Options with new bent beams...

Josh S.

can't kick the habit
Reaction score
City, State
Seabeck, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 sport 4x4
Hola. I just finished installing my camburg cut and turned 4x4 beams last night and had a few questions...

When finishing up, I began to notice the angles were much different of the stud for the coil retainer and all that. When I still had the dropdown brackets, the beams came out straight across so it was easy to bolt up. It is harder now without a coil compressor, but we still got it on. Anyways, my shock mounts are way off again, so I have to get it redone for the 4th time now, which sucks.

I am running camburg extended heimed radius arms, camburg cut and turned beams(non-widened) with superlift 5.5 coils and normal ****ty shocks. I NEED TO GET SOME NEW SHOCKS AND COILS!!! Which I guess brings me down to my question...

I am debating between reservoired shocks with standard 5.5" eibach coils...ooorrrr...just say screw it and dump down the cash and go coilover.

I dont really know the pricage on coilovers, so could somebody clue me in? As far as I can remember theyre like 1k each or somethin...

This is what Ive been thinking...There isnt even THAT much price difference between the two. If I went reservoired shocks, I would buy the camburg coil buckets and crap=450. Reservoired SAWs are like 350 each=700, eibach coils x2=100. So that equals about 1250.

So I guess how ever much coilovers are+a few hundy for some shock towers and thats about it.

What do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh one more thing...I took off the front swaybar and I want to take off the steering stbailizer too. Can the truck handle this now or do I need to wait till I get better shocks to have this stuff off?

Khris, I know youre not running swaybars or stabilizer. When did you take this stuff off your truck

is the camburg kit not good? i have heard it rocks? why are you having it redone? what is wrong with the bolts not being the right way?

I would lay down the extra cash and get the coilovers. You'll be kicking yourself for not getting them later. Go big or go home.

The camburg kit is good jimabena, its just that my shock mounts that I had on the radius arms need to be lengthened in order for the shocks to bolt up. The turned beams cause the stud for the lower coil retaining bolt to be at an angle and not straight up anymore so it is a pita to put back on.

How much do coilovers run? Can anyone get a pricebreak on them?:D

Why not just call camburg again? It depends on the size of the shock but Im guessing that a SAW 2.5 coilover would be around 600 bucks, so 1200 for the pair.

Camburg has a coilover kit for the explorer or at least it's in works as we speak. I chatted with one of their techs a while back. They pissed me off when they said they were not shipping fiberglass fenders anymore.:eek: CoryL also does coilovers, he could give you a good price and what to look for in a shock tower.

CoryL is also a Camburg Dealer... He is a bit swamped right now with projects.. But he is a good guy and you should definately send an email his way if you are interested in stuff... He is also one of our sponsors on the site :)

Um... If ya went with coil overs... you'd possibly have to build more than just some towers, but a cross brace over the engine... I believe Tom and Paul, who both are running coilovers have done.

Also.. thought for all... TTB springs are stiff.. And when people go to SAS... wilde horse 3.5in springs are recommended for 5 or so in of lift... What if someone were to use 3.5 or 5.5 wild horse springs on a TTB front end? Probly wont work, but i could be wrong.
Pete

oh yah def. man. I am fully planning on doing this within a few months, already lined it up with a guy with a shop and we discussed hoops, engine cage, bump cans, etc. Should be real nice.

Back