Overheating...at a loss | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overheating...at a loss

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLS
Hi there. I am at the end of my wits here...Any help is appreciated!

I have had an 06 Explorer for 2 years, bought it used. Last year I had a radiator leak and replaced it. Worked great after that. This year I noticed coolant puddled near the engine but wasn't sure it was the radiator. So I tried many things and finally ended up replacing the radiator, the hoses, fan clutch, water pump, tstat housing, coolant temp sensor, tstat, bypass hose, and radiator cap. I've replaced all of the coolant with premixed. I've bled all of the air out of the system. I have no leak, but I get overheating and my heat works intermittently. The only thing I haven't done is flush out the heater core or replace heater core hoses. Today it overheated driving for a few minutes from the grocery store, and the reservoir was nearly overflowing. I've sucked out coolant from the reservoir now, but haven't test driven it. I'm sure it will start overheating again though, since NOTHING seems to prevent this. I am completely at a loss of what to do and really do not want to get rid of the truck.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this and what I should do? I'm thinking of draining the coolant and flushing water through both heater core hoses. I don't know what else to try.

Any input would be much appreciated!

Alex

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another thing to add....when it is overheating, I'm not quite sure it really is. I put it in Neutral and shut the car off and let it coast to a safe spot. Then I wait a minute and start it up and the temp goes to perfectly normal. It's just so odd.

i am thinking water pump or it could be a head gasket. it might be a good idea to put a scan tool on the car while driving and watch what the coolant temp does. what engine do you have? when and how often does it happen? (first start from cold engine or more often)
even know you have a new tstat may want to test it just to make sure it is good.

Thanks for your reply.

I have the v6 4.0. It seems to happen sporadically; sometimes I drive it and it's fine -- the heat works as soon as the temp gauge gets moving. Other times my heat never works, and I am starting to think that turning the heat on is affecting it.

I have a Bluetooth scan tool and I'll start monitoring it. It just seems odd that the gauge is shooting up, im interested to see if the app I have will show differently. And again, the fact that it goes back to normal operating temp after I shut it off for less than a minute seems odd. Water pump is brand new. Sensor is new.

Thanks again

Also, when it does start overheating - the temp gauge shoots up. I'm talking about from normal to maxed out in 15 seconds or less. It just goes straight up. That's why I thought it was an air pocket or something...

Okay, I took your advice and went for a drive with my OBD reader running. Right from the get go, it seemed normal. I drove around the neighborhood and my coolant was reading at about 140 degrees (I had driven it about 45 minutes ago). The heat was working at this point. I drove around a bit more and the temp crept up to about 180-185 degrees. Around this temp, the heat stopped working. The temperature stayed around there for a bit and then went to 191-192 according to OBD (the gauge on my dash remained at normal). Then a minute or two later the temp went up to about 210-216 and stayed at 214. At this point I pulled into the driveway because I didn't want to be driving far when it overheated. Strangely, my gauge still stayed at normal operating temp -- that worries me.

So thanks for the idea, I'll likely keep my eye on the OBD app for a while. But now I have some questions related to this...or at least I'll think out loud: Perhaps the t-stat IS getting stuck because 216 seems to be running hot, no? Perhaps the sensor is bad (even though its new) because my gauge should not have reported normal if it was 20-30 degrees above 192 (operating temp from my understanding)? And again, I'm stumped on why the heat is not working. It seems I have plenty of heat to blow out, so perhaps my heater core is blocked?

I don't mind replacing the sensor, the tstat (though AM housings don't seem to go back together well with the 3 bolts once they've been opened from my experience with these housings), and I don't mind blowin water through the heater core hoses. I just don't want to do all of this if it doesn't seem like the cause.

Let me know if what I'm saying makes sense or if I'm missing something here. As always, I really appreciate any thoughts and input!

Alex

the 214 overheating makes it sound like a failing tstat (just had mine replaced. mine would not over heat to the point that the gauge hit the red but it would get to 230-240 before the tstat would open and cool the system but i still had heat) the no heat is what is weird you could try bleeding the cooling system again if you have rear heat the turn that on too along with the heat for the front.

Thanks again for your input; much appreciated.

I got up early this morning to try and re-bleed the cooling system. Topped off the radiator and left the funnel system attached (I have one of those funnels that connect to the modified radiator cap for this purpose). The car took a while to creep up to 180-195, but eventually got there. The upper radiator got warm, but I will say that it seems like it's lacking pressure. I was expecting it to firm up a bit when the tstat opened up; but again, it did get warm.

At one point the car got up to about 205 and then it cooled down and stayed around 190-196, but I never really had heat coming from the vents.

I think I may go to ford and get a Motorcraft tstat from them tonight after work. Then over the weekend I may try flushing the heater core -- I'm thinking that my heater core is possibly plugged up with dirt and crud and maybe that's why I'm not getting heat consistently? Sometimes the heat works great, but it seems like as I'm trying to get to the end of this problem it's fewer and far between that I do actually have heat.

