Paint Issues - Non Hood | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How on earth does that get through the factory quality control inspections!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My sport had two really small dents in the rail under the license plate on the rear gate. I didn't see them during delivery, and when I did see them after I thought they were lines of the car until I was washing it and realized they were actually dents. My rep helped me out and had his manager put it on the initial delivery check.

I went ahead and had them repair the dents... this required removal of the lift gate, all badging, and moldings, body smoothin and paint. They did an excellent job, blended perfectly into surrounding panels, and I couldn't be happier. If it hits a good body shop this is the only way to go, a touch up will only end up causing a larger problem in the long run. As long as it goes to a body shop that knows what they are doing, you won't be able to tell that it was ever repainted.

If it would stop raining I will will wash/wax and take photos of my car, I've been waiting for them to correct all the delivery issues I had (new wheel, new door sills, and now repaired dents on lift gate)

We had a 2 inch scratch from the factory...th ey offered to repaint but I told them to just use touch up paint as I don't think it would hold up as well as factory paint. I had the hood of my Honda repainted and it never held up on the interstate

After taking delivery of my new white tricoat sport I noticed a small piece of something under the paint near the rear lift gate handle. It's small but definitely noticeable as it sticks up from the surface. If I had to describe it...it looks like about 1/8" of the lead of a mechanical pencil. It's under the paint so you don't see it from 10' away. I dont like that it's there, but I can live with the look. But my concern is that it will eventually get knocked off (since it sticks up from the metal) and then be a hole in the paint.

I went back to the dealer and they want to repaint the whole rear lift gate. I asked if they could just knock it off and touch it up. He said they could but it might not look good. And then Ford would probably not cover the repainting once it was touched up.

I DON'T like the idea of repainting. The dealer said I can decide what to do anytime within the warranty period. What should I do?

The tri-coat white is one of the hardest colours to paint and to match up with the rest of the car. Proceed cautiously.

Poor paint quality

Took delivery on a 2013 limited last week. The triple coat Platinum looked great until I got it home and my son pointed out the issues. First we noticed the blisters and exposed metal on the inside of the rear door. Upon further investigation we found exposed primer on the insides of all four doors, and a big fat hollow blister on the tailgate edge. The dealer says "no big deal , we will just paint it" My problem with that is the primer envelope from the factory will be sanded and ground to prep for the repair. I am afraid that will make the doors more susceptible to rust in Northern NY. The other problem have is the lack of quality control. This was seen by a number of Ford employees at the factory and ignored. It is this lack of ownership that gives American workers the bad name they have when it comes to quality. I work in a quality driven manufacturing facility, and we take quality to the floor. The workers in the Chicago plant obviously don’t care. Enough of the rant. Do I have them paint and risk the rust potential or leave it as is. While I am at it, the interior door color is just white. I assume this is a cost saving move which stinks on a $40K + car. Last but not least, the bottom of the doors are not sealed. Is this the new norm or did they forget that as well?

Took delivery on a 2013 limited last week. The triple coat Platinum looked great until I got it home and my son pointed out the issues. First we noticed the blisters and exposed metal on the inside of the rear door. Upon further investigation we found exposed primer on the insides of all four doors, and a big fat hollow blister on the tailgate edge. The dealer says "no big deal , we will just paint it" My problem with that is the primer envelope from the factory will be sanded and ground to prep for the repair. I am afraid that will make the doors more susceptible to rust in Northern NY. The other problem have is the lack of quality control. This was seen by a number of Ford employees at the factory and ignored. It is this lack of ownership that gives American workers the bad name they have when it comes to quality. I work in a quality driven manufacturing facility, and we take quality to the floor. The workers in the Chicago plant obviously don’t care. Enough of the rant. Do I have them paint and risk the rust potential or leave it as is. While I am at it, the interior door color is just white. I assume this is a cost saving move which stinks on a $40K + car. Last but not least, the bottom of the doors are not sealed. Is this the new norm or did they forget that as well?

It's hard to tell without seeing it. Post some pictures and we can opine.

Welcome to the Forum mcgilmore.:wavey:
I have the same colour and my doors are also white on the inside. No big deal for me. Makes it easier to 'touch up' should the need arise. I am sure that the body shop doing the repairs will use a primer first before the final paint coat. The rust perforation warranty is for 5 years, unlimited mileage so keep your paperwork on the repair just in case. One thing I personally would not do is leave it as it is. Chances are it will only get worse, especially with any paint bubbles. I also am not sure what you mean by "the bottom of the doors are not sealed." There are drainage slots to allow water to drain. Other than that, the bottom of the door should be sealed. A picture would help as jrmexplorer mentioned.
Too bad that this issue had to be your first post.

Peter

The drainage /weep holes are there. Where the outer skin folds over is open I am used to ther being seam sealer along this joint. I will get some pictures up.

The drainage /weep holes are there. Where the outer skin folds over is open I am used to ther being seam sealer along this joint. I will get some pictures up.
I think I know what/where you mean. It is at the very bottom where the fold is. Although nothing is visible, I'm sure that there must be some kind of adhesion of the one part to the other. If not, I'm sure that it would produce a rattling noise.

Peter

Took delivery on a 2013 limited last week. The triple coat Platinum looked great until I got it home and my son pointed out the issues. First we noticed the blisters and exposed metal on the inside of the rear door. Upon further investigation we found exposed primer on the insides of all four doors, and a big fat hollow blister on the tailgate edge. The dealer says "no big deal , we will just paint it"...

Hi mcgilmore.

This is Ashley and I'm helping out here while Cory and Crystal are out or busy.

