Opposite of "death rattle" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Opposite of "death rattle"

Reaction score
City, State
North Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V6
After reading countless posts for hours, I have not seen anyone with the same issue... 97 soho v6 197km

Mine sounds JUST like the death rattle description but the time is different...
Every post I read, it says when starting it makes a the noise...

But when I start (in cold weather) there are absolutely NO bad sounds for a good 15minute, until the engine/oil warms up, then it rattles at about 500rpm on idle, as soon as I give it a LITTLE bit of gas (still under 1000rpm) the rattle dissapears and is not heard until just above 2000rpm and up...

I tend to pick the right speed (and acceleration) to keep it under 2000rpm and can drive without hearing the rattle, but as soon as I need a little more pickup it rattles again much quicker... Could it be the timing chain still?

I gave it an engine flush (with kerosene), changed oil filter and filled with thicker 10W50 castrol... The noise dissapeared for about 4 days and slowly came back to square one :(

regularly changed oil and last month replaced splugs which looked normal without signs of issues.

PS> Is this the tool I need to adjust timing if im taking the block apart? OTC-6488?

Thanks folks for any help!

mine does the same exact thing! its a 99 4.0 SOHC. sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't do it at all
its defiantly making me nervous tho

These are timing chain issues. It does not matter if the noise comes and goes, or starts at a certain RPM. It is the chains and their guides that is causing the noise. Changing the oil more often, or using thicker oil will not help.

There is more than enough info on this site to give you all you need to fix it, or at least know what is wrong

Back