Oil Pan Leak

explorerluv09

Reaction score
City, State
boston ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
Hi all,

This is the first of a few posts regarding my 92 XLT.

I've had it for a little over a month now, and while the "honeymoon" period is still going, I've encountered a few issues. I must have hit a bump a little too hard one day, because now I'm starting to leak both oil and power steering fluid.

The first thing I notice was the oil. I first noticed an occasional drop or two on the ground if the car sat for a while.

Now, after about five minutes of driving, smoke comes out of the engine with the smell of oil.

I traced the leak and found oil seeping out of the bottom of the oil pan. It's a very slow leak, and the oil pools up around the edge of the pan and eventually drip down to the ground.

I believe that the smoking occurs when droplets of the oil get sprayed into the engine compartment while the vehicle is in motion.

As you look at the pictures, I wiped the pan and can see that the oil is seeping from a hairline crack along the seam of the pan:

PICT1595.jpg

PICT1588.jpg

PICT1587.jpg

I hope someone can tell me of an inexpensive way to fix this.

Other forums suggest that I will have to have the pan either welded or replaced, and from what I've seen in the Explorer Manual, I would have to turn the engine over to accomplish either task.

Can this repair be made with JBWeld, LocTite, or some kind of epoxy? I honestly don't have the money to have the mechanic work on it, and the fix seems to be so simple.

As always, I really appreciate the feedback and suggestions from the members of this forum.

Thanks! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

P.S. as far as the power steering fluid, I'm going to first try the Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak, and hope there's nothing wrong with the pump...

Hi:

Yes you can use products like JBWeld. Although since the opening is on the seam you may find the crack will expand later. Try to buff up the surface as much as you can before applying the fix.

PaMnd

PaMnd,

What is the best thing to buff it with? What type of cleaning solution would you recommend?

Sorry for the questions, this whole oil pan and JB Weld thing is new to me...

Thanks,

explorerluv

id just use some 80 grit sandpaper or something

i would degrease that whole oil pan. if you have a dollar tree store there get this
156844.jpg
or get brake cleaner. then sand it like stated above then rinse with brake cleaner again.

ok... Because I'll have to sand and clean, it sounds like I'll have to take off the oil pan.

Is there any way to do this without having take out the engine and turning it over?

Hi:

It may be difficult to work on the pan in place but I do not see a reason to remove the oil pan or to lift the motor. I use a product called Quick Steel (same idea as JBWeld) and have applied it to fuel tanks which were leaking at the time of application. As long as the surface was not flaky then it stuck. According to your pictures you were able to wipe the area so you should be able to use sand paper, wire brush, etc to scuff the surface. It does not have to be perfect.

The product Quick Steel is a two part epoxy in a putty form. You cut off the desired amount and then kneed (I kneed on a piece of glass) the two parts into a consistent grey putty. I also have a small quantity of water handy. You have about 10 min to work with the putty. I use a knife to get a workable amount of putty, apply to the damaged surface, wet my finger and press the putty into the seam and around the edger of the damaged area. Apply more putty until the area is covered. The putty works under water so water does not affect the quality of the putty. Water allows you to spread the putty without it sticking to you. The putty hardens after 15 min and is good to go within 30 min after mixing.

Trust that helps
PaMnd

Thanks PaMnd!

I'm going to tackle this project this weekend... will let you know of the results.

It's actually a Rear Main Seal leak. Make sure it's not leaking on the passenger side and seeping down, making you think it's coming from that crack. Mine does similar. It's really only a drop or two or night, so it's nothing you should worry about. Mine is duct taped. Haha.

The car smoking is something unrelated, that oil leak is EXTREMELY minor.

Pictures are a little fuzzy, but I tend to agree that this is not a pan leak. If oil is from gap in seam at low point where bellhousing meets oilpan, it is probably the rear main seal leaking. I would not seal that gap, as I think it is an intentional vent/drain.

x3 to this not being a pan leak...

But it could be a leak at the rear gasket and/or rear main seal...I can tell you the replacement of the pan gasket with the engine in place is difficult but not impossible.. I just installed mine today but I have a Gen 2 X with nothing in the way...

Have you checked the torque on the pan bolts yet? I installed a new shortblock this past weekend and finishing up the externals by this weekend...

Pan gasket? Main seal? Torque on pan bolts?

ok... now I'm concerned LOL

Just like Tribestros said, it looks like it seeps from a seam at the bottom, then a pool is formed inside the groove, until finally a drop falls from the passenger side of the pan.

I thought the smoke was coming from oil that may have been sprayed on the bottom of the exhaust manifold when I drive (where the smoke is coming from).

Does this mean i should just take it to the mechanic to have the gasket replaced?

How difficult is it to get that pan off from under the engine (and then,of course put it back)?

I don't mind being down there and am up to the challenge if I knew what to do.

How many pan bolts are there, and how do I get to them?

Thanks again, everyone for your posts.

Am I crazy, or is the bellhousing bolt in the lower left corner of pics 1 & 2 (post#1) loose?

Back