Regarding flushing the heater core, I've read that you drain the coolant and then use a garden hose through both input and output hoses to flush crud out of the core. Are there any issues with me doing this that I should be aware of? I have no leaks since I changed out the near-entire cooling system, and no puddles on the passenger side - so I'm not inclined to think my heater core is leaking. That being said, it should be putting out heat in my opinion.

Let me know your thoughts on this -- does this sound like logical/good next steps? Every time I bleed the cooling system it does not overheat. That's another reason I'm thinking heat core is clogged -- maybe its preventing proper flow to engine at times? Not sure here.

Thanks!
Alex

Update. I went to Ford this morning to buy the tstat and the parts guy gave me the spiel about how the housings crack and fail all the time...something I was keenly aware of. However, since I am really getting tired of this project I decided to buy the entire housing, thermostat, sensor, and gaskets from him. It was $190 out the door for everything...a small price for my sanity. One thing he sold me that never came with other kits (and which I admittingly failed to realize was required) was a gasket for the bottom of the thermostat housing. I am starting to think that this gasket missing is allowing air to seep into the housing, and since the heater core hose is right above the inlet for the housing -- I'm wondering if this is allowing air to get into the whole system and causing my heater core issues as well as my gauge issues.

I've noticed that when my radiator is full, it is (like yesterday) causing the reservoir/degas to max out completely. Does it seem logical that air getting into the system near the housing would cause this sort of overfill? When I am filling up the radiator and bleeding it, I am topping the entire radiator off to basically the radiator cap and then the reservoir level I am leaving at the "cold' full mark because it is near freezing here in Chicago and unless I am driving it for a length of time -- the reservoir level does not go up and down much. Its after a long drive that I notice the reservoir filling up completely.

I'm thinking that little gasket at the bottom of the housing may be causing all of my headache. I'm going to replace the entire housing using the Ford parts on Saturday. Then I'll bleed the entire cooling system again, and see where that gets me. Hopefully this will be the solution -- otherwise all I can think of is to flush the heater core because, again, I do not have any coolant leaks.

Seems, at least theoretically, that air coming in through the housing could be the culprit of all of this.

Fill the block with antifreeze before you throw the top on the thermostat housing. Then throw the top on and fill the rest from the rad. These things like to get an air bubble underneath the thermostat when you open the system. It sits there and wont allow any heat to get at the thermostat and open it. This causes the engine to overheat as well.

Hi again, everyone! I believe this whole project is wrapped up and resolved, and I wanted to share a few of my reflections and lessons learned. I also have a question to pose later....

First, I mentioned earlier that I had recently purchased a new thermostat housing, tstat, seals (tstat & lower housing), and temp sensor from Ford. These were Motocraft parts in the original bag. Now, I have seen plenty of videos and comments about the benefits of using Ford parts -- but I have to say, that is a load of crap. First, it turned out that my housing wasn't the cause of my air leak -- and the seal I thought that I was missing actually was not missing, the seal comes in all of the aftermarket housing kits I've seen. I spent $185 for all of the Motorcraft pieces that essentially come in the $70 aftermarket housing kits. Last Thursday I went to put on the thermostat housing using the Ford parts. It looked like there was some space and potential for a leak, but I figured it was Motorcraft and I installed it anyway -- in about 25 minutes. I filled the system up with coolant and was getting ready to bleed the air out when to my amazement there was coolant streaming out of the Ford parts. It was coming from the lower housing -- not where the upper housing meats the lower housing, but in between the layers of the lower housing. I was very irritated. I had torqued the bolts properly, and as you all know the torque is a very low specification (84-89 inch lbs). Because of the holiday, I had to rush and get the housing off and go back to Ford. I rinsed it out and showed the parts guy where the leak was, and explained to him that my mistake was putting it on -- I should have returned it as soon as I saw the space on the housing itself. He was kind enough to swap out the housing for me, but when he brought yet another new one out of the bag -- it was even worse! I could not believe it. Here I was spending twice as much for OEM parts and all of the housings they had in stock were clearly poorly sealed. I exchanged it anyway -- but I didn't feel comfortable installing it. So on the way home I got another aftermarket kit for $70 and just visibly comparing them it was clear that the aftermarket housing was sealed WAYYY better than the Motorcraft housing. I ended up installing the aftermarket kit instead. I am using the Motorcraft temperature sensor, but nothing else.

One thing to note regarding the temperature sensor is that it sits pretty loose. I was concerned it wouldn't seal well, but it's holding up quite well with no leaks -- and I must say it's nice that it installs effortlessly.