I'd like to have a customer service manager reach out to you regarding your paint concerns. Could you please PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info?

Thanks!

Ashley

Hi mcgilmore.

This is Ashley and I'm helping out here while Cory and Crystal are out or busy.

I'd like to have a customer service manager reach out to you regarding your paint concerns. Could you please PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info?

Thanks!

Ashley
Welcome aboard Ashley. :wavey:
Pretty soon we are going to need some kind of information tab to identify who at FordCustSrvc is the 'Rep of the day.' :D

Peter

completely agree with you, it's just a cheap design that will rust out, it should have had a rubber seal of some kind..
Some similar threads:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375831

Having spent my fair share of time in a body shop - vehicles with these rubber seals tend to show the worst damage from rust/rot in these areas. The seals trap moisture, dirt and salt, leaving it with no place to go - and being that 9 out of 10 people would never think to clean/inspect behind and around these seals, its not uncommon to see door rot on fairly new vehicles. Especially true in the snow belt/salt belt areas like New England.

That said - I hope our 14 doesn't come looking as the OP described...

Welcome aboard Ashley. :wavey:
Pretty soon we are going to need some kind of information tab to identify who at FordCustSrvc is the 'Rep of the day.' :D

Peter

Peter,

LOL! What can I say; we all love this forum so much we have to fight over it. :biggthump

Thanks for the welcome!

Ashley

I did not see this post till today but my 2014 Exp S had several paint bubbles upon delivery. I just took it into the dealership and it is getting repainted. From my recollection they were on the front bumper, rear quarter panel, and lower part of one of the doors - oddly not on the hood.

I'm glad the dealership (Waldorf) took care of via a claim to Ford and provided a loaner.

Same prob on green gem 2013 here. My 99 is in the same driveway and still not a stitch of problems on it.

Ok you guys that say its ok for the dealer paint and body to repaint, let's talk,
I worked at a p&b at a dealer most are slobs and NOBODY has an electrostatic that's is
It would be a joke not to hang this directly on the mfg when it's a car this new.

I would appreciate a call or pm from the ford rep here . My
2 previous trips to the dealer (fuel pump recall) and mft updates were a joke answers scripted by the general manager to appease but not solve.

Please post your paint outcomes here for others to reference

Thanks Rick Nelson
Miami

Same prob on green gem 2013 here. My 99 is in the same driveway and still not a stitch of problems on it.

Ok you guys that say its ok for the dealer paint and body to repaint, let's talk,
I worked at a p&b at a dealer most are slobs and NOBODY has an electrostatic that's is
It would be a joke not to hang this directly on the mfg when it's a car this new.

I would appreciate a call or pm from the ford rep here . My
2 previous trips to the dealer (fuel pump recall) and mft updates were a joke answers scripted by the general manager to appease but not solve.

Please post your paint outcomes here for others to reference

Thanks Rick Nelson
Miami
Rick, you can use this link to send a PM to Crystal (FordService):
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
Include your name, daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealership info in your message.

Peter

Sorry to join the party late- but here goes.

I bought my husband a 2002 Dark Red F-150. We loved the truck until I noticed a rainbow effect on the roof of the truck. I took it to a pain shop who pointed out that the truck was repainted and they showed the lines in the grooves of the roof of the truck. I had owned that truck with only 8 miles on it, and none of the paperwork had shown that the truck was painted. Until then....

So I took the truck 11 years later back to the same dealership with the invoice from the paint shop. I provided the original paperwork showing the truck was sold as "new" to me and nothing indicated that the truck had been repainted until that time. The GM gave me two options- to repaint the truck or he would buy back the truck and over-pay for it. I took the 2nd choice, and drive out with a 2013 F-150 Lariat Eco S/C. I now realize that the GM didn't have to offer me that choice- but they did. I had no idea but they assumed the truck was damaged during transport and honestly when buying new- do you look in the grooves on the roof for a small paint line? I didn't- but I do now.

Good luck and trust in the dealer. I recommend being direct and calm about it- which is the approach I took which paid off- as the truck I had purchased - I ended up owing $7500.00 and had a brand new vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm going to agree with the OP here. Call it spoiled. I'd be pretty upset buying a new car and having to get it repainted. Oh, and I'm really trying to like my Explorer as well. Just got back from a trip to Sedona. Tried to get into the car this evening, it's completely dead. At 6K miles, you think I should be happy with my "new" Ford?

So far, I've noticed that when using the autostart, the climate controls seem to have a mind of their own (yes it's set to "last settings"), this thing idles ROUGH at times to the point of almost dying, it does have a transmission shudder at times, and now is sitting dead in my garage.

I'm SHOCKED that new car buyers defend a brand when they have issues from the start! I'm actually beginning a search for a Toyota Landcruiser to replace this thing. Before you think you should throttle me as the a Landcruiser is not the same as an Explorer, I'm looking for a 1991-1997 FJ80 with less than 150K as I know it will be more reliable. Sad.

My wife and I have already agreed to only keep this thing for one year. It's a shame, it drives nice, love the dash, seats are comfortable, but really, dead in my garage? Sigh...

...I saw in a long range reliability site (where the webmaster sometimes posts here about updated info re: Ford Ex's info) that the TLCruiser and TSequia are among the most reliable used-to-new vehicles over time, having fewer issues than other vehicles of the same age & class, as well as different classes...amazing...

Not sure of which site - here is one;
http://www.tradeinqualityindex.com/
Very easy to read but look at the definitions of the rating style.
Large vehicle test group
Pick your manufacturer and read down the list

Back