• Register Today It's free!

oil change

Audio_1

Reaction score
City, State
Red herring
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
im planing 0on changeing the oil. i usuly just take it into a quick lube. but i got to save a little money now. so im planning on doing it myself. what oil viscosity and how much? 97xlt 4.0L. i know you replace the filter on change also.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your owners manual will tell you both capacity and viscosity. You can also go to the "Explorer Related Polls" section and check out the "What oil is in your rig" thread.

I use Amsoil synthetic 0w30 in mine with an Amsoil filter.

Good luck.....

Oil change, although a simple procedure, is probably the most important maintenance you can give your truck. I change mine EVERY 3000 miles w/ a new filter. There is a good post which continually bumps to the head of this forum on "oil filter studies".
Even if the oil doesn't appear dirty, it still needs changing. there are many additives and detergents in motor oil which break down at about that mileage.
I would do oil changes myself. If you take it to a "Jiffy-Lube" type place, watch them like a hawk. I've had them strip out the plug, I've heard of a case where they broke off an oil sending unit fitting, and I paid for a "full service " change where they check ALL the fluids. I got home and double checked. My trans fluid was only half full. Now I do all changes myself.
If you are new to working on your ride, points to remember are to:
Use a QUALITY filter and oil.
Don't install the filter OR plug too tight.
Check for leaks after the change.
Change oil regularly. Write down the mileage so you don't forget.
Dispose of oil properly. (Before hand, get a leak proof, closed container and make some calls to auto parts stores or service stations that will have a dump for your old oil.
I check for oil sales in the paper or auto parts, and buy a case for the garage at a good price even though I don't use it right away.
While you are under your vehicle, check other fluids, grease and lube any zerk fittings, check exhaust system, etc.
Check the owners manual or buy a Hayes shop manual at a parts store for all your specs.

Originally posted by oceanworker
I change mine EVERY 3000 miles w/ a new filter. There is a good post which continually bumps to the head of this forum on "oil filter studies".
Even if the oil doesn't appear dirty, it still needs changing. there are many additives and detergents in motor oil which break down at about that mileage.

se a QUALITY filter and oil.
Don't install the filter OR plug too tight..

Then how do you explain excellent oil analyses after up to 10k miles w/o an oil change?

Please define quality oil and filter.

What are your thoughts on synthetic oil?

Thanks.....

Uh-oh, another (which oil and drain interval is best) battle is brewing.

i know how to chane the oil and everything, ive done it in other cars

5w-30. 5 quarts with filter change.

I change mine EVERY 3000 miles w/ a new filter. There is a good post which continually bumps to the head of this forum on "oil filter studies".

This was true about 20 years ago, but the quality of oil and duration before breakdown has increased over that time. Most automotive enthusiasts, automotive manufacturers, and analysis experts agree that you can go 5000 to 7500 before convential dino oil breaks down.

The maxima board I go to (www.maxima.org) has done extensive analysis on several brands both synthetic and convential. I don't push my convential oil change past 5000 in the Explorer, but the analysis has shown that it can go longer before loosing all of its additives.

The only time I hear mention of 3000 mile oil changes is from the oil companies and quick change places.

You are probably correct in your views on the lifespan of oil in your engine. I change mine every 3,000 miles though. I don't have the data, but you are right that oil technology has advanced over the years and engines can run 5000 -7500 miles before a change is needed. My uncle years ago gave me a study he worked on at Standard Oil Ca. (shows you how old the study was) which listed many different brands of oil, their ingredients, and when these additives broke down. I wish I still had it.
For instance, Castrol was tested to have better lubricating qualities, but has less additives than say Penzoil. But Penzoil kept the engine cleaner.
Synthetics can go many, many more miles between changes. On my next vehicle I will definitely consider it.
The point is, pick a change schedule and stick with it.
It would be good to get a survey going on oil type , brands , etc.

The oil companies love the 3k change guys......

Thanx for the Maxima.org link.

as a generic spec at work, we always use 10w-30 kendall motor oil in everything..unless a customer specifies something else... and we normally use web oil filters unless the customer wants something else and/or we cant get the web one on hand..... we charge $29.xx for the full service one...we also really check the other fluids.... a lot of cars that come in need new air filters and coolant flushes also, so keep that in mind and check those..... our recommendation on an interval is 3k or 3 months.... but the average that people bring their cars in is about 4k miles

Here's my rant/opinion:
I always changed the oil at 3,000 miles when I used regular oils, but now that I use synthetics, I change the filter every 3,000 miles and the oil every 6,000 miles. I know the oil analysis has shown that this is a waste, but 5 qts of synthetic oil only runs about $25 so I will change it this often. I'm not worried about spending an extra $100 a year on oil to give myself the peace of mind that my engine is getting extra protection. I make enough money to where I don't mind spending a little more money. In my opinion, sense oil is relatively cheap, the only reason not to chage it for 10,000+ miles is to be a cheap-ass. If you like to wait a year or more before you change your oil, then please do so, but myself and many others will change oil at 3,000-6,000 miles, no matter what oil analysis says. I'm not trying to offend anyone who chooses to wait this long, but don't say its dumb, etc. to us guys that are **** about our maintenance schedules.
;)

Originally posted by jimabena74
our recommendation on an interval is 3k or 3 months....

And why not? Its in the businesses advantage to change oil and peddle filters.

Is this a Jiffy Lube type facility?

it isnt really a jiffy lube type of place.... more of a tire place that does other stuff.... we are really called Wheel Works... but the logo on or uniforms say Tires Plus, and that is also how we answer the phones.... we also replace timing belts, radiators, axles, water pumps, batteries, alternators, starters, brakes, and a bunch of other stuff.....

Back