• Register Today It's free!

oil light is on

yellowcat

Reaction score
City, State
las cruces new mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4x4
Hi I have a 91 ex 4.0 the oil light is in response to the iol level being low, correct. Not sure what motor I have, or how to tell. The presurre gauge is fine, the oil light just stays on. Sounds like the unit in the block went bad?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi I have a 91 ex 4.0 the oil light is in response to the oil level being low, correct. Not sure what motor I have, or how to tell. The presurre gauge is fine, the oil light just stays on. Sounds like the unit in the block went bad?

No, the unit in the block sounds fine. Mine does the same. What the problem is a low oil level. Just because you have low oil doesn't mean the pressure will go down. You need to check the oil level via the dipstick on the right side of the engine. It has a "cross-thatched" area which you will see, and it will read "Normal" or "Full" or something of the sort. If you need to add oil, you'll see the oil cap on the left side of the engine.

Also, just for future reference, all First Generation engines (unless otherwise modified) have 4.0L OHV V6 engines.

But just remember, when the light comes on, you probably just have a low oil level, either from a leak or from it burning in the engine. It's to be expected with older engines, so I'd just add oil as needed.

-Josh

Right. My 94 oil light comes on when I am a quart low. Just shut it off, fill, & it goes out

Walter

oil light

your motor you have is a 4.0 ohv' over head valve'

actually, what had happenned was I was crawling around in the desert late at night when the light came on. I just dumped a quart of oil in hoping to make it home on that. When I checked the oil in the morning, it was a quart over.
So now when I start the ex the light stays on, but when I am driving if I pop started at like 20 mph the light stays off.
If the light indicates low oil- the sensor is in the pan? If it is for pressure it will be in the block? It has been cold, rainy and muddy, so I am not crawling under the ex till it dries up.

Back