Overhead DVD install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overhead DVD install

ia

Reaction score
City, State
ankeny, ia
All I wanted to show you pictures of our Alpine DVD install. It ran about $850 better than the factory $2500. We looked into the Ipads but our children are just to young. I had a rca cable ran into the aux input under the radio so we can hear it over car radio(works better than fm mod, also wish we would have ran video cable to watch movies while parked). Over all I am fairly satisfied with the system. Just wanted to share since many of you have asked about DVD options.

100_1561.jpg

100_1559.jpg

100_1563.jpg

100_1565.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks great did you do the install yourself?

How'd you run the A/V cable all the way to the MFT? It looks like a super clean install. Very nice!

Looks great did you do the install yourself?

I used to work at a Car Audio shop so my old installer and I installed it. You do have to cut the headliner. This system has a wireless remote so it is fairly simple to control.

How'd you run the A/V cable all the way to the MFT? It looks like a super clean install. Very nice!

We went from the screen to drivers side of headliner then followed the headliner to the a pillar through side of dash, then under dash above foot feet along console(the side of the console just pulls off easy) and finally into the sync box. By the way if you do do one of these installs the headliner is actually held up by a magnet( Which could explain some of the complaints about the rain noise.) We would have installed the screen further forward but that is were the roll over support is. This system actually cost me about $600 but if you had to pay for install it would probably run $850.

Nice install.

Just curious - How does the unit mount to the roof?

And what did you do to take the headliner out?

Nice install.

Just curious - How does the unit mount to the roof?

And what did you do to take the headliner out?

You can tie into the roof roll over support or do what we did is us heavy duty epoxy to mount mounting plate to the ceiling. Others will drop the entire headliner(remove trim on edges, lights, hooks etc, and sandwich a piece of hard board between roof and headliner then mount the mounting plate to the sandwiched board. Crutchfield has a few good videos on their site showing install of overhead system. Any reputable shop would be able to perform an install like this.

Looks very nice, great install.

Looks like you don't have the dual moonroof option correct?

Great idea to wire that up to the front SYNC screen, the FM Modulation sound is terrible.

Did anyone else try this, and did anyone try it with moonroof? I'd love to have an overhead system because then all the seats in the rear could see it. Granted, you give up the ability to watch multiple movies at the same time, but that's minor in my opinion

Back