechanics, service shops, doctor's offices, lawyers, real estate agents, accountants, loan officers, financial advisers, etc. screwing something up. All the while, a large subset of the other "positive" experiences never get posted up.

I've done both DIY and paid someone to do my oil changes in the past. I don't mind either. Just depends on weather, time allocation , the mood I'm in and what other DIY stuff I have going on. I've never had problems with either approach. Certainly wouldn't call anyone out for choosing one or the other either.

Back