Oil level overfill? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil level overfill?

This is one of the reasons why no one changes the oil in my vehicles but me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is one of the reasons why no one changes the oil in my vehicles but me.

Amen brother!

Treat my cars like my wife: I don't let other men touch them.

I always check the level of my oil in the morning after the vehicle has sat all night and before starting it. What I noticed is that one side of the dip stick will show the oil level is about a quarter to half inch above the full line. When I turn the dip stick a read the other side, it shows it is right a the top level of the safe zone on the dip stick. Don't know if one side of the dip stick is sitting right against the dip stick tube and the other side isn't.
encounter also this scenario, but after several cycle of in and out of the dip stick you will come up with the correct reading.

Hi All,
Please don't laugh! Last oil change I did on my 2016 Explorer 3.5 (non turbo), I ended up putting a 2/3 of a quart (about .6L) too much oil. The oil brand I got was of an odd size and I messed up when I added additional oil. To make matters worse, I didn't notice it right away until I did a routine oil check recently and we have driven the car about 2000kms since the oil change. I have removed the excess oil but just a little worried about it. Do you guys think I am okay or could this have caused any damage to the engine or the cat? The EXP ran like usual with excessive oil and still running great. Never noticed any smoke from exhaust and don't think it used up the extra oil.

You'll be fine.

I've seen cars overfilled by 2 qts, you'll be fine. Just keep an eye on the level to make sure it was in fact overfilled and not coolant mixing in making the level rise.

Ditto.

@Ray500

Trust me we are not going to laugh at you.

You would be amazed at how many members have put too much oil in their engine.

Now if you came here asking about how to refill your blinker fluid.....

We would have to talk.

Hi All,
Please don't laugh! Last oil change I did on my 2016 Explorer 3.5 (non turbo), I ended up putting a 2/3 of a quart (about .6L) too much oil. The oil brand I got was of an odd size and I messed up when I added additional oil. To make matters worse, I didn't notice it right away until I did a routine oil check recently and we have driven the car about 2000kms since the oil change. I have removed the excess oil but just a little worried about it. Do you guys think I am okay or could this have caused any damage to the engine or the cat? The EXP ran like usual with excessive oil and still running great. Never noticed any smoke from exhaust and don't think it used up the extra oil.
Hi Ray. Your thread was merged with this existing one on the same issue. As you can see, you're not the first to do this.

Peter

Thank you guys for the reassurance. As for coolant mixing with water, I hope that is not the case. I did lose about half an inch of coolant in the reservoir over the past year and I have asked for everyone's thoughts on that in the appropriate thread.

Back