Opening in front air dam/ bumper--what is it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Opening in front air dam/ bumper--what is it?

gregross

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
My Ex, XLT with the tow package just came in to the dealer. I went to check out (don't have delivery yet). I noticed that there is an opening in the front bumper/air dam on the passenger side of the vehicle, that I had never seen on any pictures before. Does anyone know if there is a piece missing or is this due to the tow package? The dealer didn't know.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I noticed that the other day on my LTD, I have the tow package as well so I agree that it must be functional.

I'm pretty sure if you have the two package, you have a larger lower dam. I assume for cooling purposes.

our ex also has that big air dam/channel and we also have tow package

I'll have to look at mine. Maybe this is for air intake for the extra oil cooler that comes with the Tow Package??

I am referring to an opening below the basic air flow opening. It is the lower section of the bumper/air dam on the passenger side.

From what I've read, I believe it's to direct cool air back onto the transaxle to help cool it when towing.

From what I've read, I believe it's to direct cool air back onto the transaxle to help cool it when towing.

All the vehicles with the trailer tow package has it.

It was stated a while back that ALL Explorers had a trans cooler. So, I suspect this device on the Explorers with the tow package, is an air intake for the oil cooler. Since the oil cooler only comes with the addded tow package.

Back