Oil Filter Confusion - Job 1 Engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Filter Confusion - Job 1 Engine

Paul Fithian

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Job 1 RWD V8 Limited
On the 2001 Sport Trac I recently acquired with 255,000 miles, I observed that the oil filter contacts the engine mount on the passenger side, see below. Per the Ford Etis build date of 13.06.2000, engine label build date of 5/18/00, and other observations, this is a Job 1 engine, right?

But it has an FL820s (metric threads) oil filter installed. It was my understanding that Job 1 engines used FL1A filters (SAE threads).

So I'm a bit confused on this. Engine runs great, doesn't burn oil, and the plugs I just removed look great. No chain slap either.

How could this metric thread filter be installed on Job 1 engine? I will pick an FL500s oil filter to see if it fits better in this setup.

Engine Build Label.jpg

They seem to use both the SAE and metric size filters. My Job 1 Sport uses the FL1A SAE filter and my Job 2 (build date 8/15/01) ST uses the FL820S metric filter. Whichever one fits is what you have to use.

I obtained a Purolator LH 22500, equivalent to the FL 500s in size. Here is how it looks compared to the FL 820s that was on the engine.

Not sure how these filters are fitting this engine, as it is a Job 1 and should take the FL1a. Unless at some point an adapter was installed to change the oil filter threads on it?

I think I will run it with this new size filter to prevent any chance of the engine mount rubbing a hole in the side of the filter, which could lead to complete loss of oil.

Oil Filter Clearance Compare FL820s FL500s.jpg

I went back and looked at the owner's manual that came with the vehicle.

It is second printing, calling out an FL 820s oil filter.

So it was built this way.

Interesting that some Job 1 engines did have the metric oil filter specs.

I'll continue to use the FL 500s size to avoid filter contact with the engine mount.

Back