Once I got a good housing installed, I was able to fill up my system again. Tech by Trade's tip about filling the block with antifreeze was a great idea, though I didn't fill it before I put the housing in. What I did was install the housing and then fill it after that. The aftermarket thermostat housings have the space for two sensors, and the second space has a plug in it. I just took that plug out and then filled the housing with coolant through the heater core hose inlet on the left side of it. Once you see the coolant come out of the extra sensor hole -- then you can put the plug back in (that way the air will come out of the block).

Since I was tired of installing and uninstalling parts, and draining and refilling the coolant, I decided once I had it all apart that I would flush the heater core. I went to the hardware store and bought a basic hose fitting -- I guess it's a quick connect fitting. But, I screwed it on to my hose and it fit perfectly into the hoses for the heater core. One tip here -- the heater hoses do not come off the metal fittings well. One of the hoses connects to some sort of plastic switch -- I'm assuming it's the switch to open the flow when the heat is on. That plastic piece is much easier to remove the hoses from --- so if you hold on to the plastic switch (underneath the tensioner pulley on my '06 4.0 V6), you should be able to pull the hose off easily once you remove the clamp. For the other hose (IB -- I believe), it came off easiest at the housing, so I just used those two locations for flushing my hoses. If you attached a small hose (I used my carpet vacuum hose) to them you can use them as an outlet hose and direct the water away from the engine towards the ground. Then I just went back and forth and flushed water through them. I'm not sure that my heater core was blocked up -- but I had everything apart and didn't want to find out that the core was blocked up later.

I recommend changing all of the Ford spring-type hose clamps when you are doing anything related to the cooling system. I think I had 2 that failed to provide proper seal: the lower radiator hose and the heater hose between the water pump and the plastic heater switch I mentioned above (it's about 6 inches, an elbow type hose).

I did have a small leak, and that ended up being the 6 inch elbow-type hose I just mentioned. It is the hose that connects from the lower left side of the water pump and goes to the plastic temp-switch for the heater. You can get Dayco part #A71877 to replace it, but it is about 1/4" short. You are probably better of getting heater hose and just curving it slightly (don't allow it to pinch -- a strong, flexible heater hose will not pinch and will work perfectly). Once I swapped that hose out and put new hose clamps on, I was able to fill up the system with coolant once again and bleed the air out. If you've never bled the air from your cooling system -- it's easy. I used the Lisle 24610 Spill-Free Funnel, it was like $40. Basically you fill up the entire system with coolant and then, with the funnel connected to your radiator, you over fill it -- let the funnel get to about 1/4 of the way full. Then run the car for 15-20 minutes with the heat on to allow the heater core to open up (that plastic switch I mentioned). If you give it a little gas from time to time you'll see air bubbles come out as the coolant makes its way through the system. Worst case scenario you can jack up the front end a bit to ensure the radiator is the highest point in the cooling system, though that really doesn't seem necessary. If you have to do that, you probably have an air leak like I did.

So, all in all this project was major pain in the ass. But, once I got all of the parts installed and found the leaking hose everything came together well. I will say that I got lifetime warranties on everything I bought, so that's somewhat of a positive aspect. And for far less than the price of paying a mechanic, I got a lot of new tools (pressure tester, fill funnel), lifetime warranties on everything, and a lot of new experience. I ended up replacing the tensioner and the idler pulley since I had them off for access.

So that's my two cents for anyone who's facing similar problems. Don't discount the heater hoses!!! And definitely replace the hose clamps as you're doing the job or you'll be doing it later anyway.

Here's my question though.... I've been monitoring my coolant temp a lot more closely with my GoPoint BT1 on my iPhone since this project, and I'm starting to think that I'm focusing on it too much. Anyway, my temperature rises slowly now but will eventually get up to 205-208 degrees. Around 207 or 208 it tends to jump down to 196 and works its way back up. Obviously my thermostat is opening and letting coolant flow through, but that seemed a bit high to me. That is, until I read on a forum that the Haynes manual states that the V6 thermostat is 194-210. I'm not exactly sure what that means, because I thought at 194 it would just open up and let coolant flow through the radiator. Is that not the case? What does the 210 have to do with this? Is it opening up by 210 and closing back at 194? If that's the case, I'm right within those ranges. My truck is between 196 and 208 -- so two degrees off of the recommended 194 to 210. I will be keeping an eye on it for the next week or so, but I should add the my gauge on my dashboard remains at dead center of "Normal" now -- it's exactly where I'm used to seeing it. So, clearly the Bluetooth BT1 is more accurate than my gauge on my dashboard...but is 208 considered normal? Can anyone explain what the range 194-210 really means?

Thanks everyone!
Alex

The 194-210 is the range that the thermostat will open. At 194 it will just start opening and at 210 it should be full open. My temp usury gets to 205 then drops to 194 then hovers between 194 and 200 for the rest of the drive.

Back