windshield washer pump | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

windshield washer pump

Hey everyone, just stopping by to say thanks for the inputs on this thread. I found via google; its May 2021 and my 2012 Explorer has a dead pump. I wanted to relay that you don’t need to take off the front bumper to access. Here are some photos and this is what I did to access the pump location:

1. Loosen right/front lug nuts
2. Jack car at right front jack location
3. Remove right front wheel
4. Remove wheel well liner/cladding - lots of fasteners; this took the most time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Tom. :wave:
Thanks for the info. Were you able to reuse the fasteners?

Peter

Yes, there were 13 of those plastic fasteners. Easy to back out half way with a Philips #2 and pull out and re-insert.

So my front washer fluid dose not spray but the back does. The front makes no sound and wipers don’t move when pushing the sprayer button. The wipers do move if you turn just the wipers on. Switching the line at the pump does not make the wipers turn on or spray. The pump is getting power because it’s working for the rear. I did swap the out the wiper controller inside the vehicle and that didn’t work either. I have a 2013 Xlt 3.6 explorer. Any idea what to try next?

So my front washer fluid dose not spray but the back does. The front makes no sound and wipers don’t move when pushing the sprayer button. The wipers do move if you turn just the wipers on. Switching the line at the pump does not make the wipers turn on or spray. The pump is getting power because it’s working for the rear. I did swap the out the wiper controller inside the vehicle and that didn’t work either. I have a 2013 Xlt 3.6 explorer. Any idea what to try next?

Since you stated that the wipers don't wipe (and motor doesn't work) when you push the washer button for the front, sounds like it could be the button on the wiper stalk not working (or the connection for that button).

Since you stated that the wipers don't wipe (and motor doesn't work) when you push the washer button for the front, sounds like it could be the button on the wiper stalk not working (or the connection for that button).
It’s a brand new wiper stalk as well. My wipers wouldn’t turn off even when the switch was off. So I bought a new one. I’ll put the old one in and see if it sprays washer fluid if it does then I’ll have to return this wiper stalk.

It’s a brand new wiper stalk as well. My wipers wouldn’t turn off even when the switch was off. So I bought a new one. I’ll put the old one in and see if it sprays washer fluid if it does then I’ll have to return this wiper stalk.

Was the sprayer issue there with the old stalk as well?

Not saying that this is your exact fix, but it happened to me when I replaced the pump and it was because I played with the fuses before swapping out the pump. There are empty fuse slots where these fuses reside, so I accidentally put one of the fuses into a nonfunctioning empty slot that resulted in only the back washer working after replacing the pump. I then pinpointed the fuse that I moved to an empty slot and put it back in the correct slot to get the front washer working as well.

Not saying that this is your exact fix, but that happened to me when I replaced the pump and it was because I played with the fuses before swapping out the pump. There are empty fuse slots where these fuses reside, so I accidentally put one of the fuses into a nonfunctioning empty slot. I then found the correct fuse slot and all worked well.
I only pulled the #4 fuse on mine and tested it with a volt meter and it tested fine. I did the continuity test on the ohm meter and it beep like it was a working circuit the only other thing maybe the relay is bad?

113621CD-3573-4E85-BE61-1FC0DE90BE31.jpeg

It looks like there is another wiper fuse in side on the drivers side under dash?

I only pulled the #4 fuse on mine and tested it with a volt meter and it tested fine. I did the continuity test on the ohm meter and it beep like it was a working circuit the only other thing maybe the relay is bad?
Easy enough to check. Take out the relay and replace it with another relay with the same specs from another slot. Although I'm sure you did, double-check where you put back the #4 fuse.

Did you solve this problem and if so what was the solution? TIA

Did you solve this problem and if so what was the solution? TIA
I did not solve yet. I put old wiper stock back in and the sprayer still don’t spray. So I put the new stock back in and going to go buy a new relay and see if that works. Rear sprayer works fine and pump turns on for that one. The front sprayer don’t spray and no sound from the pump. It has a brand new pump so I am stumped

I did not solve yet. I put old wiper stock back in and the sprayer still don’t spray. So I put the new stock back in and going to go buy a new relay and see if that works. Rear sprayer works fine and pump turns on for that one. The front sprayer don’t spray and no sound from the pump. It has a brand new pump so I am stumped
I'm pretty sure there is another identical relay in the fuse box, therefore, you don't have to buy a new one. You can simply swap them out to see if it works.

How difficult would be to swap the rear and front tubing to ensure there isn't a blockage? It is also not unheard of that new parts might be defective.

Peter

So I’ve changed fuse, relay and pump and nothing works for the front sprayer. The front wipers work fine when you manually turn on the wipers. The wipers don’t work when you push the sprayer button and neither does the sprayer motor. I am wondering if the new wiper stalk is faulty? All other components are brand new and the pump works for the rear wiper so I will pick up another wiper stock and see if that fixes my issue.

I'm pretty sure there is another identical relay in the fuse box, therefore, you don't have to buy a new one. You can simply swap them out to see if it works.
I did swap out relays in the fuse box to no avail. I bought a new one just to have on hand and for testing purposes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How difficult would be to swap the rear and front tubing to ensure there isn't a blockage? It is also not unheard of that new parts might be defective.

Peter
I did that as well when installing the new pump and nothing for the front. The pump works for the rear sprayer. So the pump works.

Back