opening a metal fab shop down the road! interested? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

opening a metal fab shop down the road! interested?

99ex22

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wilsonville, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 5.0L 4x4 Eddie Bauer
I'm thinking very strongly about opening a off road metal fabrication shop down the road with one of my buddies and maybe my brother in law. I just wanted to see how many of you would be interested in Tube Bumpers, Rock Sliders, Skid Plates, Half Doors ect. for a reasonable price???

Rock Sliders would be around 150.00-200.00?, Bumpers will be 300.00-500.00? Half Doors will be 150.00-200.00?, skid plates 150.00-175.00?

Again, this is not a for sure thing, I just want to test and see how many potential online buyers we would have out there. I will be posting the same thing on other forums too. Thanks!:D

-Russ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a tuff economy now and money is tight. Remember one thing...You only have one chance to make a First impression.
And this is so critical when doing online sales and the resulting feedback.
I don't know how your finances are, but starting out more like a hobby and then later if it takes off, do it full time.
Seems to me the shipping would be a nightmare.
The question I have are you going to have a shop where people can bring their vehical to you to have your products installed?
There is a shop a few miles from my house that stays very busy doing installs of 4x4 after market items. And none of it do they make.

Good luck

I dont intend offend you, and I aopologize in advance if I do but, I would not base a business decision on people that are on a forum/chat room..

And I agree with rookieshooter, shipping will kill your business for most of what you plan to make.

what kind of fab experience do you have? The three links show a bunch of bolt on stuff. I think there is a spot for a small fab company that makes things for the explorers and rangers. Not sure there is enough for a fulltime gig let alone for three people to make a living out of it.

Do you have pics of your work? I think the quality of your fabwork will determine if people are interested in what you have to sell. No one wants to pay top dollar for booger welds and poorly fitted products.

Hopefully you have some good equipment and tools to pull it off, people expect a fast turnaround for their money..."I need another week to finish" isn't gonna cut it. The RBV crowd really needs a one stop shop like the Toyota guys do. It would be nice to buy a doubler kit, some sliders/bumpers and maybe a weld it yourself cage kit from one place. That would be something you could grow your product line from.

I say best of luck if you get into this.

I don't know how your finances are, but starting out more like a hobby and then later if it takes off, do it full time.

what kind of fab experience do you have? The three links show a bunch of bolt on stuff. I think there is a spot for a small fab company that makes things for the explorers and rangers. Not sure there is enough for a fulltime gig let alone for three people to make a living out of it.

I agree with these two replies. I've been doing metal fab for years as a hobby, finally went to school for it. Now that I'm out of school with all these enhanced skills, I still cant find a job. Doing rock sliders, extended A-arms, anything I can on the side just to keep my sanity.

Back