UxHamby

Reaction score
City, State
Uxbridge Ontario Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 3.5
1998 5.0L V8 XLT
Hi,

I am having an issue with the windshield washers front and rear, on my, new to me, 2016 Explorer.

I could be wrong, but I understand from reading, here and elsewhere, that there is just one pump which serves both front and rear washer nozzles. I am finding this functionality rather hard to visualise.

Can anyone give me a quick description of just how this works, or put me straight on any apparent misconceptions?

Thanks,

Brian H.
Uxbridge Ont Canada

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The pump is mounted into the base of the fluid reservoir so its inlet always has fluid available to it.

The control logic reverses the polarity of the power to the pump so it can run in either direction. It has two outlets, one for each pressure direction, presumably with internal check valves. One line goes to the front, the other to the rear of the vehicle.

What is the actual issue with the washer that you're having?

Hi Brian. In case you haven't seen it. here is where it is located.

Peter

washer pump.JPG

ProjectSHO89 is correct, depends on which way it spins, but another way it could be accomplished would be to just put in a pair of solenoids to allow fluid to either line based on the computer logic controlling which solenoid is open, but really I mean, for safety's sake, by default the front washer solenoid should stay open until energizyed, and the rear closed until energized, so if there is a fault, you still have the far more important front washer working. That would cost more and take up more space. ;)

It might be helpful to look over the 2014 Workshop manual /wiring diagrams linked in my sig. No guarantees that nothing changed between '14 and '16, but I don't know of any reason why this would have changed. It details some tests you can do whether the washer doesn't work or is always on, and as expected, the wiring diagram for it.

but another way it could be accomplished would be to just put in a pair of solenoids to allow fluid to either line based on the computer logic controlling which solenoid is open,
There's absolutely nothing like that involved. It's as I described.

^ I know, just saying that is another way to accomplish that.
there is just one pump which serves both front and rear washer nozzles. I am finding this functionality rather hard to visualise.

For example anyone with a refrigerator with water dispenser and ice maker, probably has that setup, just gravity fed instead of a pump in that case (unless it's well water).

The pump is mounted into the base of the fluid reservoir so its inlet always has fluid available to it.

The control logic reverses the polarity of the power to the pump so it can run in either direction. It has two outlets, one for each pressure direction, presumably with internal check valves. One line goes to the front, the other to the rear of the vehicle.

What is the actual issue with the washer that you're having?
The washer buttons on the stalk, don't cause fluid to arrive at either front or rear glass. No sound of a pump running is heard, when pressing the buttons. Also, a fluid leaks from the reservoir, taking approximately a week to empty it. (I just took delivery of the car at the end of July.)

I would unplug the electrical connector to the pump first, to see if power is getting to it. If power is getting there, then you probably need a new pump, but once you pull the pump you could also supply 12V to the appropriate pins to see if it spins... I wouldn't do that long with it running dry, just a brief moment, considering the Workshop manual instructs not to operate it "prior to filling the washer reservoir". You can get the wiring diagram to see which pins, from that 2014 attachment in my sig that I mentioned previously, or the washer wiper section PDF attached to this post.

After checking for power, pull the reservoir and pump assembly to find the leak. If it isn't leaking then check the fluid lines to the pump. Based on location, I'm not sure if going in from the bottom or from the side (with wheel and wheel well liner removed) would be easier, but the workshop manual states to remove the right front fender splash shield for access.

If the wiper motor is not getting power, you have two or three options.
1) Use the wiring diagram to trace where power stops.
2) Use a scan tool capable of Ford-specific codes to pull any, if present.
3) Use the workshop manual (or similar) method to test.

See attachment. There's a lot there from the Workshop Manual.

Attachments

• 2014 Workshop Manual Washers Wipers.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 115

The washer buttons on the stalk, don't cause fluid to arrive at either front or rear glass. No sound of a pump running is heard, when pressing the buttons. Also, a fluid leaks from the reservoir, taking approximately a week to empty it. (I just took delivery of the car at the end of July.)
My guess would be that you need a new pump and perhaps a new reservoir. Can you tell where the leak is?
You have a rear washer relay but I don't see anything listed in the manual for the front or the pump.

Peter

but I don't see anything listed in the manual for the front or the pump.
Those are located inside the wiper motor module.

Back