• Register Today It's free!

Old Man Emu Nitrocharger shocks

95eXplorerXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
do any of yall know if OME makes the nitrocharger shocks for the explorer???i know that they make rear springs but im just curious about the shocks...my friends 4runner has them and it rides great so now im jealous and would love to have a comparable ride.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. Ray Lobato has them front and rear, and Gerald has them on the rear. However be prepared to pay $$.
I priced 'em at $120 for fronts and $90 rear (a peice) Probably not the best prices, but not anywhere near my budget.

lol brady.. i dont think his 4 runner rides that well!

I forgot what I paid for my rears but I got a heckuva better deal than Jefe's shopping produced. Guess I'm better looking :D

They are d@m# heavy duty tough, ride like the wind, have fantatistic dampening qualities and fit full 2" torsion/shackle lifts.

I bought a set of $70/apiece Edelbrock IAS and none of them lasted six months, which is why I tried the OMEs. They may be overkill if you don't do heavy offroading. Pick an OME up.... it weighs twice what a normal shock weighs.

The best deal in shocks I have found are the Gabriel VST. Same type of engineering and design as the much more expensive Edelbrocks, but only $20 apiece at PepBoys. You can't beat that. If you aren't planning on heavy duty abuse, I cannot imagine a better deal in shocks. I have custome extended a set for my front which I may replace with OMEs once they wear out, but I haven't been able to do that yet. Check my "Herc Tour Report" thread, the "Moab 2001" report, and others to see what I've put them through so far, and they are still working. I'm giving more than half a mind to stay with them, even rears when I wear the rear OMEs out, but I have to custom cut and extend them for my lift.

Pretty dang impressive for $20 shocks. I cannot imagine anyone paying the bucks for a set of Edelbrocks once they try the Gabriel VSTs at one third the price.

Hey Gerald,
I ever mention that you sold me on the Gabriels? I bought a set for the front, and wow. . .better than the RS 5000s I had on there (both on and off road). But I do want some OME's :rolleyes: Oh wait. . I'm going coil-over up front. . . :D

Do they make the VST's for a lifted application?

Yeah Jefe, they're pretty impressive. I am glad to be of service. Most people never pay attention to me :p

kaised, they don't make them for a 2" lift. That's why I custom extended them. If you'll click on "Gerald's Truck" in my signature line and go to the second post (my article on my mods) and scroll toward the bottom you'll see an entire section on shocks for torsion lift, what I've learned through experience, and how I dealt with it and customized, etc.

Originally posted by 4RunnerLTD98
why do huge Jeeps w/ 37s and 38s have winches? There very offroad capable? I bought the winch to use a few times w/ me but mainly when people get stuck, they call me and i charge them to pull them out. What a great way to make money.

You charge people to pull them out? What a cold heart you must have.

EDIT
We seem to have gotten off subject on this thread for the next page or two. I am going to delete all of our subsequent posts from yesterday and see if this thread can be steered back to the original subject.

Merry Christmas.

Back