Oily charcoal canister and surrounding area | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oily charcoal canister and surrounding area

Dan R

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Clara, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ranger 3L RWD
The charcoal canister and the surrounding area is oily, but not a strong gas smell.
Is the canister plugged? What is the remedy?
Thanks,
Dan
Ranger 3.0 V6

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oil being slung off the belt?

Is the power steering cap loose?

Check to see if your dipstick is properly seated, and your power steering cap is tight/leaking. Power steering can make a mess if overfilled, too. Check to see if anything is leaking onto the belt.

Check to see if your dipstick is properly seated, and your power steering cap is tight/leaking. Power steering can make a mess if overfilled, too. Check to see if anything is leaking onto the belt.
It looks like oil was escaping from the auto trans oil lines entering and leaving the radiator cooler.
I replaced the radiator 4 years ago.
Strangely, the oil was not flung everywhere just around the carbon canister.
I had used Teflon tape to seat the union, unsuccessfully.
This time I used o-rings.

All of my vehicles do this around the steering pump and surrounding area. I think the pump mists a small amount of oil over time, out of the vent in the cap. Also if your vehicle uses power steering fluid, some could have been spilled filling it in the past. I just pressure wash them every once in a while.

All of my vehicles do this around the steering pump and surrounding area. I think the pump mists a small amount of oil over time, out of the vent in the cap. Also if your vehicle uses power steering fluid, some could have been spilled filling it in the past. I just pressure wash them every once in a while.
I have seen oil come out of the cap usually at full lock.
Air in the system?
I usually keep the minimum amount of oil in the reservoir.
Yes, it does seem to mist.

I have a question on the charcoal canister .. the 2 caps keep coming off. I even tried super glue. They still come off. Are they only pressed on ? Are the supposed to act like vents ? Any help here is appreciated.

The only oilyness I've seen around that area has been due to a power steering cap that wasn't seated, and it blew ATF on the underside of the hood. The two charcoal canisters I have are dry and clean.

Watchman, I'd imagine the caps are coming off due to pressure. Perhaps your purge valve isn't working?

I replaced that valve when I did the head gasket... I'll check it out. Thanks Nate

What you are describing sounds like crankcase overpressure that is venting in that area. Check the PCV valve for proper operation and consider having a leak down check performed if no other cause is found.

I have a couple of questions... If either of these were not "operating" wouldn't that throw a CEL ? The next question for the purge valve .. is there a way I can test it ? The PCV valve I take can be tested by shaking it and see if it rattles. Centaurious - When you say leak down check ... how do you do that ?

A CEL can be caused by lots of things, did you get the code yet? A canister purge valve circuit problem will set a code. It's merely a solenoid valve to allow engine vacuum to suck vapors from the can during start and cold operation. It's off and on, controlled by the PCM.

If your PCV rattles then not totally gummed up. That doesn't mean its not obstructed. Chances are it's fine, but with them being so cheap, I would replace if in question.

A leak down test is how you check the combustion chamber seal after checking compression. You are wanting to pin point cylinder leak down to rings, valves, seats etc. Probably not an issue in your case, but worth noting. If blowby was bad enough for oil to accumulate under hood, you got some serious power and running issues. Make sure the dipstick seals. Excessive crankcase pressure can push oil out of it. Tell tale PCV, or cylinder damage symptom.

Without seeing it, I would say you are mostly seeing misting power steering fluid that has escaped it's reservoir. Or the results of a spill in the past.

I believe the PCM will set a code for a circuit problem but unlike newer vehicles, the Explorer has no real way of knowing if the solenoid is actually working. If you unplug it, you should get a CEL. I don't think the PCM can look at the O2 sensor, crank sensor and fuel trims and determine if the purge is working. The PCM, again unlike newer cars, has no way of measuring vacuum in the gas tank, flow through the lines and thus can't see if the system as a whole is working or not.

I've always wondered of a way to test the purge valve. I guess you could remove it from the vehicle, hook it up to your own 12v supply and attach hose to it and see if you can blow through it?

I have a couple of questions... If either of these were not "operating" wouldn't that throw a CEL ? The next question for the purge valve .. is there a way I can test it ? The PCV valve I take can be tested by shaking it and see if it rattles. Centaurious - When you say leak down check ... how do you do that ?

To answer the CEL light question, no. A CEL will not always be displayed even with severe engine damage present. I have seen a 4.0 engine with a burned piston exhibit what you are seeing at a more severe level. as the blow by was so severe it coated the engine bay in oil, sprayed it out of the dip stick tube. There was no check engine light displayed.
I second the leakdown test suggestion.

. I've always wondered of a way to test the purge valve. I guess you could remove it from the vehicle, hook it up to your own 12v supply and attach hose to it and see if you can blow through it?

That would just about be the only way. You could hook a vacuum pump to the line, pull it down then turn the key on. Vacuum should go away as the valve opens.

You are also correct in that the PCM can only see a problem in the circuit, such as being open or the resistance being out of spec. On these older systems they calculate everything like newer vehicles. Kind of amazing how far they have come.

First off .. I am not having any oil or power steering fluid leaking or CEL on. I should have started a separate thread when I chimed in above ... sorry to cause any confusion guys .. but it did tie into the charcoal canister. I replaced the charcoal canister last year because the spout for one of the plugs somehow broke off. So, I bought a new one and installed it. A cap a couple months ago was found in the driveway and behold a 2nd one was under the truck. They fell off or blew off. So I super glued them on the spouts. Nothing is broken .. they look like they are just pressed on. Then, a week ago I found the caps lying in the driveway and am puzzled. So, Nate suggested that pressure blew them off and suggested I check the purge valve which I replaced 2 years ago when I did the head gasket.. Thanks again for any suggestions.

Back